1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve announces Steam for Macs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Great news!

3. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Well it's nice to see some games actually being released for the Mac, the latest release if I am correct was Bioshock, and that came out quite a while ago. Still unless the developers of the miriad of games available on Steam port them to the Mac, putting Steam on the Mac wont open up a lot more games (though nice one Valve for porting the source engine).

I still maintain if you want a gaming machine, a properly built PC is the way to go. It's up to 50% cheaper then a Mac for essentially identical specs.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Nice move Valve. Attacking all the fronts.

5. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Now if only they would port it to Linux we could tell microsoft to F**K them selves cus i wouldn't need them

6. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Thinking about it this could be a good thing it may make Microsoft worry about losing more market share to apple making them think more abut there pc games strategy or lack of one at the moment cus if other developers follow valves lead it wouldn't be good for direct X and there for the Xbox 360??

7. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

8. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

it dependes, based on how MS is now, I wont be surprised if they continue to "better" their products. quite frankly they are for the first time listening to what the users need (well sort of), and I like it, competition makes better products in the long run :)

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

+1 to linux!

10. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

+9000 to linux!

11. blohum

blohum What's a Dremel?

"allows a gamer playing on their work PC"... I wish I knew a boss who would allow that!

12. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! Stop please! My sides are bursting! That's the biggest "steaming" pile I've heard being whined on this site for a long time. mi1ez and KoenVdd, you should be ashamed of yourselves for following it up.

13. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

The ability to use purchased games on either platform is reather good news :D
    I like this :D

14. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

care to explain?

15. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I don't think anybody should get their hopes up just yet about playing a lot of games on their mac. Remember when EA at an Apple keynote promised that they were going to produce games for macs? What happened there?

Really, though, if you have a port to the pc, from what I learned in that article about porting a while back, what is there to do except re-compile it for mac?

16. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Someone has a different opinion and he doesn't agree.

I've been trying to distance myself from Windows for a while, but gaming has been the only thing stopping me from formatting my Windows partition. When I tried Windows 7 I immediately went out and bought a Mac just to avoid it.

Anything that brings gaming to UNIX and UNIX-like platforms is great in my opinion. OSX could be just the start.

17. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

The difference then was, people had to re-buy titles for the mac. If you already have Half Life 2 or anything from the Orange Box, you will automatically have it on the mac too. Now the mac has a reputable digital distribution platform available to it as well as a nimble yet influential developer behind it, rather than the lumbering beast that is EA.

18. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Honestly I doubt it matters. You can't get a mac with a decent enough graphics card to play these games without spending at least $2,500.

19. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Steamplay sounds good and I wish it was a model for many, many entertainment sources we all use.

20. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

+1 for a linux client. gaming really is the only thing keeping me on windows, and most of my gaming is steam-based.
    *dreams of a day when his rig will run Ubuntu and TF2 natively*

Tags: Add Tags