1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sticking crap on my car!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by GavX, 3 Mar 2010.

1. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

but its a sticker, its designed to piss you off so you don't park there again. get mad or get even, stop being a 4 year old about it.

mvagusta likes this.
  2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

It's a very big jump to go from an unobtrusive sticker, to clamping one of the wheels!
    Why shouldn't the warning sticker be a punishment? It not supposed to be a punishment? Says who? The only problem, is that the car isn't supposed to be parked there.

Wheel clamps aren't cheap, and there are risks of damaging the offender's wheels just from installing them, which can cause legal cases. The wheel clamps will also have to be stored somewhere secure, and in the vicinity of the car park. No need to use such a troublesome and ineffeciently costly deterent, when a threat of a significant fine will deter offenders.
    The last thing any organization needs, is to choose the most costly and troublesome option.

The school doesn't even have to employ a parking attendant either. They can just buy some warning stickers to put on offender's cars, and hand them out to staff, who can put them on any parking offender's cars they come across. Another set of stickers can be handed out to staff to give reoffender's fines. Staff members would only have to take a single decent photo of the car using thier camera phone, with the rego plate visible and parked in the incorrect zone, to avoid any disputes.

Removing one of these stickers, takes just a minute or two with some water, or a few minutes if all you have is fingernails and a little saliva. Four hours? :eyebrow: You could even choose to lick it off, but that wouldn't take more than about half an hour, if you could handle the taste. I imagine that if you took off your pants, and used your butt cheeks and crack sweat to rub it off, that might take and hour or so?

The thread was created because a sticker was placed on a passenger window, not the windscreen! That part was just my suggestion :D Look at the title of the thread :hehe: Imagine how much whinging there would be if a car was fined, or clamped :rolleyes:

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Guess how long it takes to remove a simple paper slipped under a wiper blade? A literal second. Any paper stating not to park there again will get the same point across, but the one with adhesive adds a useless annoyance on the driver's part. It's a pretty d-bag move to make people spend time washing glue off of windows when you don't have to.

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I went barmy at the council, asked the police and went down the dvla route when this happened to me. They dont use those stickers anymore as they cause a mess and dont come off very well which makes them illegal if used. Some jock has gotten it off of ebay and has tried to be funny. Park it there again and watch... when they decide to strike spray some sort of adhessive all over there back and in the muppets hair.. laugh and tell them to do one before you report them for vandalism.

Andy

5. mvagusta

Parking where you shouldn't isn't annoying to anyone, and is definitely not a d-bag move either.

Don't just be a cry baby, take it to court! Someone's gonna end up paying for it... who do you think that would be?

That's assault. If you get even just a little of the spray in thier eyes or ears, you'd cause serious problems. Give it a go and see what happens.

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I couldn't have put it better myself. If people parking in the spaces is such a big problem, it's not going to be solved by bits of paper, sticky or not, and you need something with a bit more teeth. On the other hand, if you're just giving someone notice that they're somewhere they shouldn't be, it's just petty to make them peel something glued to their window with that double-sided-tape stuff that has to be scraped and solvented to remove.

7. mvagusta

WUTT????? :confused: :eyebrow:

READ THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!

THE NOTICES WERE A3 SIZED, AND SUPERGLUED TO EVERY WINDOW & EVERY PANEL OF THE CAR!!!!
    or maybe there was just one on the side window which only needed some water and soap, or some window wash solution perhaps? I forget :confused: and cbf reading back over the thread to refresh my memory :rolleyes:

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

damn. i was hoping this thread was about sticking actual crap to cars.

mvagusta likes this.
  9. PureSilver

A4? Remember? Large piece of plasticized paper that obstructs your view out of a side window? It's not lick'n'stick like they print stamps on, it's the same stuff they use for towing notices down in London. Ours is pretty much the same stuff as they use for vinyl stickers, you know, the sort that are intended to be permanently attached to a car. It's pretty difficult to get rid of unless you really do happen to keep warm, soapy water in your car (and if you do, why?!) and even once you've peeled it off, it leaves adhesive residue all up your window. Basically, it's really annoying and serves no purpose whatsoever. If you have to print instructions for removing it on it, it's clearly pointlessly difficult to remove and should be done some other way. Understand?

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

To be fair, Double Yellow lines. Don't park there, Understand?

mvagusta likes this.
  11. PureSilver

Fair enough indeed, though I think OP said they were unofficial (spray-painted on and less than an hour old). If they were official there would have to be proper parking enforcement etc, and there isn't.

12. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

perhaps its just me, but my car has this amazing feature, it's called wind down windows. If the sticker really was that obstructing I could lower the window and the blockage, to be able to drive home, admittedly probably quite cold, where warm water is available. The stickers are meant to be annoying to remove, it means that the person getting the notice has to see it, they can't just take it out from under the windscreen and chuck it. It acts as a deterrent, are you going to keep parking somewhere where at the end of the day your going to have to spend 20 mins cleaning the window each time you do. Some people might as its less expensive than a parking ticket, but its going to discourage a lot. The tickets should really be applied to rear windows but its still not going to kill you.

Landy_Ed likes this.
  13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I think this thread needs photos. Just what do these lines look like? What kind of signage are we dealing with? We could all use a little clarification as to what the situation is. Following the strict logic of "double yellow lines, don't park there" one could be taking their parking orders from a toddler with sidewalk chalk for all it matters, so long as two yellow lines are placed on the pavement in some manner.

I would also like to know since it seems the main arguement for stickers is the concept of punishment. It would seem horribly unfair to punish someone for parking in an area which wasn't clearly marked as no longer being available, especially since it was previously available for parking. Having been previously available, I have doubts as to the kind of chaos and calamity which would be caused by accidentally parking there.

14. sneeker

sneeker What's a Dremel?

Who actually stuck the sticker on, or is it stickers?
    Remove the stickers however long it takes, and invoice the company for your time? Any damage, which Im sure glue remains after removing the stickers would count, would mean your time is being used for something that they caused and therefore I believe your perfectly entitled to charge them for your time.

15. mvagusta

I'd love it if the op takes some photos...

...and then security comes along and asks for some id and an explanation of what is he up to...

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

What is this, 1984? It's a parking space... :eyebrow:

17. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I think this post is being played out. It's quite simple he got a fair warning msg on his screen. OK, there was glue used and to be honest I'd be pissed off. However, he didn't get a parking fine or clamping which would cost more and be of great inconvinience. So just heed the warning and don't do it again. Job done...

I can't believe you've come on a forum thinking about the legal consequences... At least it isn't the US, that would be lawsuit territory!

18. mvagusta

That's the problem, it wasn't a parking space :wallbash:

Maybe if the lines weren't spray painted on, but were proper official painted lengths of hardwood, dynabolted into the ground, with proper enforcement such as guards armed like rambo, then the rules might be adhered to :confused:

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

maybe put land mines where you dont want people to park? :wallbash:

20. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

Just FYI, the sticker was a pain in the rear to move, and I couldnt even put down my windows when I was driving to see out my passanger side as it wasn't flush with the window and nearly killed the gears in the window...
    Took a damn good soaking, and the glue just didn't want to budge.
    I now don't park there so yes, lesson learned, but still it took a hell of a long time to remove and when driving out a college and past primary/high schools etc I like to see where I am going and if there are any stupid kids about to run out onto the road. I can understand for emergency vehical access, but a sticker on the window that didnt budge seems extreme. A traffic warden gives you a small thing under the windscreen, why can't this college?
    Oh and yesterday I was a college can on the lines for ALLLL day, they didn't get a sticker.
    The clio next to them did.