1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlestar Galactica: Online announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Star Trek > Battlestar Galactica

3. rimscar

rimscar What's a Dremel?

don't know whether i`m getting jaded in my old age, but why do i have this feeling that using the mindset of casual play and Unity are dooming this project right from the start...
    still the "farming" may be different lol

4. DarkHarlequin

DarkHarlequin Padowan Learner

The recent TV series was immense but a browser based set-up just whiffs of epic fail. I doubt the boys at CCP will be losing much sleep over this one...

5. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Yes, I am even more behind the times than you - still haven't got past season 2.

It is bad but I'm already thinking "it could have been so much better".

6. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

EVE > STO > Battlestar

;P

7. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

I can't imagine a Galactica mmo working out tbh. Anyone watching Caprica btw?

8. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Only one I'm really looking forward to next would be the Warhammer 40k one, but even for that I am full of dread as to what will happen with it.

The next major one to come out I can think will probably be the Star Wars one, which, again, I am not overly optimistic about, even if Bioware are doing it.

I'm playing Darkfall at the moment, and actually enjoying an old school MMO feeling for once as well. Latest one to get ditched is STO, but I am keeping my sub going until the 45 day patch and see what happens...but I really think I will cancel the sub after that and (probably) never look back. Not that STO might not desrve a look back in a few months time, it's just I know in myself that once I leave an MMO, it takes something pretty huge for me to try it again.

So, yeah add me to the "old & jaded group" as well.

9. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Yeah.. Im watching Caprica. Not bad. Very different !

There is also a new feature length episode called BSG : The plan

This shows the initial cylon attack on the 12 colonies from the perspective of the cylons rather than the humans. Its on Sky Box Office / DVD? currently.. Havent seen it yet.

It has potential, but will most likely be ruined like Stargate was (now that had so much potential).

As for EVE... I just dont rate that as an MMO at all. The grind is excruciating !

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The problem with BSG is that to be truly authentic, any kind of networking is forbidden ;)

Casual-focussed, browser-based just screams "crap" to me :(

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

BSG was a great series, unfortunately mmo's don't interest me. A multiplayer fps game though......

12. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

EVE is the PhD of PC gaming, not everyone can (or desires to) reach that level. I often ask people two questions and a no to either deselects them from saying anything about EVE. 1) Did you play for 52 weeks? 2) Was most of your time spent in 0.0?

Even within EVE there are people who are not Players in EVE, the sad still lives of the Empire dwellers. To understand and appreciate EVE you need to LIVE the Life in 0.0, what EVE does best and is unique is the territorial conflicts that are player run.
    Eve is about defining your own victory conditions and then having 500 others agree with you and compete against others who might have conflicting goal. In EVE the best win, by definition. This is rare in gaming and even moreso in RL.

Yours in Fleet Command Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

13. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

If you're "grinding" anything in EVE, you're doing something wrong.

14. evanjdooner

evanjdooner Booty like POW!

^^^this

15. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Call me a carebear, but EVE is far too dog-eat-dog for me. All the camping and griefing and exploiting loopholes in the system just to get your bazillion dollar ship fubared in a split second by someone just for a lulz. I love the complexity and the environment, but I guess I just don't play well with others in lawless environments. It's a shame, because if you could play the entire game properly without having to interact with the general public, I'd love it. I don't think that attitude makes me the MMO target audience anyway, though...

Back on topic: I just started on watch BSG the series and it looks awesome. The online version: less awesome.

16. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

i loved BSG and am watching caprica atm too.
    A small part of me dies each time a game studio announces an MMO based on a tv show.
    They usually fail, and with this browser based creation, I cant see it being a huge success.

17. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

I agree with theflatworm, EVE is a *very* dog-eat-dog kinda game, and paint a rainbow on my fuzzy tummy, I'm not a fan of involuntary PvP in long-term games like that. Not that I have anything against PVP, I recently resubbed my Planetside account for a month just to see what's going on there.

Would be interesting to see if the MMOG of BSG is as patchy as the TV show. I'm not saying it's bad TV, far from it, but the later series have too many episodes that feel like filler, contrasting against the spectacular thrill-ride that is season 2, the beginning of season 3 and all the season premieres and finales (my god! such curve-ball endings!). Saw the pilot of Caprica. Thoughts: Incoherent mish-mash of ideas and themes with some fairly bad character writing, liberally sprinkled with cliches and huge gobs of money. Moral: Production value != Quality.

18. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Props on the use of the '!' as 'NOT' operator. Was gonna give you rep but apparently I'm not allowed to give it to the same person too often. I suppose it's some sort of anti-ego measure.

Tags: Add Tags