1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Xbox is Dead...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by atanum141, 14 Mar 2010.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

So I just woke up from a short nap, Went and turned my console on and I get the three lights!

this has never happened to me, however my unit was purchased in 2007 and has never had an issue. So I went to the xbox support forums and it looks like my power supply is dead.

As my unit has 3 years old will they replace my unit? or am i better off getting a Arcade unit from the shops? I still cant tell properly if replacing my power supply will fix the issues completely?

2. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

Your power supply is dead you say? Why don't your purchase a new one? If you have got the RROD my xbox has been repaired out of warranty for the RROD. If you go onto the xbox support and register your xbox serial number to your online gamer tag you can start a claim :)

3. atanum141

Ill register my unit, see what they say. Dammit i wanted to play battlefield. If not it looks like i will be shelling out for a new Arcade unit.

EDIT: Looks like my local CEX has 4 power supplies in stock. I may pop down with my unit and see if it works with theirs.

4. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

When you power up, does your power brick have a orange or yellow light on it?

That's the question xbox asked me when i phoned up.

If so it might not be your hard drive. i had the same problem, 1st time under 3 years was fixed under warranty, 2nd time, out of date, xbox say it would cost £80-£90 for them to fix it.

I ended up fixing it my self, by following online guides and videos. Cost me less then £20, just had to buy some sliver compound and alcohol to clean the heat sinks.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2010
  5. atanum141

My Power supply is orange, where it should be green.

I honestly don't think its my unit as its never given me a problem. i will be going into CEX and test my unit with their power supplies for sale. If it works ill buy one, if not ill see what xbox support say.

tho my last resort is buying a new Arcade unit.

6. MiT

If you do end up buying another one, let PM me. I 'might' buy your broken one of you.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

What's all this talk about faulty power supplies and hard drives? The 3 RROD is most commonly caused by overheating due to poor contact between the GPU die and the (horribly inadequate) heatsink. Of all the 360's I've repaired in my time, less than 2% have been anything other than this. I suggest you either fix the piece of crap or have someone like me fix it for you and go back to gaming without having to shell out more money to Microsoft for a new console.

8. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Water cool it!

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Funny you should mention that. The first time my failbox shows any signs of overheating, that's whats happening. Hasn't happened yet though, touch wood. I keep it well ventilated.

10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Just as a heads up mate of mines xbox broke it was bought in 2006 well out of warrenty, He manged to get it replaced by microsoft due some eu ruling about 5 years of use or something took him a while but he manged it.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

If you do pick up another power supply, be aware that the earlier 360 models have a larger power socket than the newer models.

12. MiT

Really...? I never knew that.

Well now i do.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The PSU's are different for each SKU, with a different plug. Can be a bit of a ballache.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

If warranty is void and MS won't fix it, you can always try wiring a PC PSU in... it works, if you can solder properly. There's some guides online - google it.

Just note that this DOES void any and all warranties.

15. atanum141

Well, I went to CEX and its still dead. So its a general hardware failure.

CEX has HDMI enabled Arcade units for £105, however the repair job quote by Microsoft is £98 and the cost of a new Arcade is £150.

However i saw a awesome offer in Argos where they had an Arcade with a extra controller and Pure/Lego Batman combo for £159.99. now to me that seems the best bet.

Tho how hard is it to fix this issue by myself? anyone have any tips?

16. iggy

iggy Minimodder

try wiring it directly to the mains. the extra volts will help it run more stably

17. MiT

easy. Well kind off, open the case, clean the heatsinks on the GPU and CPU, put them back on again with bolts instead of the x-clamps, i have done three now. I learnt it all of the net, i had no one to help me.

Saved me a lot.

Here are a few things i watched and read:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/790618/xbox_360_ring_of_death_fix/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnXQD68LRy4

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/

i also found some pdf guides on the net as well.

you shouldn't need to reflow anything, thats like the last resort (unless you know what your doing)

18. atanum141

Towel Trick did the job, for now. Seriously covered the thing for 30 mins. Actually it **** it self off then placed it outside to it would rapidly cool.

Looks like its working, tho i may need to work the heatsinks.

19. MiT

NOOOOO :wallbash:

YESSSSS :D

The towel trick can over heat your capacitors and any other components. Very bad!! Naughty boy. Its a temp fix, and should never be done. Can cause real damage. Dont do it again, if you want you xbox to live.

20. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Why would you need to solder? :S Mines an original launch console and its got a 200w psu next to it (powered by bridging pins) powering 4 fans to keep the f***er cool enough to run. No need to solder, just have a psu next to it like me :D