1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Last frickin' straw

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Southern, 17 Mar 2010.

1. Southern

Southern Lovable Internet Nutcase

Hi all,

The continuing saga - Windows 7 64bit trying to get a wireless device working on it, as I have tried four different adaptors without success. Have bought an edimax EW7711UAn and the device cannot be enabled in windows connection center. As in, double click to enable, it never enables. FFfff...

In severe desperation I am now going to reinstall Windows 7 and see what happens. With any luck, I'll be able to bulldoze whatever rubbish is already installed and see if I can restart with a clean sheet. As if that's possible with Windows 7.

I am at my witts end and I am actually considering selling this computer in parts as a result of Windows 7 being such a dog to work with and just getting devices working that even carry Windows 7 certification status. God damn you, Microsoft, why do you make things so bloody difficult?

Of course if I do get round to that part (ie: selling parts) I will be looking to you lot to see if you want a bargain.

2. Southern

Okay, I will reiterate the advice another user has give me:

Backup and reinstall.

Whole machine is running like a sweet pussycat now, thanks to a brand new install of win7.

Aaaand relax

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

=] yeah takes a couple of builds before you get the hang of it.. the signed drivers you can turn off on boot- hit F8 after post it'll be on the menu- I still use readydriver plus to do that on vista

4. Southern

Hey Hippoz, oddly enough it was you I was referring to in my last post!

I have no idea how my install could have been so screwed up, but I will assume driver corruption somewhere along the lines. Now everything is running better than I had imagined, with nary a BSOD in sight. The proof in the pudding will be when I start updating software updates but for the moment I've got a stable build and that's all that matters.

Oddly enough, I've been building since the old Athlon XP era and I've never had so much trouble with windows causing mischief. Hopefully my rants will be enough to at least reassure other users that these troubles do occurr and there is a solution (albeit a sledgehammer to a nut approach!)

5. cc3d

cc3d It's a mod mod world

I've put Win 7 on a dozen different machines in my group with many configurations. Laptops, desktops, Atom boards and have never seen an issue that caused me to reinstall the O/S to get things working properly. Worse case I have had to reinstall a driver.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's not difficult. It's your wireless card company that can't do drivers properly.
    Microsoft has guidelines how to do things rights under Windows. If it's followed, you end up with a world class software that is very intuitive, well integrated to the OS. But sadly many companies companies go and say: "Microsoft knows nothing about Windows. We do it our way!" Or simply ignore reading documentation and guidelines.

I would change wireless card brand.

I don't have any statistics on the following claim, and it's only based on my observation:
    From my experience, Windows Vista/7 driver system is very solid. I did thinks that normally XP and older Windows could not handle. At one point on my laptop I had a wireless problem only at university, I passed through installing several times different drivers. 13 times between older Vista drivers, re-installs, current drivers, and beta drivers, from the manufacture of the wireless card (Intel), and laptop manufacture (Dell). Well it ended up being the wireless card that was faulty (actually it was a revision of the wireless card that was faulty, Dell managed to make sure I had the latest revision on the last wireless card replacement (I pass through 3 of them total), which had the problem solved.
    Windows 7 64-bit, acts like if all this mess of driver switch was something that never happen. I, and friends were really surprised by this.

The big up, I think, is maybe that the drivers are no longer attached to the kernel anymore (since Vista). But I am only guessing here.

Try the following brands (no order):
    - Atheros
    - Linksys
    - D-Link
    - Intel

The above companies names are just wireless card brands I installed on Windows 7 64-bit and it was peace of cake. Please note that I NEVER install anything other than the drivers. Usually associated applications are asking for trouble (creates conflicts with Windows, or buggy, or just hard to use - and they end up being useless).

7. Southern

Actually Cc3d I did have a lot of trouble at first, but I wonder if that was because I suffered numerous BSODs that messed things up for me.

Goodbytes, I see what you mean on this one and while I see what you mean, now that I have a wireless aerial that is certified to work with Win7 and windows doesn't automatically disable it when using standard win7 drivers, I think that's a bonus that it plugs in and works. Again, I have no idea why this happened the first time round and why it works suddenly now.

As this machine is relatively new, there wasn't much on it so I could reformat and reinstall with impunity, but I agree it is a little drastic.