1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors New website for calculating your MPG

Discussion in 'General' started by Stompy, 16 Mar 2010.

1. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

This is intentional, to allow users to scale font sizes up and down for accessibility. I've designed the site as such that it doesn't have to be a 100% fixed layout in every browser.

Any particular reason why?:confused:

Haha yea I notice this too, they are centred but because of the asymmetrical design of the logo they don't look like they are to the eye! :sigh:

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

In that case you should use em or percents (I recommend percents), as pt isn't actually considered a variable font size unit for CSS. (For reference, 1em = 12pt = 16px = 100%).

Hex values are considered "valid" CSS, named colors are not, so if you want your CSS to be valid, you gotta use hex values. ;)

Yea.. optical illusion :p

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

It's not working well for me :sigh: The page loads fine, I enter some numbers, but when I hit Calculate MPG, all that happens is that the three little rectangles cycle, over and over... no result is displayed, even after using the internet fine in other tabs for about 10 minutes.

I'm on IE7 (anyone that has a problem with that, chill the fuk out! I have to use it, nothing else is compatible with the work websites, and allthough I prefer chrome & opera, IE7 works fine... except for this mpg website :)

And here's another little challenge for you Stompy!

Create a dancing character just underneath using flash.

4. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Ah ok, I will get this changed in the next update, ta.

From W3C website:
    "The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has listed 16 valid color names for HTML and CSS:

aqua, black, blue, fuchsia, gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal, white, and yellow.

If you want to use other colors, you should specify their HEX value."

Fixed, thanks for pointing that out!

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

If you're only looking to be W3C compliant (and for the record, I think that most of these "compliance" tests are utter garbage) then that's fine I guess, but if you're wanting to be fully universally compliant with your CSS, hex values are the way to go. There's really no argument on not using them.

Plus I find hex values are a lot easier to work with and allow you greater freedom with color choices.

6. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Ah ok that makes sense. I'll probably change that soon :)

7. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

A few updates!
    You can now change the units, both at the input stage and for your results.
    I've made a separate version for the iPhone which works a lot better and fits the screen correctly in portrait mode. It will now default to the numeric keypad on the iPhone when you enter one of the form fields. You will be automatically redirected to this version if visiting on an iPhone.

Login system and trip cost calculator coming soon!

Cheers :)

8. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I broke it on my first go, entered the amount of fuel but no miles and it didn't like that had to re-load the page to clear

9. NSC

NSC If it's too hot, make holes in it.

I liked it. Quick and easy way to confirm that my on board computer was telling the truth.

10. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

Need a reset button, if you accidentally use a letter instead of a number it freezes the entry forms and you have to reload the page to try again.

Otherwise, it is very nice. Simple and effective :).

11. harrylimey

harrylimey What's a Dremel?

Well I like the idea . Still running on gallons in my head .

Saves having to multiply by 4.52

12. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

It's a good idea to set body{} in css with font-size of 100%, then just use a value higher or lower for other text on the page.

It's a good site, and hope you get it up google, get some ads on it and you could do well :thumb: