1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Join bit-tech and your favourite modders at Campus Party Europe - Article now live!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 8 Mar 2010.

1. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

Is it Madrid nigthlife that dangerous????

I heard it is , but we could have fun anyway.. if it was possible , that would be great :D

2. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

@Vils, for sure. I'l try to visit you (Even I'm doing a Quick and dirty mod just in case I finally can assist. I'll began to post here, when I have more pics)

@Raiden, not so dangerous, depend of where you go and if you look like a lost foreigner with a Nikon DSLR hanging of your neck :p

Spanish people talk very loud, don't worry, we're not in anger all time, it's only loud speaking LOL

3. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

I'm going. I've found someone to take notes for me in the university :D

As Kumo said. It isn't more dangerous than other big cities. Just go to the right places ^^ Downtown is ok.

4. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Sorry to say this guys but im not coming to Madrid. I just found out what the living arrangements were at the event and that made me change my mind. Im 38years old and i cannot sleep in a tent on concrete. Maybe i was stupid to assume that there would be a hotel but ive been doing this modding thing and events for many years now and every event ive been invited to has come with proper living conditions. Maybe id done this when i was 20 but im 38 now and thats alot different.

5. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

Oh thats sad!!! hoped to meet you in person :D

i exactly know what you mean!! that will be a real hard trip for everyone ...nearly a week without getting into a real bed to get some healthful sleep is horrible and normally we wouldn´t attend on such an invitation :D but we didn´t realized how the living arrangements would look like .....until we confirmed that we would come :confused: (and beside that we choiced to come by car :duh: 1800 km one way - but we´re 4 drivers in the van so i hope that it will not be too hard....)

6. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Thought they might have had something for the exhibitors, apart from a concrete floor !

I'm 42 and spending 4days on a floor is what i might have done 20 years back :)

Another guy i've been speaking with was expecting a hotal or something similar tbh :(

Do they even supply the tent and bedding ?

7. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Wolverine just told me this today and if this is really true I probably won't be going either. Pretty sloppy not giving people this information in the first place :duh:

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about this guys, I've been pretty busy working on a big feature and have kind of taken a back seat so far as they're organising everything their end - I've just forwarded a few names.

I'll drop them a line and see if anything can be done - clearly asking grown men (no offense to the spotty teenagers with youthful bodies out there) to sleep on the floor , even in sleeping bags is a bit much. Personally I'll have my camera and phone with me so don't relish the fact of leaving them in the open while I sleep...

Will report back with my findings!

Antony

9. mrdbristol

Not your fault mate :)

I've been chatting with Phinix, and he was hoping for a hotel or something basic, like myself.

There's no way i can take a tent, sleeping bag, camp bed etc.

Cheers for getting involved :thumb:

10. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

They provide the tent but you need to bring sleepingbag but tbh the sleepingbag or the tent isnt my concern im 38 and i cant sleep on the floor in a sleepingbag and i cant have my phone, laptop and my DSLR just lying around. TBH i thought that they would have a special exhebition area were the modders who bring their work could show their projects but it seems to be just a lanparty and im not leaving a 5000euro case unattended at a lanparty to go lie on the floor. Thoose conditions might be fine for some but they ar utterly impossible for me :/ When i bring my projects to any event i need to know that they are safe all the time and properly insured i think any of the modders that have been doing this for a while will agree we spend hudreds of hours making theese cases and they are often filled with state of the art hardware and i for one dont take that lightly.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2010
  11. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

yeah you´re totally right...when i just think of the stuff we must carry around all the time with us like DSLR, Laptop, Videocam, mobiles, Passports etc. ....and then the Cases :duh: with all that stuff.....

Safety for our Projects was the only reason we choose to travel by car, to avoid any problems with damaged PC´s while transporting don´t even think on lost luggage/parcel...or parts which gets "lost" during the event....

And like you said, on every other event such things are quiet normal...

12. mrdbristol

Hhmm, doesn't sound very good to me either.

Doubt i'll be going if i have to stand guard over my case for 4 days.

I thought there would be a secure area for exhibitors :sigh:

13. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Mmmm... I've gone to some smaller modding (or at least with a modding contest) LANs here en Madrid. Not from the same organization, but none of them have an exhibition area (but your desk area). Although I used to sleep on the carpet floor, under my desk (In a homemade LAN tent) with mobile and others in a tent's pocket, you could leave cases unantended without any problem. In those LANs there was security guards and stickers on the computers matching the user's ID. Even you could go to a restaurant for dinner and nobody touch you equipment. That's my experience.

Anyway I understand your worries. If I were you, I'll simply ask them if there would be any security crew or others.

P.d.: And use a lot of zipties ;)

14. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

So it is just a lanparty then? I'm always bored to death at lan parties. Are we able to really show the cases or do we have to sit at a table like all the other lan people? That would be horrible. Not to mention the sleeping bag on concrete.

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

AFAIK it's more of an exhibition than a lanparty but I've never been so can't be certain. Just fired off an email to the guy who's organising it so will report back when I have an answer and we can make decisions based on this.

16. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Usually, Campus-party LANs are true LANs, but big (8.973 people in the last one in 2K9) and with a lot of events and conferences. but I don't know what you should expect of this one.

17. Valdisnei

Valdisnei Can i haz a dremelz!?

The brazilian edition wich is based on the spanish one had events, conferences, modding guides and workshops. It's really difficult to get bored if you know people and can take a time apart of the computer gamming. :)

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

For all I know this one isn't really a normal Campus party, but some sort of technology festival to celebrate Madrid's EU-technology-capital-of-the-year or something. I might be wrong, though..

Anyway I'd be more than willing to go and sleep on the concrete, just change the name on the tickets ;) Also I just started wondering if there are so many modders going there, maybe you could just book a hostel yourself? It isn't going to cost and arm and leg and if you just stick to the same hostel/hotel, you'll meet each other and can also organize the trips to and back from the sleeping place..

19. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

o_O I live here, first new. I've only found a copuple of news about that and they are about the LAN mostly.

http://www.ideal.es/granada/rc/20100216/tecnologia/madrid-convertira-abril-capital-201002161710.html

http://www.madridliberal.es/index.p...pa-en-la-caja-magica&catid=10:madrid&Itemid=7

20. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

I'm going with Jipas view here... :) Big Surprise?