1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other This will make you angry (Alan Titchmarsh Show on videogames)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 23 Mar 2010.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Zeus-Nolan likes this.
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Can't watch it at the moment because I'm in uni, but on a completely unrelated note - Hex, why do you have "Moderator" twice above your avatar? Is it to show that you're twice as awesome as the other moderators? :D

3. Hex

Simple answer to that: yes! :D

It's actually left over from when there wasn't an automatic title and we had the white 'Moderator' title put in, I just never got rid of mine and I kind of like the two there now.

4. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I'm pretty sure he is.

Call of Duty 2 *massive pause* Modern Warfare

5. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

The real danger is the ignorance of those people!

Mentioning the airport level from MW2 is just a low blow. We ought to show her the MW2 thread in here where most of the bit-tech gamers actually disliked having to shoot civilians and refrained from doing so.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

What? I mowed them down without remorse. Then just last week I did the same thing at Heathrow Terminal 5. Y'know, 'cos video games and real life are the same thing and all, it seemed like a good idea.

EDIT: Just watched the video. Sigh.

An ignorant host chairing a discussion with an ignorant panel (minus Tim) and an ignorant audience. It's a bit of a stretch to expect a reasonable, intelligent discussion when only one person in the room knows what they're talking about while the host and the rest of the panel are spewing out misinformation at an alarming rate and the equally blinkered audience are lapping it up.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2010
    pimonserry likes this.
  7. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

This gave me rage.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Business as usual for the mainstream media: ignorant, biased and completely unresearched. I pity the games journo they had on there - it's obvious he was brought in as a sacrificial lamb.

9. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

Ow. That guy on the right also mentioned the James Bulger murder in offence towards video games. How can they have evidence to support this?

Argh, the ignorance.

This is true. They completely ignored the point he was trying to defend: Parents should not let their kids play these games.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I agree 100%!

The point which Tim repeatedly tries to hammer home is that games have an age rating, just like films. Yet the idiots on the show continually gloss over this fact.

11. Hex

Not only did they gloss over it, but Titchmarsh seems to be completely unaware that it's possible to watch films anywhere other than a cinema. You could see the WTF in Tim's face when he said "but games are inside the homes!" :duh:

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I believe he was referring to the film Child's Play. Yet more misinformation.

13. Threefiguremini

They glossed over every point he made. I love that this was said "I am categorically against violence for entertainment. It is just wrong." So no watching of any films, reading of books or watching of plays that contain violence.. Hmm so no Shakespeare, Dostoevsky, Hitchcock etc etc

14. Hex

Let's not forget Julie Peasgood provided a voice in a "horror game"...
    and no Tom & Jerry for them!

15. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

To be honest this reminds me of the Nick Griffin on Question Time. I'm not for the BNP in anyway but it's the same case of.

1 Person for the Opposition
    Loaded Questions
    Biased Audience
    Biased Questioners.

It's baiting and it isn't pleasant to watch.

16. Threefiguremini

:jawdrop: Could you imagine a world without them?

17. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

A US study of 150,000 children worldwide?

Can somebody please tell me which organisation has the funding/resources to commission a study of that size? And how do you guarantee the data coming from 150,000 sources is accurate and untainted by other factors?

The whole reason the Byron Review neither condemned or condoned violent video-games was that there has been no accredited study which could link violent games to a child's behaviour. The very reason there hasn't been an accurate study is because monitoring thousands upon thousands of children in a clinical environment while you make them play adult video games is immoral, unethical, impractical and most importantly illegal.

Until a smart scientist finds a different way to conduct such an experiment, we don't know. But here's my guess - some kids with a predisposition to violence will have their behaviour exacerbated by violent games, others will not. Where's my Nobel?

Actually this is quite a fun game, let me try. "A US study of 150,000 women say NuTech is the most well endowed man they've ever had the pleasure of meeting". Play along at home children!

18. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

A US study of 150,000 Tichmarsh Show audience members found 99.9% to have the IQ of a rock.

pimonserry and smc8788 like this.
  19. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Credit to Tim for being the only one to actually staying on topic and make a valid point.

20. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Well i made it to 2:02 and had to kill it, what tosh. It actually made me feel more violent than any computer game or film.

It annoys me that thing like this get aired, and fair play to the games journo for trying to get his point across,

But essentially what ive gathered from my short time in adulthood and as a parent is that parents now seem to need the government to raise their kids, and many are incapable of knowing whats right/wrong for them.

My daughter will obviously have access to alot of things that i didnt growing up, but its up to me to regulate it not anybody else!!