1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1,536MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Mar 2010.

1. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

I can't see how f@h with one of these could be attractive at the moment, the heat output 24/7 plus the power draw outweigh the GPGPU improvement. 2x GTX 250s would be more practical & probably cheaper overall including electricity for the same PPD.

Stanford are in bed with Nvidia so the 2nd phase GPU3 client based on OpenCL will be optimized for the Fermi architecture. Even then water cooling will most likely be a necessity making it too specialized.

2. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

Yeah I know, it's very impressive and you could even use the top of the cooler as a pan and cook some dinner while you game, you could put two of em in SLI and hey, YOU GOT A TOASTER!

Now really, tell me what's impressive if it barely holds up against 5870 and 4870X2 and costs 25% more than a 5870. I'm really disappointed since I was expecting a price war like many people said, I don't think ATI's are correctly priced since the 4870X2 used to cost like 350$ and the 5870 costs 400$ and is probably TONS cheaper to produce than a 4870X2. But ATI is on the lead this time around.

FERMI dropped into the game 6 months late, they're hotter, more expensive, consume more energy and hardly perform any better than the 5XXX series. (BTW: zipzoomfly.com has the EVGA Superclocked at 650$, what a waste of money)

3. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

:thumb:

Guest-16 and Moyo2k like this.
  4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol yeah oh hey look here's nvidias target market

5. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

6. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

If that's running at 94C in spring what will it become in an non air conditioned room in the summer?

7. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Ye posted the details in another thread.

So much for them marketing 3D vision surround with 3 monitors if one of your cards is going to be idling at 90c trying to power 2 monitors, completely hopeless.

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I'm beginning to wonder, at what temperature does your normal off-the-shelf PCB start to melt?

9. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

My guess would be double that 200c? The real problem i see is the possible reliability issues with FERMI. I suppose the better warranties that Nvidia AIB partners offer opposed to ATI AIB partners offer will no come in very handy.
    Also this whole FERMI is great for folding is rubbish. Folders usually look for cards that cheap but are capable of producing a fair amount of points and are less power hungry, ie gts250 or second hand gtx295 etc. FERMI produces good point but thats all.
    Also gfx cards for folding are much less reliable than using cpus ie a corei7 and the Bigadv work units.

10. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Not surprising the 480 beats ATi in BFBC2 as ATi's support for that game is abysmal.

My HD 4870x2 has all sorts of shoddy graphics flashing issues. Cat 10.1,2 and 3's

11. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Wait for Fermi eh? Well, how did THAT turn out :)

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Wait for Fermi-Rev: B
    LOL.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

What a disappointment. Hopefully with better driver releases the cards will be more of a contender, but those temps and that power draw.... Shocking.

14. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

i wonder if all the nvidia fanbois are gonna crawl back under their rocks.

Charlie was pretty much spot-on with this fermi stuff, i for one will be talking his articles a bit more seriously in future.

pimonserry likes this.
  15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Has anyone watched the videos of the cards on the HardOCP review? Ignoring the review itself the videos show just how load Fermi gets (not to mention how much power they use).

BAsed on the all the reviews I have read the results seem to be all over the place. The other thing I can gather is that Fermi:

- Is roughly 10-15% faster than the HD5870 across the board
    - Uses roughly 100w more power under load and 30-50w more at idle
    - Runs at roughly 90-95 degrees when under load (and very loud to boot)
    - Costs roughly £125 MORE than a HD5870 and works out the same price as HD5850 CF.
    - Its a folding monster but considering its power draw and temps you would have to be mad to run even a single one 24/7.

All in all a big dissapointment. Whilst the performance is great in isolation it falters when compared to its direct competition, which of course is the important test.

17. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Saw those hardocp noise videos, it IS loud although they do say thats the same as a dual gpu card ala 5970/4870x2. Whats mor amazing is with a powerful fan and probably the most elaborate and comprehensive heat sink ever seen on a card ever it still makes 94 centigrade load temps. Thats, fierce.....

18. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

If ATI pulls a 4890 style speedbin of the 5870, Nvidia will be crying rivers!

Given the heat of the Fermi, we can be sure that it hasn't won any lucrative console contracts, unless they bundle a LN2 pot with every console, now little Johnny, what did I tell you about cryogenically freezing the cat!

19. MJudg

MJudg ProModder

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Did Bit-Tech Experience this? Why didn't you show us the anti-aliasing results with Stalker Call of Pripyat? The expected results are that AMD cards take it just fine while performance of the 480 goes down the toilet. What gives?

Tags: Add Tags