1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Best Buy to open first UK store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Mar 2010.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

They're good for random low-priced items that I need right away, and for CDs, video games.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Was it in North Acton? It was probably the Best Buy UK HQ, which they've not been shy with branding.

4. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

MSM722 you had made my day until i realised i need to go back to school and learn to read

Thought i had a shot of trading in my old fiancees now that would be "cash back".

Alas not to be.

5. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Now THERE'S a saying you don't hear every day!

6. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Ooh the seething caudron of hate; expensive (with occasional deals), overcharging and clueless. tbh it sounds just like PC world!

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Yes, that would probably have been the one.

8. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

No no no, it's actually far worse, in addition to that, Best Buy will actually sell fictitious services. They have outright lied about work they supposedly performed on my car stereo which I ended up ripping out and reinstalling myself. They've talked my father into two ridiculously overpriced purchases (a router and a laptop) that I literally grabbed from him, took back to the store, returned them found the tech he had talked to, berated him, and then purchased the items he actually needed on newegg.com with overnight shipping for substantially less.

Probably their worst offense was when I submitted a receiver for them to repair due to some faulty rear panel inputs, it came back scratched all to hell. When I pointed it out to the service department rep. I was picking it up from, he took a f%$king black Sharpe and scribbled over the scratches... I actually almost shot him (reminding myself that my license to carry a concealed firearm is for self defense purposes that involve physical harm only was more difficult than it has ever been).

Best Buy is a complete disgrace of a corporation. They prey on the ignorant and ill-informed. While I don't believe that ignorance is an excuse for anything, Best Buy's practice if feeding misinformation and creating ignorance is deplorable and they should be avoided at all costs. HEED MY WORDS ENGLAND! Evil knocks upon your doors. Do not open them.

9. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Whenever I see the logo 'Best Buy' I think of a UK company called Pound Land which survives by selling worthless tat to people who will find said item broken within days/weeks (you get what you pay for kids) ... I just can't get my head around that and I will be fine using PC World and Scan just like I always have done.

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

no way ! They actually had the balls to do this ? Wow they are fearless when it comes to stupid service :hehe:

11. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

Don't get too close to the Geek Squad. They're infected with... everything?

12. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

I'm beginning to get scared.

13. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lets hope they are an improvement on the 'idiots in purple'....

Ooops....Bit Tech,,,as sponsored by...

:)

14. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Yep Best Buy is bad. Worse than PCworld!

15. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

The important question is will they have a good selection of monitors for me to view before I buy one from novatech/internet?

16. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

More competition for the UK is a good thing :)

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Kinda like China-Mart... oh I mean Wal-Mart, these mega retail stores only end up hurting the community, to bad the typical community is to dumb to see that and only focus on getting cheap priced crap.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

As far as I'm concerned, more competition is always welcome; it usually drives down price and increases the selection. I'm really not concerned by high prices, shoddy customer service, over-selling, etc; this is pretty much par for the course (in my experience) with any high street electronics/appliances retailer. These kind of things are never going to go away - neither are Mr & Mrs Joe Public who know nothing about technology and trust brands & retailers.

It certainly won't be a store for me though; as far as retailers go, I've got my flag firmly placed in the Novatech camp. They're not the cheapest around and don't have a vast range of goods (at least where internet retailers are concerned), but I can't fault them for service and convenience. They're ideal for low value stuff where I'm not too concerned about price, or need something at last minute - like when a cheap power supply shorted out and promptly filled my lounge with smoke.... They've usually got what I need in stock and if not, it's there the next working day. Plus their staff don't harass or try to sell at all.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Need Geek Squad to calibrate your 3D glasses for your 3D TV? Owait...

My own horror story was trying to explain to my dad that an i7 920 was not what he needed to run Firefox, curse him for stopping by there to 'look around'. Though I was certainly surprised that they even had a system with one (even for $2,000). Oh, and I saw a cool i3 system that had 6 gigs of RAM. If you have dual channel RAM, and sticks that come in values of either 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB max... how do you get 6GB? It has left me thoroughly confused. 2x1 pair and a 2x2 pair? 3x2 and ignore dual channel? How would either of those be cost effective? What is their motivation?

The local one here has three 23" monitors, four 19" monitors, and a 17". I wish you luck.

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Bingo
    that's what you use Best buy for. usually games and such have a pretty fixed price. i go in there to buy cheapy things or stuff like that. I wouldn't purchase computer parts from them (what a joke in price) or a laptop and I'm not gullible so I won't be calling the geek squad.

all these people calling doom and gloom are people who are gullible enough to try to get their 3d glasses synced and installed by best buy in the first place.

Tags: Add Tags