1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Best Buy to open first UK store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Mar 2010.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Sounds Nothing like John Lewis. You can try and say otherwise, but it's not advised, as i do kinda work for them.

Sam

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Just another Comet style store from what I saw when I was in America.

3. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

As an American, let me say congratulations on acquiring a new line of crummy electronics stores. they arn't particularly bad, they certainly have a better selection than an average department store, but be prepared for a flock of high school kids fresh out of their corporate grade tech seminars to try and tell you what's best for your computer. over here geeksquad is famous among repair shops for bringing their "difficult" computers to other shops to be repaired. (in summary: bestbuy employees = DERPDERPDERP) (In America).

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I hear what people are saying about this being good competition and driving prices down, but you are wrong. Prices are already pretty tight so don't get your hopes up. As for diversity ... well, say goodbye to one UK retailer and say hello to another Uncle Sam chain, is that really what you wanted?! The market is saturated with stores already so it is now a survival of the fattest ... and if you treasure cheap electrical gear and filling the pockets of American fund managers then fine knock yourselves out with your failure to see the bigger picture.

5. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

as a Canadian.....

well, not that it matters lol...

godspeed, Brits...

I for one actually dont mind a Best Buy in Canada though. Boxing day sale is pretty good usually.

6. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

I worked in Maplin store for a while they mark up at least 50%

7. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

It's going to be great, finally something decent within a 30 minute drive.

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yep they're not the cheapest..

9. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

On behalf of all Americans... let me say "I'm sorry."

10. Orothe

Orothe What's a Dremel?

Are you serious everybody? o.0 CALM DOWN. -.-

First, if you don't like the store, don't shop. If enough people don't shop, the lack of sales and customers will force the shop to close. For Best Buy to be as big as it is now, means they have to be doing something right. (Even if it's evil that they succeed at.)

I like Best Buy. Then again use common sense when shopping. They do have good sales WHEN they have real sales. If your dumb enough to be swindled, then honestly you deserve to be ripped off, they have no sympathy from me.

And even if you don't like Best Buy (Hopefully not just because it's American, like I am.) but it's not like it's going to export American workers. So UK still gets more jobs.

So either, the other retail stores are much cheaper, Best Buy won't get many customers, and it'll quickly disappear (No change in the economy), or they'll get customers, the business will stay, and the jobs it offers will be stable (A plus). I don't see a negative in this. -.-

11. lesdmark

lesdmark What's a Dremel?

Wow. I just wasted 15 min reading all the hate posts. Time i will never get back..... Grow up people....

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

But they are convenient; there's two within a 10 minute walk from me.

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

^^^ What he said ^^^

The only reason I go to best buy is if there is a sale that I've verified to be cheaper than online (doesn't happen very often) or to look at an item that I'm later going to purchase online.

I think the only thing I've ever bought at best buy is a case that was 1/2 off it's online price and one maybe two PC games.

14. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

Woopwoop for JLP! (WR not JL here :p)

15. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I am hoping this will give PC world a kick in the rear to improve their prices and customer service, as at the moment its a total farce as is the skill of their pc service department.

I have only had one experience of best buy and that was about 7 years back when i lived in the states and it was a good experience we went in to buy a new tv and they seemed very knowledgeable and were happy to answer all our questions.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Same happened here in Germany years ago.
    We've only got two nationwide retail chains (left) MediaMarkt and Saturn...and they're both owned by the same company :D

Usually they're horribly expensive.
    Usually they try to sell you gear that you don't need
    Usually their staff consists of....naah it's quite mixed really, ask three of them and get three different advices. one might actually be right though. :D

Sometimes however (probably when the moons of Jupiter sync up or something) you get good advice, they've got good stock, and their pricing is reasonable. Their "Sale" pricing sometimes undercuts the internet. CD's and DVDs (BluRay) pricing is mostly reasonable.

ALLWAYS: if you go in uninformed, you're prey :D

By the way, MediaMarkt is expanding rapidly (Germany, Austria, Netherlands, France, Poland)*...just a matter of time till the UK ripe.

Xir

*wait, I see a pattern here, didn't some austro-German do this before?:clap:

17. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Isn't this how the end of the world has been foretold?

18. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

When I worked for the Evil Purple Place a couple of years ago (Hey, I had to pay the rent somehow), they were filling their pants at the name even back then. I for one will not shop there, and I won't shop at Best Buy either. But, we are in the Minority. You can bet Joe Public will flock there en-masse.

19. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

I'll stick with Overclockers, Scan and Ebuyer for all my electrical needs and wants.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I don't see how any of you can really see any good side to Best Buy. Even for small things like games or cheap little flash drives or movies they're pretty terrible in my experience. Fred Meyer has an equivalent selection of minor electronics, and I can get groceries there too. Even Wal-Mart has a decent selection of minor electronics and often at lower prices, even on things like games which are usually pretty standard. Even better plan is Costco. Amazingly low prices and they stock everything. The only reason to ever go to BB is if it's shockingly closer than anything else or you don't have a Costco (and if that's true... well poor you!).

Tags: Add Tags