1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dr Byron calls for new online-focused report

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Can this woman not just start a family or something and leave us alone?

3. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

I really don't see a problem with the BBFC rating games...

4. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

When is she going to do a spread in FHM? Come on!

5. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

ewwww!

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Tell you what I would like to see: Realistic bandwith caps and speed figures from ISP's: There's no point selling me 20meg broadband with unlimited downloads if I can only get 8. and they throttle it to 1 if I use it for more than a minute. I would like to see figures reflecting how much data I would reallistically be able to send/receive if I had the connection going all month.

Eg: a 20mbps connection
    20mbps * 60=1200mb per minute
    1200mbpm * 60=72000mb per hour
    72000mbph * 24=1,728,000mb per day
    1,728,000mbpd * 28=43,384,000mb per month

So, that is around 5 tebibytes per month. If you cannot download that amount (whether due to lower speeds or 'fair use policies') then you're getting fleeced.

I understand that sometimes, because of the infrastructure in your area, you might only be able to get 10 megabytes or 8 or whatever, but if it's 'unlimited' then you should be able to run it 24/7 at whatever your maximum speed is. If they throttle it, then it's not unlimited. If they put a 100gb fair use cap on it, then it's not unlimited.

Sorry for the off topic rant, but if any industry code of practuce is to be discussed, then this should be one of the first points on the agenda.

7. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I don't really care what she says, she's delightful to look at!

But she has a point, casual downloadable Java games for mobile handsets and Flash games like those available on Facebook aren't regulated in any way aside from the hosting companies (impartial and making fat cash off the back of the very successful games), and they are making some serious business for the companies involved. I'm not suggesting their content needs regulating, but you have to treat triple-A developers and publishers the same as the developers and publishers of their casual counterparts.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I just like seeing my own name in news reports :D

9. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Your names Dr? :eyebrow:

10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Are we seeing a different picture or something ?:eyebrow:

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Smartass :p

12. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

can't she just put on a tweed jacket and go smoke pot in the uni basement like other professors

13. person64

person64 What's a Dremel?

Hey,

It would seem that some of you are total idiots who can only reply to this post in the attempt to be dismiss her report, just because you don't have a clue about the importance of not allowing children to grow up so they can make comments like you lot...or that games and social networking doesnt help you interact with others in the real world.

I love games but the whole point of life isn't to live in them and forget the real world.

Those people who made sexist comments...you just look like you jealous of the fact this person is doing something important and you dont have the intelligence to make constructive comments.

Looks like the Byron report has come to late because most of you are stupid as hell.

Kind regards

P.s if you reply to this with nasty comments about my post...I rest my case, you are numpties.

Tags: Add Tags