1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Judge damns IsoHunt

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

any recomendations on one of those internet browsing privacy services?

3. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Everybody has a price they are willing to pay for goods. It is a matter of striking that price before the buyers hit on 'other methods' of accessing the products.

4. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

You remove one, another 2, better ones pop up.

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Whats the legality of downloading TV shows that arent available in your own country? There are a few TV shows that ive downloaded because at the time they werent available or shown in the uk.

6. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

You will be told that it's illegal, but there's nothing they can do about it.

7. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

So when will it kick in to the developers they need to make more quality products?
    Or why can't they use p2p/torrents to their advantage?

Were surrounded by idiots.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It is illegal. It's entirely up to the content holders who sees and who doesn't see it. It's the same as if you want Mountain Dew (the proper stuff) that they don't sell in the UK. You can import it, but it'll cost you more.

9. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

shaky ground it depends on whether some owns the copy right not whether its out or not if someone has bought uk rights say for a an anime then they can take there own sweet time translating/dubing and anything else they want before releasing if you DL in they UK while there doing they can have you.

If no one owns the copy right in the country your DL in then its frowned on by the authoritys but havent heard of anyone being prosactuted.

10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Question:
    If a TV program has been aired in your country, and you then download it becasue you want to keep a copy. Whats the difference between that and recording it straight off the TV using a PVR or something similar?

MadG

11. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Yeah, no one's been prosecuted, in fact, people who simply download copyrighted materials haven't been prosecuted either.

When you see that some has has been "done" it's actually for uploading, they get them on "supplying illegal content" basically.

To simply download, they will tell you that it's illegal but there is absolutely nothing they can actually do about it.

People who pay up do so because they're being bullied and told they can lose a lot of money and so on.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Simple, the first is illegal, the second isn't. :D

We're talking law and corporate business here, there's no room for...Logic :thumb:

13. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

We really need some better way of getting US TV shows into UK/Europe. I am fed up of being on forums where the users watched episodes sometimes weeks before myself. Which is also why I tend to 'obtain' them quicker than would usually be possible ... Provide the shows at the same time universally and problem solved, advertising revenues go up due to viewing numbers ...

In an ideal world hey.

14. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Hmm, I was under the impression that the second was also illegal also, just like recording music off the radio. But as they can't/couldn't monitor it they can't/couldn't do anything about it.

My ideal world would involve TV, film, any media, being released simultaneously (or as near to as logistically possible) around the world. Alongside a DRM free format that any and all online (or bricks and mortar for that matter) retailers can sell at a reasonable price. So basically the same method of retail for DVDs, CDs, etc, but applied exactly the same to digital media as well.

MadG

P.S. yes, i know some DVDs and CDs come with DRM of some sort, but its no where near as intrusive/deal-killing as that publishers and retailers try and foist on us as consumers with digital media.

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

as i understand it, there is an international agreement on copyrights, it doesn't matter if the copyright holder is in another country, they still own the copyright, and if so inclined, may take action against anyone found to be infringing that copyright.

just as a side note, the coyright holder would need to use the courts of the country where the infringement happened.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

in the days of vhs, you were allowed to record tv shows for later viewing, but were technically supposed to erase the recording, once watched, the same applies to pvrs, once watched your supposed to delete the content.

17. rimscar

rimscar What's a Dremel?

Don't be silly AshT, if you own a PC you are a criminal, so get used to it :D
    And the reason we get shows so much later than the USA is because of that big wet thing in between us. Apparently that screws up data by slowing it all down as it passes, much in the same way as it manages to increase exponentially the cost....
    And think of all the people it would put out of work who deal with all the region coding, or putting film trailers or antipiracy/"don't show this on an oil rig" warnings.
    And what about those special USA versions of films/bluray packages that you can't get over here?
    Or what about when they cancel the series in the US, just as we start getting into it over here...
    I`m frightened to think how much money i would have lost had i gone to visit the flicks to watch the 10 godawful films per one really good one the film industry is churning out at the moment.
    And before anyone thinks piracy, no, i borrow films i may have an interest in and if they are worth it i buy the bluray---if they've put any effort in the transfer/extras etc :wallbash: :D

Perhaps if they sorted out their own "mine, mine, mine" philosophy and adopted Gabe Newell's mantra of "what have we done for the consumer today", we potential purchasers would be a whole helluva lot more sympathetic to their cause.

Feckers :duh:

18. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

Given that most DVDs are region locked, you actually can't import it. Well, not unless you have a region-free DVD player.

19. battles_atlas

battles_atlas What's a Dremel?

Its such mind blowing hypocrisy for an industry that feeds, and relies upon, the notion that we the consumer should get what we want, when we want, to at the same time try desperately to hold onto a business model of 'copyright regions' which prevents us from accessing content legally, and is entirely archaic in the internet age.

I just downloaded series 4 and 5 of sunny in philadelphia, illegally. I tried buying it, but they didn't bother releasing it over here, at least yet. I actually bought the US version of series 3, only to run into the problem of the fricking region protection on my dvd drive. Its the same with films - if its something I want to see then I'll see it - if you wont allow me a legal means of doing that because you're too busy marketing it in America instead, then tough - I'll find other means.

Until every product is available to download, in all countries, at sensible prices, at the same time, and without insane Ubisoft esque DRM, the industry should shut up about piracy.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct.
    Which is why we pay an extra charge on VCR's, VCR tapes, DVD-Burners and blank DVD's.
    All of us

Tags: Add Tags