1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Billing a debt collection agency

Discussion in 'Serious' started by cybergenics, 1 Apr 2010.

1. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Being pursued by a debt collection firm for a debt that was cleared before they decided to contact me. No amounts of letters or communication appear to put them off, even quoting they are in breach of this guideline or that law etc. The originator, T-Mobile seem to be pretty nonchalant, and assure me they have told the debt firm, several times to forget it.

So my friend who's brother is a solicitor, seems to think I should write to them, and say an administration charge has been placed for dealing with them, at say a nominal £45, and any further correspondance will be handled by a solicitor as a greater sum.

I am self employed and own a registered business, so is this legal ? Anyone know ?

Apologies if it is also a daft question, but this debt firm are really annoying me.

mvagusta likes this.
  2. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

pop over to money saving expert website, in the forums (i would probably suggest the debt free wannabe part of the forum) and post up the details, lots of people there very good with this sort of things also has template letters to send with all the legal jargon in it which should get things sorted for you, and if there isnt a template some people will probably try and draft one for you

mvagusta likes this.
  3. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Find out where the office is, spend 200 pounds on a LAW and wait until there is a public holiday. They will leave you alone after that, promise.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Well, given the fact that you have contacted them before, telling them to get their facts straight, as well as having sent them evidence of that (i would assume), I'd reckon that it's legal.
    It would be legal in this part of the world at least, and I have done similar things to have people STFU and stop harassing me.
    I'd suggest you talk to your mate's brother (maybe even for free, if he's kind enough... but don't expect it) or another lawyer. They should be able to help you out in that regard.

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Wikipedia says they cost €670 though :(

6. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

If anyone is interested. The debt scumbags kept writing letters, and T-Mobile failed to do anything. Spoke to the OFT (who were useless) and in the end found out I could report Tmobile to this onsbudsmann (spelling?) scheme called Cicas or something like that. All of a sudden T-Mobile started to be a lot mroe accomodating, but I said they had encourage 'illegal debt collection practises'.

Rang up this firm (debt firm) to try and just tell them to GTF. Spoke to some guy called Ian who gave me a load of attitude and say I had to pay this and that. I said 'what if I don't'. He said a debt collection agent will call and could take personal belongings. He then said, 'what would I do then'. I said bury the debt collection guy in the garden and come looking for you (meaning this Ian bloke), and he hung up. Just hope he didn't record the call. I was a bit pissed off.

7. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

This gave me Lols
    I doubt it was a good idea but I sure feel your frustration in making endless phone calls. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite you in the ass later on.

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Lolz the last one i spoke to for the same reason as you but a different company, I told him that if they were going to come knocking make sure they've got crash hats on. I dont think they record calls, their telephone manner isnt usually up to much so it would probably cause them more trouble tbh.

9. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Well if they do send bailiffs, since they will be there illegally you could use reasonable force to protect your property.

10. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Ha,

I know exactly what you mean, I've done exactly the same myself and I really don't give a f*ck if they recorded the call, no one threatens me if I know I haven't done sh*t wrong, then again thinking about it, no one threatens me even if I have done sh*t wrong because I'd ring them up and tell them to come knocking and I'd bury them in the garden ;) :D:eeek:

11. JohnDribble

JohnDribble What's a Dremel?

Hence the mention of a LAW I suppose - have you seen TV shows like Baliff Brother? :D