1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building a new PC on a high budget, (Epicly long post...)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toploaded, 28 Mar 2010.

1. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

Absolutely awesome, fantastic spec, £75 under budget and you eveen managed to get a copy of AvP. I don't think it is possible to build a better system for OP. :)

You have restored my faith in Alaskans. ;)

2. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Hahahaha, thanks I think... I'm not a native Alaskan though, I'm originally from Missouri!

3. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

And there ya have it, that will be what I order tonight, with 75 quids worth of extras such as a headset and new mouse.

I just ran this set up by one of my clan members, who it turns out is a major hardware buff (I had no idea till now) and his response was something along the lines of 'Wow I don't think you can get a much more spot on setup for that price range' although he did bitch about the color scheme, but I'm liking the blue so all good ;)

Thanks all, and thanks for that updated list Jared, will save me much time. I'll post a pic of the final built pc in around 8 days time. Might even do photos as I go, just for the fun of it.

:clap:

4. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

I agree the Corsair hx line would suit your build and save you a lot of money.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2010
  5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

+1 for the spec! As I said, if you can't get a removable MB tray get a roomey case, and that case is roomey :) Fingers crossed it all bulds ok, i still get a nervous sweat when i first power on, although when is 'beeps' and starts up it's like creating new life!

LIVE!!! LIVE!!! *que thunder and lightning!*

6. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Glad to know my picks are getting praises! :p

Toploaded, definitely take some pics along the way, and if you have any issues start up a thread.

Toploaded likes this.
  7. Toploaded

Okay, order placed, money taken, will arrive Thursday the 8th (took 3 days off work to build the hardware, fully set up the software, and of course, use it!)

When I told my clan member hardware friend about my change in case to the 1200, he went crazy, promptly spending the next 30 mins telling me that the original choice was far better and I would live to regret it blah blah... lol. In the end I figured that if it's that important to him, and everyone in this thread that did a PC build pretty much agreed on that case, then what the hell, I can spare the extra 30 quid Coolermaster ATCS 840 is now what's on it's way to me.

(and truth be told, I kinda like the more mature, simple look of the case anyway)

Added a headset, an All in 1 Internal Card Reader, and a mouse, and it came out at 2050. All in all I'm happy, I'll post back Thurs or Friday with my build results and pics. I will also invest in a good 50 quid keyboard at some point, but for now the one I'm using is pretty nice to type on.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Dude...that's going to be a beast....

9. Toploaded

Yeah, it's been my dream, I've always been at best on mid range PC's and considering the amount of time I spend using them, making games and gaming, I figured it was time to treat myself.

I have worked 60-70 hours a week (although I'll admit my jobs kinda easy), gave up drinking, and did what ever I could to save as much money as I could over the last 10 months. My goal was a 2000-2500 pc, but I'm more then impressed with what I could get for 2000, so I'll get it a month or more early and then pump that 500 into something more a few months down the line.

Really happy with the advice I've gotten here, this forum has a new regular member for sure.

10. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

With the H50 you'll also need to turn off any fan management in the bios so the pump/waterblock gets the full 12v.

Toploaded likes this.
  11. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

Look forward to updates, I swear you have almost the exact same needs and build experience as I had about 3 months ago (apart from your budget is 3 times higher ;) )

12. Toploaded

Okay thanks, I'll look into that.

13. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

I cant find the post where you listed the items you got or is it post number 43 or 80?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vampalan/sets/72157605471230566/

If you refer to the pictures in my photoset here, I was in the same situation as you some time ago, about 16 months ago actually. Went for the Asus Rampage 2 Extreme and stripped out the heatsinks for water cooling blocks, also water cooled my graphics card. So in the end still has a lot of noise, but none of that high pitch whine, just a lot of airflow noise.

Looking back on the project, I should have gone for two loops rather than one. Will do for next build.. dunno when.. :D

Any reason why youre not going on for a full on water cooling setup apart from the fear of water?

Some people say for motherboards, gigabyte, some say asus, and there's XFX.

My suggestion is that to have one super duper fast hard disk (within your budget) and a pair of super duper large hard disks mirrored or manual duplicate/software duplicate. Hard disks will break and do break. You can never have too much ram..lol.

I also have other hard disk to boot off, for other OS'es.

Might also be worth considering games on one disk and serious stuff on another.. yes, it will be a PITA to switch, but everyone knows how messy windows gets in the end.

14. Toploaded

Yeah, I didn't want to take the risk of making a full on crazy water cooling set up on my first ever pc. Maybe next time later when I add a 2nd GPU ect. Honestly I don't plan on overclocking in the near future so it's not a priority.

I've decided that the SSD can wait. I'm already going to experience a massive speed increase to levels I've never seen, that I'm happy to wait a year or so and upgrade again. Gives me somthing to look foward to once the rush of having a PC this powerful has started to wear off :)

Oh final rig was this:

[​IMG]

15. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

hehe, they do cost a bit too much, but not sure how long they will last, as youre not supposed to do the swap drive on the SSD, otherwise you'll wear it out.

A PC's never too fast either.
    I didnt do any long term overclocking on my PC, it kept doing random crashes every few days, no idea why, but after I took off the overclock it stopped, so I gave up.

Should be a really nice build anyway. You seem to be missing a copy of windows. ;)

16. Toploaded

Nah I got that covered, have a DVD of Windows 7 ultimate that I currently have on my MacBook on boot camp, that I'm happy to swap over to the new install.

17. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

IMHO, whatever setup you're going to buy, you should include the matrox th2g digital and three monitors, it will be invaluable while your developing, and of course totally cool when gaming also ;)

18. masterjonny

masterjonny What's a Dremel?

TH2G?

His primary card supports 3 monitors anyway, along with EyeFinity technology, negating the only 2 features of the TH2G?

19. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

QFT. 5870 does triple monitors as a single already.

20. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

But then your limited to monitors that support displayport, well at least one of them anyway.
    With TH2G all you need is DVI.

Also with TH2G it is matured technology, what about ATI's version of it? Is it anygood? Reliable?

Just my 2p worth. :)