1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Core i5 750 - have I applied TIM wrong?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iskador, 2 Apr 2010.

1. Iskador

Iskador What's a Dremel?

I'm building my first pc for about 7 years .:)

I have so far put the pc together out of the box, just to check that the cpu and heatsink has been installed correctly.
    I have a Core i5 750 with a Gelit Tranquillo, and Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 motherboard.

In PC health status the cpu temp initially went up to 26c and then after a while lowered to 24c. I was expecting something like 14-16c.
    I also notice that the Bios is reporting that the cpu is clocked at 2.8ghz not the stock 2.66ghz, so I'm wondering whether that would account for the extra temps, or perhaps i've installed the TIM incorrectly? I can't varify this in Windows, I haven't got that far yet. I don't know why its at 2.8ghz, any ideas?
    I used the TIM that came with the HSF and put a small blob of in the middle and then just squished the heatsink on top and screwed down.
    Do you think I should start over?

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

You will never ever get 14-16C on a modern cpu, let alone a quad core. You are getting higher clock speeds due to turbo boost.

3. Anarki

Anarki CULV fan

That's the way I usually do it. The pressure from the heatsink should distribute the TIM evenly. I think that some people manually fill the whole contant area with the TIM, but I never bothered and never had any problems.

4. Iskador

Iskador What's a Dremel?

Ahh ok. I didn't think turbo boost would kick in the BIOS. Is that temp ok from idle?

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

That temp is very good when idle. My i7 930 idles at 38C with Fenrir.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

lol 14-16c is less than room temperature

realistically you will never get below 25c in a normal room

unless you live in the artic then you might lol

my old i920 idled around the 38c mark also with a fenrir ( 3.6ghz overclock)(antec 1200 case)

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Some people will argue that nothing guarantees you won't get a bunch spewing off one end and unevenly spreading or worse: seeping off the side onto components. This would be especially possible if you place the heatsink on with uneven pressure and even if you place it straight down you might have it spread it a circle and not touch the corners of the contact area. Since it only takes a minute or two I like to spread it out manually just to be safe, nothing too meticulous, just enough to be sure it covers the whole square.

8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Regardless of which way you spread your TIM, those temperatures are pretty good. You will never get something cooled by air to colder than ambient air temperature; somewhere around 25-30 degrees centigrade at idle should be just fine.

9. Iskador

Iskador What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll get on with mounting it into the case. I'll see if it goes any lower with the added benefit of the extra case fans.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

depends on room temp mate, what if he is in a room which is -10 degree's i ask! lol!

11. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Am I the only one noticing he's going by the temps in the PC health status portion of the BIOS? What the BIOS receives for a temp and actual temps are different... The motherboard uses its own temperature probe to monitor the CPU, but it's never actually what the CPU's temps are at.

If you want to know what the real operating temps are, get Windows running, and download Realtemp. It will tell you the temps that the processor itself is reporting, and not what the motherboard is telling you the CPU's temp is.

12. Iskador

Iskador What's a Dremel?

I've since used Core Temp to find out the CPU temperatures.
    The lowest reading i've had is 21c, however on average its 23-24c on idle.
    I used prime95 to stress test the cores and the highest reading was 51c on one core and 47-48c on the others.
    All in all pretty good I think.

I've also noticed the processor changes its clock speed depending on what its doing. I guess thats Turbo boost in play. When idle its 1197mhz and when intensely doing something this gets ramped up to 2799mhz with all cores being used.

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Those temps are good.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

if his room is -10c his pc wont boot

pc operating temp is 5c onwards

and if it was -10c and did manage to boot you would fry every component with condisation

15. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I wouldn't be upset by that - Your getting idle temperatures like those of a watercooled 920. Ofcourse, it will go up with overclocking but those are good temperatures.