1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building a new PC on a high budget, (Epicly long post...)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toploaded, 28 Mar 2010.

1. masterjonny

masterjonny What's a Dremel?

I agree it might be more matured, but those TH2G don't come cheap. A quick google shopping search show's they run for ~£200.

Where as using the ATi's proprietary tech, granted you need a display port to DVI adaptor, but they aren't that dear, showing up as ~£9 on Froogle.

200 quid might be justified to have access to such features if you can't do it any other way, but personally I don't think it can be justified to have a slightly better version of something you already own.

2. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I wish you guys would shut up about EyeFinity lol! I'm trying not to think about it too much until I can afford another 2 Dells to run it nicely (and that will come after my first SSD and GPU).
    And by then the EyeFinity would have matured anyway.

Also I'm happy to wait until there are more games supporting it, although it seems that the source engine and it's games already all work great so that covers many of the games I play or will be playing.

3. Toploaded

And from what I've been reading today, even that's questionable and driver support seems to be a thing of the past, and something about issues with 16:9 monitors.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

5. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I never thought of setting the monitors to portrait, it looks amazing! Shame the driver doesn't take the bezel into account, yet...

6. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

You sure about that? I thought they added that in 10.3.

7. Toploaded

Very cool stuff, I will go that way one day for sure, but I guess for now it was either 3 okay/good monitor, or one very nice monitor, and I've been waiting to see how it feels to use something like the dell I'm getting. Again, I guess its' one of those things that will have matured somewhat when I get around to getting it, and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Okay another question, I wanted Bluetooth too, whats the best solution for that?

8. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I don't know, I'm just repeating what the reviewer has said in the links provided. It's possible, especially if that review is old.

9. masterjonny

masterjonny What's a Dremel?

What he said is true :thumb:

I don't use it personally, but I do go through release notes before installing drivers

USB bluetooth dongles are super cheap. You can even get little "nano" ones that once there in the port you can hardly see them.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=usb+bluetooth+dongle&aq=2&oq=usb+blue

They sort of start at a tenner, and I can imagine they all have identical functionality. Personally out of all of those I would at least go for a name you know such as Asus or Belkin, and steer away from the cheaper generic brands such as Trust or Interlink

Last edited: 4 Apr 2010
    Toploaded likes this.
  10. Toploaded

Okay cool thanks, I think that completes my setup for now, other then the keyboards, which I'll wait awhile on anyway.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

All set then?

12. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

13. Toploaded

Haha, fair comment, although it was longer then your average build post, and the thread itself has (surprisingly) exceeded 5 pages, so it will stand. I think it's fair to say the word 'epic' has in the last few years kinda got watered down to be just another slag term for 'really' or 'big'. In my case, I used it for dramatic effect :)

@ bloodly_Pete

Yup, ordered, will all arrive on the 8th. I work 6-7 days (well nights) a week but I took 3 days off for the sake of building this rig. Will take pics of the build in progress, then the first thing I'm likely to do once I boot it up and get online is post them here.

14. Toploaded

Ha, well, I was just getting my 'work space' ready to accommodate the PC that will be arriving tomorrow, and noticed that the area that I just assumed would be easily big enough to put the case in, won't be. That will teach me for not paying closer attention to the reviews and sizes. 58cms high? DAAAAAMN!

The space I wanted to put it into is infact 59cms high, but then I can't get to the top mounted ports ect. Ah well, time to rethink the set up in my rather small PC room.

15. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Haha, the one downfall to larger cases! Need to see some pics when everything arrives! ... And of course when it's all together.

16. Toploaded

Well it's 3:40 pm and I was woken up by the doorbell, it's here! (I work nights).

So time to grab a shower, coffee, maybe go for a quick walk to make sure I see some sunlight today, and then it's time to take the plunge. Kinda nervous :O

17. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Thats for a passive adaptor, you need a powered active adaptor that are about £100 for eyefinity.

And good luck with the build, i'm sure you'll love that pc! I sure would:rock:

18. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

No you don't... ATI's own website states you only need the active adapter for resolutions over 1920 x 1200 (aka, single-link DVI).

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Toploaded, pics or it didn't happen! No worries, if you run into any issues, you know where to post about it.

19. Toploaded

Well, can't say i'm having much fun here :p I wish I had just paid someone else to do it to be honest, I've been a nervous wreak the entire time, and nothing seems to fit exactly as I hoped it would (the GPU just didn't seem as snug as it should as I was fitting the screws, but it is in correctly to the board, and the board is in right)

Fitted the CPU, watercooler, GPU, Ram PSU so far. Took me 5 hours just to get that far lol.

I'm kinda at a sticking point here, I have no idea how to correctly connect the case headers. The manual says about + and -. but looking at the connector I can't see what is + and - there, just S and G...

I guess it's in the blue cable or white cable but I'm as yet not sure.

20. Toploaded

Got it I think, Black or white is negative, color is positive.