1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL The weapons you would use at your last stand against a legion of zombies

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheiken, 6 Apr 2010.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

If only the site worked...

WOW it was slow as fook..

And Sloth..I'll stick by my Katana thanks ;)

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'd like to quote the Zombie Survival Guide;

Blades don't need reloading.

However, guns do have their place, but last stand implies no escape, no escape implies close quarters. Reloading under fire is not as easy as reloading in a shooting range, and reloading under pending death via-bite would likely be even more disconcerting :p

3. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

Did it not work? Sorry about that.

4. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Tried to look at the different weapons...just got the page header, and part of the contents list...

Just swing like a mad-man..

5. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

If i get a house in america (like a holdiday home kinda thing) would i be allowed to buy rifles and what not? Or do you have to be a citizen?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

7. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Thing is everyone is suggesting huge numbers of firearms which will limit mobility or no firearms because they are in the UK and believe that they would not have access to enough ammo has no one thought that in the Uk that that we have a ready supply of automatic weapons.

By the time its desperate enough to be considered a last stand the army and police armed response units would have been sent in to try and stop the horde at the start of the apolocalpse just as society dies dead many of these people will die dropping their weapons on the floor also army bases could be raided both for automatic weapons and for secure transport as could police stations.

and ideally i would be driving something like this unfortunately I'm in the UK and it isn't :(

Last edited: 6 Apr 2010
  8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Well if you're going into that level of detail then the arguments are:

A) It's an unspecified legion that's already turned on you, so survival chances are zero anyway
    B) The best offense is a good defense, so get in a multi-story and isolate yourself instead of attacking
    C) In the UK? = The only gun I've ever use or could get my hands on for sure would be a double barrel shotgun. Beyond that I'm looking at a cavalry cutlass and a bow and arrow.
    Well, unless I tracked down some unsavoury old school friends and laid my hands on a few pistols and grenades...

Regardless, that would be my loadout.

Bolt action rifle is reliable and the .22 caliber generally means low noise, less hassle. Silence it for the default weapon when all you want to do is take out one or two zombies in your path.

Shotgun is good for blowing off knee-caps and damaging brains and the SPAS-12 is familiar, which counts for a lot. Good crowd control if you can limit the flow of zombies through a doorway.

Glock is, from the little I know of firearms, a fairly reliable pistol with a high-magazine capacity. It's also small, so perfect for extreme close range.

Trench knife is the best all round weapon. You can't be sure of having room to swing an axe and, in that situation, endurance becomes an issue. Chopping down a tree is fatiguing work as it is; factor in stress and accuracy and I'm not sure I could keep that up against a pressing horde. I'd rather have brass knuckles and a short, reinforced blade. Less room, strength and endurance required.

But, yeah, if you've actually alerted a innumerable mass of zombies and you're being swarmed then it isn't realistically going to matter what weapon you have because you've already failed.

9. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

1x WAH64-D with 30mm HEI goodness for area weapon system, and all the CRV7 flashettes it can carry. :)

10. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Not only that. Also zero noise, wich is very important if you won't like to be a beacon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this one (crabs, zombies... the same s***)

[​IMG]

11. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Unless you have a small, diesel powered lawnmower handy...

12. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Really can't say I'm feeling the trench knife. Certianly incapable of stabbing through a skull, even necks get a little tough to slice. You'd have to get in for very close range, there's a very large risk of a quick arm bite as you go in for a kill. As for the brass knuckle portion, zombies don't exactly feel pain so it comes down to more of a glorified way of pushing things rather than fighting them. I suppose you could maybe beat one down if you landed enough blows to the head, but it seems unlikely. Unlikely but still possible with anything that has any sort of around finger or hand gripping mechanic is the threat of a) having something grab and twist/pull it and hurting your hand or b) more likely being in a split-second scenario where you need a hand free now where other weapons could be dropped much easier. A isn't so bad since the blade would cut anything grabbing it and is pretty short, but B is still there. But of course, if you predict it being a problem you can always just not have the knife out...

To not totally be an ass who just refutes everything you say, the silenced .22 might not be a bad addition to any setup. With subsonic rounds you would be whisper quiet but still pretty potent at reasonable ranges. It would be an excellent way to even the odds before a melee fight as well if you had a life or death motive and a large group was blocking you, or to just take care of an outlying zombie who might alert a larger pack in the distance should you engage him in melee.

14. Toka

Toka Minimodder

So, for a close up weapon Id have one of these with a big bag of ammo :)

Hopefully I can keep things a bit further away and use one of these :)

If I run out of zombies in the imediate locale Id like one of these

But mounted on one of these, not a chopper (Get to the Chopper!)

But if there are loads of them I might need something like a tank to get them with, or something better than a tank :)

but of course, if stuff gets close.... Id need this

or this

Last edited: 6 Apr 2010
  15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The devil is in the detail, afterall!

Getting hold of firearms isn't as hard as it seems, so long as you have a half decent plan and a knowledge of your local shooting grounds/firearms retailers. Most will carry both guns and ammunition - Of course, within UK law - and might be lower down the list than military/police installations. Shooting grounds sometimes offer a "storage" system for members that would rather keep their guns at the club, negates the need for a safe at home. While the club storage wouldn't be unsecure, the odds are far better for getting into those than someones home.

Shotgun licenses, for the time being (There is talk of the CPSA being merged with the NRA, which could lead to different application processes), are fairly (in the context of weaponry licenses) easy to come by.

I agree, though, that stamina would be an issue for some - Which is why I wouldn't recommend an all mele loadout to anyone other than a small handful of my friends that I know are capable of dealing with it :p

However, I'd still not recommend firearms take primary position, if only because of their relative failure rates. Especially assuming that you've survived long enough that there is an insurmountable number of zombies bearing down on you - The situation implies a good six or so month period, which is more than enough time for a primary, or even secondary, firearm to go down the ******* and abandon you at the worst possible time.

You are right, though, about Glocks. From what I hear - Not having been able to use one, goddamn UK - They are solid pieces of kit. AFAIK, they consist of ~33 moving parts, which is a good number in terms of maintenance in the field.

My primary concern with a .22 is the potential for it not to do sufficient damage to bring down a zombie. The brain is going to deteriorate as time goes by, yet the zombie is likely to continue to function, how much brain matter needs to be destroyed before the zombie becomes a pile of meat that doesn't intend on eating you?

As for blowing off legs, I'm not a fan. In the situation offered, if you have a number of zombies coming towards you in a steady stream, how soon is it going to be before you take a zombies legs off, and have to change targets several times immediately afterwards leading you to forget that there is a "live" zombie in the corpses, making its way over to you unheard?

Once you suspect that even one knows where you are, though, it's get out or get dead IMO.

16. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

Personal opinion is that .22LR is only lethal if you hit a critical organ, artery or nerve. Otherwise it lacks the weight and speed to do any significant damage.

As far as gun reliability, unless you're planning on being constantly mobile most guns don't need much more than a squirt of lubricant into the action to keep them going. Even then a decent field strip doesn't take more than a few minutes which you would probably be able to work in somewhere. Barring that a revolver is pretty much baseball (or cricket bat) reliable. I haven't cleaned mine in 4 years and it hasn't had a single hiccup.

I think it varies state to state but for the most part you just need to a drivers license (a legal resident), a clean criminal record and the appropriate cash for the firearm.

I googled the address and it should work. I can't verify since I am at work and they kind of frown on surfing those sights.

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Good. Anything less than a brain shot is a wasted shot in this case. In the instance I was describing you'd want to cause as little fuss as possible while still puncturing the brain at a distance. Standard zombie practice says that you just need to damage the brain to destroy the zombie - anything that punctures the skull would do the trick. That's why an assault rifle is mostly useless unless you can be certain of hitting the head. Even a three shot burst will always be a waste of ammo - either two bullets or needless, or all of them have gone awry.

Standard loadout would be the obvious one proposed in the Zombie Survival Guide. One long range silent weapon - usually silenced rifle or bow. One close/medium range weapon for crowd control - usually a shotgun of some kind since power becomes more essential in these situations. One extreme close range/suicide weapon - a pistol that you'd never be without. One melee weapon for last resort - trench knife if you just need a weapon, crowbar if you need a recovery tool. You can vary it up based on personal ability, but you need to tick each box at least once.

Really though, it's moot - strategy is where it's at. With the right strategy and ability you could feasibly hold off many zombies with just a knife. Likewise, with fire, explosives, rifles or vehicles. It's about figuring how to slow the tide and put yourself in a postion where you have safety, an advantageous position and time on your side. That can be as advanced as waiting for them to rot into nothing from within a nuclear sub, or as simple as knocking out the stairs and swinging at them with a spear.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2010
  18. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Strensall Barracks is less than 5 miles away...
    RAF Linton-On-Ouse is around 15 miles away...
    Local bike shop (which has some nice CF racers in) is around a mile away

I have a champagne bottle from my 18th to stop the first attacker, should give me enough time to get downstairs and grab a few knives... possibly the sledgehammer, jump on my (not too bad, but not exactly fast either) bike, and hole up in Strensall.

SA80s and enough huge trucks to keep them away until America comes to the rescue (I'm working on the assumption that Zombies can't swim, so there's no chance they'll be anywhere BUT the UK if they break out in the UK)

If for any reason the above plan goes down the pan, I have the champagne bottle and a few pretty heavy hammers knocking about... :)

19. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Or you could use face paint like bill murray in zombieland.
    For a weapon, I'd use a katana and a m4 carbine, preferably with some type of optics.

20. Matticus

Matticus ...

I think my bass guitar and skateboard would make some lovely weapons. Skating around swinging my bass around knocking the heads off zombies, I assume they come off easily.

But in an ideal world I would grab my backburner and go all W+M1 on their zombie rear ends. I would fully expect critical hit to pop up in mid air to let me know I got crits from behind.