1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best UK Games Ever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 7 Apr 2010.

1. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Nice review but u missed out LittleBigPlanet? :O!!!

2. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Do any Chris Sawyer games count? (transport tycoon, rollercoaster tycoon)

3. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Along with these video games, you forgot bad mitten and ping pong and other games that do not require upper body strength :D Merry Christmas !

4. Orionche

Orionche Guest

GoldenEye was my first multiplayer experience and probably first addiction. I played it at a game center back in '99 with a bunch of friends. I still remember how I managed to get all cheat unlocks and all time records... well, for the most part anyway. :p Those damn N64 controllers got me a blister on my thumb. :\

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i always looked at people with a raised eyebrow when they used to tell me goldeneye was the best thing since sliced bread as I was playing quake and unreal long before.

i suppose you could say it was like comparing halo to half life back in the day.

6. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Reading this has given me the drive to restart looking for jobs in the industry I have my qualification in, since I was getting sick of being totally ignored by companies who were all like "WORKED ON AT LEAST 1 AAA TITLE, IF YOU HAVEN'T DON'T BOTHER APPLYING"

7. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Sensible software and Sports Interactive as stated earlier must get a mention somewhere.

8. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Elite has to go down as my favorite game of the past. I wasted (sorry usefully used up) many hours playing this.

I still play it on my pc (Elite - Newkind) which was released by Christian Pindar - Download from here

It's fantastic to still be able to play it, I have to change to wire mode though. Just dosn't look right with the graphics as solids.

9. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Boo, you linked to a crappy jet set willy remake! Play the original here: http://zxspectrum.net/

might need to find it in the list as I can't seem to get a direct link. It'll be listed under 1984

10. Tricky2050

Tricky2050 What's a Dremel?

Great list but as much as I love dungeon keeper, Theme Hospital is one of my all time favourites. Still play it now. Also Startopia was one of my favourite british games aswell.

11. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Go wash your mouth out! Elite != EvE Online (aka Spreadsheets in Space). While you did upgrade your equipment the only skills involved were your own, please leave all dice rolls at the door 'cos we ain't using random numbers here! When I were a lad we flew using self built analogue joysticks (several visits to Tandy, a soldering iron, lots of sweat and burns - it wasn't pretty but it worked), none of this point and click mullarkey! :p

I was likewise playing Quake and Unreal but didn't even have a dial up connection, let alone anything fast enough to game on. It was a very rare occasion when I played against anything other than AI until the N64 and Goldeneye. The Friday Night Frag Fest wouldn't have been the same without this game (and beer, of course!) and it taught many of my friends a valuable lesson regarding prox mines - check the ceiling too :naughty:

12. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

+1

13. riggs

riggs ^_^

Haha...YES! I remember playing that on an old 386 machine. I'll never forget the sound of that "Bomb the Bass" track blasting out of the internal speaker!
    True, it was a damn hard game, but invinsibility mode prevailed (F7 at the menu, 'i' in-game to activate)

14. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Anyone played the d3d version of Frontier First Encounters (EliteIII) it's amazing what they've done with a 15 year old game that was broken on release.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Joint Operations: Typhoon rising

16. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Cool article, but where was Advanced Lawnmower Simulator?!?

Also, I sincerely hope you're planning on running an article on guys like Tim Follin as part of this UK gaming series.

17. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

+1 for the Dizzy series or indeed anything by the Oliver twins

18. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Bitmap brothers is indeed a sad omission! Speedball and Xenon....

I also loved Starglider - Argonaut software

And the Psygnosis games, style over substance is nothing new! "great graphics, but where is the game?!"

and a great Frenchie title:

Flashback - Delphine Software

19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

EVE is the Heir to Elite's excellence.

20. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I noticed the show based on the Rome: Total War engine was mentioned - personally I loved watching Time Commanders, mainly because the historian guys were hilariously over the top describing stuff! :D It got me into playing the series, and I've put in many hours since.

Tags: Add Tags