1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL The weapons you would use at your last stand against a legion of zombies

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheiken, 6 Apr 2010.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I love the fact that you think america would rescue us BEFORE the UN would lol Also zombies dont need to breathe so theywouldjust walk alongthe ocean bed secondlythey would also walk through the Channel tunnel when zombie attacks happen its worldwide.

2. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

just find the loopholes :D

go to a yard sale or a gun show of some sort and you can easily acquire firearms of all sorts with no waiting period, licenses, proof of citizenship, etc.:thumb:

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

retro fit my volvo with polycarb windows,

Are we talking 28 days zombies that spread it via bodily fluids or just the plan eatting of brains?

either way, i would gather as many people and travel to the nearest supermarket to barricade myself in.

Then move as much fresh food into the freezers and secure a clean water source to then ration from.

Next would be a secure fuel supply, getting the petrol and diesel pumps working is a must, using the supermarket as a head quarters.

Also find a suitable holding cell, so any body new can go into quarantine for the required delay time to check if the infection isn't brewing with in them or party of people. If one has it take the executive decision to cull the whole group and burn the bodies. Risk of infection would be too high.

Food, shelter and fuel secured, not much left to do other than communications. By broadcasting the location, not only brings more people in, but can bring information and weapons. Once the first location is set up, leave a group behind and move to the next supermarket with in 15 miles and repeat the process.

Of course sitting up top of the building shooting zombies sounds fun, but would only attract more, better to have secure entrance's that are monitored but let the zombies roam until a major problem occurs which would then be dealt with by leading them away some how.

Shooting them only stacks up the bodies, bad for health and the smell would attract all the wrong things.

This plan not only works for a zombie invasion but also works for situations like a madmax world.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Eww, Supermarket?

A building designed to display all the wonderous items it sells, most of which are food?

What you are to a zombie?

Too many windows >.>

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Firearms wise, i'd say a Glock with HC mag is a good option.
    Also, a HK is a more accurate option. Either way, go for .45 rather than 9mm, as stopping power would be king. If possible, .45 Hollow points. Even more.
    The idea would be to be able to defend yourself as long as possible, and possibly keep moving in a direction where there might b help.
    hence I would use ultra portable weapons only. I reckon, when it comes to larger-than-handgun weapons, a FN P90 might be a good choice. 50-round mags, tumbling 5.56mm ammo (designed for stopping), and operable with one hand. 3kg with a loaded mag, 900 rounds a minute max firing rate. Only conditions to using one: Have spare clips, loads of them. Short, controlled bursts, medium to short distance only.
    Getting your hands on one might prove tricky though, what with the non-NATO compliant ammunition and all.

Places to bunker up in? Something with a clear shot for at least 100 metres in all directions, hard to break into, and storing food. Not a mall. We have some nice old colonial forts here that have proven themselves a couple of times.

Generally, my plan would be to GTFO, though. Find a small group of survivors, keep moving.
    These survivors would all have to be fairly fit. I wouldn't slow for one of them.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

What are you with out food and water?

7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I would go to one of the wall-marts. Prefer one with a large antenna on the roof where I could build a scouting nest. Then just wait it out.

8. liratheal

There are better places to get food and water than staying in a supermarket :p

Supermarkets are typically so large that it'd be reasonable to have a lapse in security in a section that otherwise went unnoticed, and ****ed it up for everybody.

The best supermarket I've seen as a defensible structure would be my local Tesco, it's mostly raised off the ground;

[​IMG]

However, you still have to demolish the main entrance - Which is two conveyor style ramps (For wimps and old people who can't push a shopping trolly up or down a slight slope) and a set of stairs. Given the rest of the stores construction, steel girders and concrete slabs, that'd be a hell of a task without either compromising the rest of the structures integrity, or attracting every zombie for fifty miles. The rear doors are mostly loading bays, and have roller shutters. Not ideal, but better than most supermarkets.

Even with these advantages, I'd not want to spend more than ten minutes there.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Interesting thought: if you're running around with guns, would the military treat you the same in a zombie apocalypse as they would in peacetime and shoot on sight? Because my money's with the military in a zombie scenario. I think they'd fare well. As a collateral survivor, you'd have two concerns: (1) getting to them alive and (2) making sure they don't kill you anyway.

The reason I bring it up is because the military probably have the best buildings to survive these things. Any civilian structure is just pure ass; "home defense" is a contradiction. Homes are just giant bundles of entry points; public buildings doubly so. Some industrial structures might fare better, but they'd have no supplies at all.

edit - earlier comments against pump actions are totally correct, I've used them before and they do jam all the goddamn time. I wouldn't want to rely on them.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2010
  10. liratheal

B_e makes an excellent point, and one I've often considered.

How would the military react to a zombie outbreak?

It would make sense to me that a large number of "grunts" and CO/NCO's are going to be the right age to have grown up like us - Around the zombie mythology. Would they know/have enough pull to advise "grunts" that headshots are the only surefire way to down a member of an undead horde?

If so, how long would a zombie outbreak truely last? Quarantine would not be far behind Martial Law, I expect, and the Military likely have done several thousand biological hazard drills with their HazMat teams, so once the symptoms were officially stated, and the military (Presumably TA would be called up too, National Guard for you Americans) had established mobile command points around the country, it would surely be a case of sweeping populated areas and farmland, fencing off unpopulated/usually impassable terrain until such a time that a safe sweep could be made.

I think Shaun Of the Dead, despite the RomCom nature of the film, had it right with the army showing up and basically crushing zombies. It doesn't seem too farfetched to assume that the military would trounce a zombie outbreak, if confined to a single country, and decimating the infection globally would probably fall to the UN or similar.

I imagine it would be harder if it were a situation like Resident Evil, where a corporation tried to cover the existence of the infection until such a point that it reached several other major cities, and was still not being called what it was. Even then, though, surely the military would posses the equipment and training to lock down major locations?

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

IMHO, most militaries (i.e. first world armies - not so much in most of Africa) would make short work of a Z-Outbreak.
    A quick implementation of Quarantine of the affected areas, and after a short attempt to rectify, a shoot-first order would fall into place. Think firing squads shooting down wave after wave.
    Dependant on the size of the outbreak at that time, more drastic measures would be considered - specifically petrol, explosives, napalm.
    Civilian causalties would be treated on a "The needs of the many outweight the needs of the one" basis, and as such would be acknowledged and dealt with.
    Once that scenario is esablished, it's all over for the Zombies.

a lot of 3rd world countries have not got plans in place (nor the manpower) to handle biological threats, evacuate entire cities, etc.

As for whether they'd shoot you: That would depend strongly on the area they find you in, as well as how you look and behave.
    Assuming slow moving, dumb zombies, i reckon it's safe to say that you should start screaming intelligent language the moment you see soldiers aiming guns at you. And hope that they decide to give you the chance of being unbitten and uninfected. Being blood smeared and tired, then freezing up probably won't do much to save you.
    How would they handle you weilding a gun - probably pretty well, provided that the apocalypse has been going for long enough to warrant looting, raiding, stealing, etc. i.e. at least 24 hours.
    if they crush it before that, well - best use a baseball bet first... then switch to guns. ;)

that's my opinion, anyway.

12. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

One of these
    [​IMG]
    and if I can't get the above, this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Apr 2010
  13. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

The UN would probably just set up a trade embargo :D

Technically there is no gun show loophole as private sales are still required to prove that you meet the same requirements as you would at a dealer. The fact that a lot of private sales don't ask for you to fill out an affadavit saying your not a criminal, asking for a form of identification (ie drivers license) is just shifting legal liability to the seller.

P90s aren't terribly difficult to find Stateside. The ammunition is different from a 5.56 x45 which is easily available, P90 ammo being 5.7x28 and only really manufactured from FN makes it kind of pricey here. Though if you were a handloader you could alter the cartridges yourself.

I think it depends largely on the size of the army, infection and country of infection. For example the United States with its 3 million active duty personnel scattered across the world, versus its 350 million population spread out over the entire country would struggle to brute for it. Whereas other countries with a more centralized military might be able to tackle it head on. Just my take.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

A P90 with select fire...

That should work out pretty well.

And as for the military, in the US, it wouldn't be too hard to contain a city or two. In the US, if one coast is infected, things will get...well they won't be pretty, but at the same time, containment in the US wouldn't be necessarily hard since once an entire city's zombified, the routes out of the city should be secured, coupled with the fact that there's HUGE distances between most cities and even suburbs, most if not all people are guaranteed safety for at least a few days if they're 10+ miles away. Zombies can't move too fast anyhow.

Anyone think it would be possible to modifiy a P90 to take 9mm or .45 ammo? And as for a shotgun, while pump would be nice, in reality, it jams like a mother unless really well maintained, and it takes quite a bit of strength to even pump it repeatedly. Bolt action on the other hand...that might just work.

There's one thing that I've always wondered, if zombies are basically primal creatures, that are in essence entirely decayed, how can they hear? Won't the ears have rotted out anyways?

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

This is why I feel very safe living by and working on a very large and well-equipped naval base (along with the other nearby naval station, naval air station, naval magazine, and airforce base) :D

As powerful and expansive as our military may be, it'll come down to protecting government/military assets first if there's a very large and rapid expansion that can't be effectively quarantined. I'd guess that even borders would get a lot of attention to stop all incoming and outgoing people to prevent further infection and maintain stability for the country. No matter what disaster happens, having a functioning government is top priority. My guess is all effort will go into protecting those who haven't been infected and holding ground on fortified areas, rescues wouldn't happen until things calm down days or maybe weeks later. Many parts of the country would find themselves largely abandoned unless they have a large government presence, even if they have a higher population.

Like you said, more compact (and isolated!) countries like the UK might fare a little better. being an island, what happens there stays there. Much higher population density may mean faster spreading infection, but it also means a much easier quarantine and many more people can be saved per square mile of land protected. Less land needed to be protected means faster reaction to outbreaks and less total guards needed, both would be nice. Japan would also be a similar situation, but their survival percentage would also depend pretty heavily on what happens in Tokyo. Reaching such density in such small area could make infections spread too fast to ever be combated, even with the faster reaction times of military personnel.

16. Elton

In Tokyo though, the easiest thing to do would be to hide out on one of the nearby islands...I mean it shouldn't be too hard to find a boat.

If not that bullet train will save lives.

17. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Why do I get pictures in my head of a train MOWING down zombies? :lol:

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Or even hide out on the boat out at sea. Depending on the level of intelligence these zombies have Toyko-ites might even be able to just barricade a stairwell and live on the 2nd or higher floors until the Japanese military clears out the streets and ground floors. Second advantage is that if someone in those buildings gets infected they are all locked in a cage already! I just worry about what might happen in poorer districts, which goes for all cities. Skyscrapers may make for a high population per square unit, poor areas have a high population per cubic unit. Aka, they're not just cramped, they're all cramped on the ground with no option to simply go up, often too poor of architecture to barricade on ground level, and often consist of many smaller buildings so the option of a community of survivors working together isn't available. On top of all that, they'd probably get the least attention for rescue. They might even get quarantined right at the start just out of discrimination and fear.

19. Elton

Because I did too.

The poorer districts will definitively suffer the most since apathy for them will be paramount. With that said, there aren't a large amount of weapons in tokyo, so that might not work out so well.

20. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation