1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Parliament passes Digital Economy Bill

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 8 Apr 2010.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

With opposition the lib dems have i don't see how they can fail to loose the next election.

3. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Ah fair enough, I missunderstood you. Still I like it as as a generic statement to the reader, albeit it's fairly redundent.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Either that room is HUGE or there were very few people there... being the last one a ridiculous statement...

5. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

And that is the people who woted against.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

this is from the commonsleader.gov.uk website

•creating a robust legal and regulatory framework to combat illegal file sharing and other forms of online copyright infringement and give Ofcom a specific new responsibility to significantly reduce this practice, including two specific obligations on Internet Service Providers: the notification of unlawful activity and, for alleged serial-infringers, collation of data to allow rights holders to obtain court orders to force the release of personal details, enabling legal action to be taken against them;

7. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

+1 Although they won mine a long time ago. You should check out some of their other policies.

+1. The vast majority of british people are decent, law-abiding and hard-working, regardless what the media (or politicians) will have you think. This law is about giving powerful people the power to cut people of the internet. And the question is, how would you know if they were abusing it? The internet is one of the last bastions of free speech - without being able to access it, how are people who have been wrongfully cut off supposed to get the word out? This is essentially gagging-order legislation without any requirement for proof.

It may not be as unfeasible as you think. China is nearly there. Are you suggesting that if this was feasible it would be ok? Feasibility does not come into it.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

anyone read the Digital Britain white paper it makes interesting reading, and does have relevance to this discussion

read chapter 4, protecting, and rewarding creativity

9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow.. sorry to hear you folks across the pond got screwed :-/ ... I hope you all remember this and vote the assenting politicians out of office next time they're up for reelection ... (sadly most people's memory is short)

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I found this quite funny. In a depressing way.

[​IMG]

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

intellectual property address, lol

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

in laymans terms this is how it is supposed to work.

copyright holder finds out someone at 87.67.98.234 is downloading copyright material, copyright holder informs isp (say virgin), virgin sends cease and desist letter to person who had that ip address on date given by copyright holder.

the person at that ip address continues, isp is informed again, the person gets another letter, with threats to limit speeds, etc

they continue, again they are reported to isp, third letter, informing that speed is being limited

the copyright holder notices again, that ip address is continuing to download, so they apply to court for court order for information relating to that ip address

then it is up to copyright holder to prove that that person, is downloading copyright material, illegally. this would be done by getting court order to search premises for illegal content.

just as a side note, most peeps have a dynamic ip address, which means it could change on a regular basis, but all isps keep a record of what ip address is assigned to which account, and when.

the copyright holder would pass on all ip addresses it has seen, it is then up to the isp to match ip addresses to accounts, and then send out letters accordingly

it is only serial offenders that will eventually be prosecuted/cut off, the aim of the legislation, is to reduce piracy, and apparently, studies have shown that many pirates, stop after first or second letter.

the copyright holder would only be given details of an offender after getting a court order after the 3 letters from the isp.

13. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

There has still yet to be shown any serious proof that piracy is actually causing damage to the industry's, the ridiculous suggestion from those industry's that 1 downloaded file = 1 lost sale is so inaccurate it's laughable.
    Several sources have shown that people who pirate actually spend more.

Are we supposed to be scared of a possible speed restriction? given that for a lot of us throttling is a daily possibility.

The whole thing is a bloody joke, made up by a bunch of people who have no clue as to what their on about.
    Next thing you know they'll be trying to nationalize the internet, to turn it into the next British rail or British telecom, British internet god help us!

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

If i kill Mandleson, whos going to come and support me in court?

15. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

Social Democracy at it's best. Punish the masses for the violations of the few. Crappy bandwidth for all! Boy isn't it great when the government decides what best for you without even asking. Is this where we are all headed a China like elitist run nanny government managing a pseudo free market?

16. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

For me, the worst part of the anti-piracy actions taken by the bill is that they doesn't actually do much to protect the rights of artists, they are still the b****es of the record companies so in reality all the bill protects is the right of corporations to make sickening profits while screwing over both the producers and consumers of music.

To everyone associating this with Social Democracy / China don't be so stupid, this is capitalism at its worst. Good show Labour.

17. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I'll bring some cake, but only if you do the same when I've macheted Swedens own little IP nazi.

Sorry to hear about this guys, truly :worried:

18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

to be honest it doesn't matter if 1 pirate copy = the loss of 10 sales, the fact is by pirating, you are stealing someones creation which has an automatic copyright protection. agree with it or not theft is theft.

in reality, if the content creator was able to sell the content, at a more affordable price, they would probably make as much money as they do with less sales and a higher price, but then there will always be those who think its ok to take someone elses property and not pay for it

19. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Oh jeez... let's not have this debate here, but copyright infringement is not theft. That's why it's called "copyright infringement", not "theft". Theft deprives the owner of their copy.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

It's impossible to avoid seeing copyrighted images / content on the web. Go ahead, go on youtube and watch a music video.

Congratulations, you're a pirate.

Tags: Add Tags