1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building a new PC on a high budget, (Epicly long post...)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toploaded, 28 Mar 2010.

1. masterjonny

masterjonny What's a Dremel?

What I've found is it depends on case manufacturer. Look for a common colour between all the connectors, if that common is black, then black is negative, other is positive. Or if every connector has a red, red is positive, and not red is negative.

If that makes sense :)

2. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Most of the time white or black will indeed be the 'negative'. As a side note, the ONLY header you HAVE to have the polarity correct on, are the LEDs. The Case Speaker (if it has one), the HDD LED, and the Power LED. The power switch, reset switch, and any other switches are indifferent as to how they're installed.

As for wishing you had someone else do it for you, DON'T SAY THAT! Remember the feeling of accomplishment I talked about in my thread? It's coming. :)

Usually the colored wires are positives is what I've found.

3. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

It lives!!!! woot :)

Although I'll not truly relax until it's running for a while and windows is installed okay.

What kind of panics me right now is this water cooler, like, I just kinda have to take it's word for it that it's doing anything :S at least with a fan, I can see it, hear it, keeping my 230 quid CPU cool lol.

My wiring is a mess, I will have to get some extension cables and go back and redo it for sure.

4. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Where are the pics??

Glad it's up and running... If you want to make sure that pump's working, check the RPM of it with a program like Speedfan when you get Windows installed. My shows 1435RPM's right now.

5. Toploaded

Okay cool thanks.

Pics tomorrow for sure, when it's done, I've been taking a few as I go along. I think tonight I'll get as far as getting windows on there then I'll pick it back up tomorrow. You will be disgusted with my first wiring attempt :p but I'll revisit that soon. With a case like this I'm sure the airflow will survive..

6. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

• To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).

So for him adding another 2 monitors, assuming they don't have native display port he would need an active adaptor right? For just 2 monitors on their own he doesn't.

7. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Goes against what I heard, but you may be right. The monitor he went with has display port regardless though.

8. Toploaded

Well I moved the beast to my bedroom now, damn it was heavy.

Anyway, I have alittle problem that makes little sense to me so figured I'd ask you before I send it back. The Wireless card that I got, for some reason the PC does not always see it when I turn it on. When I do, it sees it and it works perfectly for the entire time I'm in that session. However if I restart, then the pc will boot up and as far as its' considered there is no card there atall.

Although this is probably just a coincidence, it literally seems to be every other time I run the pc or restart it, it works.

All else is great though as far as I can tell, just I have no idea if it's a problem with the Mobo, wireless card, or drivers.

9. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Hmm... Never heard of anything having a problem like that. Did you check the device manager to see if it shows up after a restart? If it's not showing up, you might try a different PCI-E slot. If that doesn't fix it, may have to send it back.

If it IS showing up in the device manager, try doing a fresh install of the software from the D-Link site.

10. Toploaded

Yeah its' odd, it does not show up in the device manager when it's not detected, but almost literally every other time I boot the pc, it's there and working. Tried a different PCI slot, same deal. What gets me is that it works consistently fine when it does work, like, I left the pc on all last night downloading some steam games and it didn't cut out.

I'm just worried it might be something to do with the mobo, but then again, the gpu is working fine. Meh, shame it almost went perfectly :p It's tempting to ignore this and just keep rebooting the pc if it comes on without the card showing but It might be part of a bigger problem so I better hunt it down.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm glad to hear it went well :) I'm sure your machine doesn't take very long to boot, so it may just be worth living with it. It's odd, I've never come across it in my days as a IT Engineer. Most curious. Maybe poke the D-Link website, as it could be something simple :)

12. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Seems a few people have been having problems with the wireless card not showing up... Shame as every review I read online said it was a good card!

Here's a couple things to try...

1. 1.40 "firmware" (really just new drivers from D-Link), HERE.

2. Try the official Atheros drivers (the D-Link uses an Atheros chip), HERE

Not sure if either will fix the issue of it not showing up intermittently, but it's worth a try.

13. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Important Point :

(Not sure if this has been mentioned as ive only read a few of the pages)

CONSIDER RAID FOR DATA LOSS PREVENTION. Cant remember what raid type it is that mirrors the drive but if your working alot and dont want to loose work, then RAID'ing your data storage drives might be WELL worth it.

14. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

That would be RAID 1. He's already got it covered though. :)