1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple making smaller iPad?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 9 Apr 2010.

1. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

Couldn't agree with you more, but you just completely proved the point, we moved from CD's to MP3's because they're smaller, easier to transfer/move around, just generally better, and yeah ok, CD's are better quality, but it takes somebody with a good ear for detail to notice the difference between 320kb and a CD, let alone FLAC, etc.

So, going back to this iPiddy, its not better, its not easier, and its definately not cheaper, so therefore a waste of time, hell if something better than reading a book comes along, then i'm all game, but as you pointed out, nobody has got it right yet. Apple need to get away from the english tourist approach (say it again but louder (or bigger in apples case)) and realise that the size is not why we wont be rushing to the shops to read the next Harry Potter book on a big slab.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2010
  2. solori

solori What's a Dremel?

How about names like MaxiPod and MaxiPad for the two???

3. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

" A smaller ipad for those lighter days..." as stated by my IT department.

4. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

ROFLMAO!!

Not quite. if you go out for the weekend you will definitely be listening to several songs and most likely of very dissimilar genres, but that's not the case when reading. How many times have you read 15 books in one weekend? Or how many times have you gone out and said "oh, I'm dying to read Book X but I'm stuck with Book Y since it's the one I'm currently in the middle of and didn't think of bringing another one"? I seriously don't think that's a very common scenario.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

in other news, my original iPhone won't be able to join OS4 party. that's just stupid considering it's got exactly same hardware (except wireless radio) as the iPhone 3G.

Apple, producing revolutionary products by forcing people to buy resized products.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

+5

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

For those low flow days!

8. rollo

rollo Modder

iPhone and iPhone 3g have dif hardware

I dunno I carry a few books on holiday or business trips abroad

Would a kindle help depends on battery and wieght and viewing

If it strains eyes after 5mins not gonna work to well

as for ereaders replacing books I dout it, most people read to get away from technology and it's ilk, I know alot of people who read

and 0 want an kindle or any type of machine like it. Would take a major book release of harry potter sales level that is ebook only to really force any kind of shift I feel. They would also have to be priced alot cheaper than the books themselfs which authors won't e
    want. I just can't see kindle and it's ilk ever taking off

9. cc3d

cc3d It's a mod mod world

I already know many people that have kindles and use them a lot. Most of them would not care for an iPad. They have no use for it and it overcomplicates what they need. The iPad is VERY heavy and bulky compared to the Kindle.

My Mom is 74 and has a Kindle and loves it. If there were any more to the Kindle than the book reader, it would just complicate things for her.

My wife has a Kindle as well and is often reading it just before bed while holding it in one hand. This would not happen with the iPad. I had her try it with my iPad and she thought it was just too bulky for the same use.

I've had the iPad for a week and I am having a hard time finding a reason to keep it. I'd guess it's going on eBay by next Monday.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Apple = :sigh:

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

+6

The iBodyform's screen is just too reflective and the backlight too harsh to use it comfortably. Besides, I like books, I like browsing through bookshops (Borders RIP :(), you just don't get that browsing through iBooks or Amazon.

12. Passarinhuu

Passarinhuu I huffs cats

People find 720g heavy? Just try reading any medical book (3+ Kg) for 12 hours a day and then we'll talk. Let alone carrying three or four books of that kind from home to the library everyday...

I also study frequently on my laptop for hours and don't find reading with strong backlight any more tiring than reading a normal book for hours. I guess it all depends on what people are used to...

Cheers

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Honest question, can you actually get those books on an ebook reader? Educational purposes seem to be a selling point for ebooks, but I have to question how easy it would be to find copies of specific books that instructors might require.

Most people will just want to read novels, though. Some research put a 300 page 6"x9" book at 441g. Pretty reasonable to expect your multi-hundred dollar reader to weight less.

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Regardless of size, I'm tired of hearing about all iPads

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

More like the ultimate ********'o'matic. Who gives a damn?

16. WestHej

WestHej What's a Dremel?

Agreed,

Some medical books are absolute monsters (Anatomy! :(...), the iPad is nothing comapred to those. Even carrying 3 or 4 pocket sized versions is a hassle! I also spend a lot of time studying/reading an LCD screen and also don't seem to have any problems. Having a library of educational books on a fairly portable device such as the iPad seems like a good idea to me. Of course we are exceptions and the majority of people will find staring at a screen for extended periods of time hard to manage.

Ideally they'll be a screen out there which can be both vibrant and subtle on the eye. I'm hoping microsoft can pull this one off with the Courier. With the scrapbook kind of interface + eBooks, making notes will be an absolute sinch!

17. jayprime

jayprime What's a Dremel?

Ever been on holiday?
    Ever taken any books with you?
    How much space do half a dozen novels take up in your suitcase?
    How much of your precious luggage allowance do the take?
    My Sony eReader goes in my jacket pocket and with books loaded onto 4Gb SD cards I can take literally hundreds of books with me! I can decide, when I get there, which books to read, rather than being restricted to just those 'paper' books I thought to take with me.

18. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

But can it make phone calls?

19. Vakuum

Vakuum What's a Dremel?

The iPhd, smaller than the pad but larger than the pod..

20. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

will it run crysis? ( is there a crysis app?)

as much as i had no idea what the use of the iPad was, i have even less of an idea what the use of this new gimmick is...

Tags: Add Tags