1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The government is as clueless as the music industry about the Internet

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 10 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Mod: Fixed, thx!

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Apr 2010
  3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

its ridiculous isn't it?

The fact that they went against the recommendations of expert reports in places as well makes a mockery of even having those reports done in the first place! Oh well, nothing new there...

the treasury has advised against many thing GB has pushed through regardless. And that is ignoring accountants pointing out flaws in many of the taxes he introduced as chancellor. This is meant as an explanation of my comment above, and I do not mean it to spark off a tangential debate.

4. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

I hear only 170 of the 640 MP's where present for this, obviously non of the politicians care.

there should be a law against such a low number of MP's passing ANY bill as all it shows is the majority of them are not interested.

if they where interested. there would have been more than 25% in attendance.

its a farce.

5. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

So when is bit-tech going to rise to power?

I mean we can do it. We've had evil games teaching us how to kill people all our lives.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

No shock this went through

If you pirate music beware as everything will attempt to aquire you

7. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

"The severe lack of knowledgeable on behalf of most MPs"

Beginning of 5th paragraph

8. dec

dec [blank space]

is youtube considered piracy?

9. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Considering that google can be loosely classed as a torrent search engine if you use it the right way then YouTube probably is considered piracy by the copyright rats

10. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

"I salute those MPs who didn't turn up in protest"

I don't. It sounds noble on paper, but turning up and voting against the bill would have sent a much stronger message. Saying they aren't turning up as a protest is really just a cop out because they are too apathetic to the issue and just want to garner favor.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the government here has been trying to net a lot of our best.. they'd at least have a group of guys who don't think an ip address relates to a airport bathroom

I dunno if you guys watch the apprentice over there.. but the corrupt governor of chicago (guy who tried to sell obamas senate seat after he was elected president) was on there for charity.. the guy is a total imbecile- he couldn't type or even turn on a laptop, he couldn't answer a freaking telephone! I mean how the hell do you become governor and be so technically illiterate

he could just spin words when he talked which made him look like a psychopath basically.. but that's the kinds of people we have in government running things.. they can run their hands under the bathroom stall for sex and talk a good game (well bush couldn't even do that)

but ask them what 9 divided by 3 is and you'll get a deer caught in the headlights

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Word. This is reminiscent of the downfall of the 1900's railroad and 1950's movie industry in the US. The former met its demise at the hand of motorways and air travel; the latter at the hand of television.

The problem was, as an economist astutely observed, that they forgot what business they were actually in. The railroad industry was not in the business of trains and track; it was in the business of transport. The movie industry was not in the business of film but in the business of entertainment. But they forgot that: they focused too much on how they did it than what it was they did, and got complacent. When their business came under threat by competitors they clung onto doing what they knew rather than learning to do what the customer wants.

The music and video industry is now facing the same problem. Instead of regarding piracy as a crime (or really, a competitor), they should see it as an expression of consumer demand; a market to get into and make money out of. But they have been successful in the past, and as Andy Grove from Intel says: success breeds pride; pride breeds arrogance; then complacency, then downfall. Only the paranoid survive.

The UK government is incompetent and corrupt. It rallies to the anxious bleating of big industry and it does so in the most stupid way possible. Moreover they are old. They don't grok the internet or technology; they are reminiscent of the old male misogynist dinosaur Tories of the 70's resisting removing VAT on feminine hygiene products because (in the words of one idiot) "soap and water suffice".

6th May, people. Vote wisely.

Fizzban likes this.
  13. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

my larger worry is how many things other than this are being passed through where the MPs have no idea of what is actually going on

**** them!!

14. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

lol. Parliament is supreme. It can pass and 'unpass' any law they like. That's the way it works in the UK. Of course I'm actually ignoring the role of the Sovereign but I really can't be arsed.

15. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Is it just me that sees the contradiction here? iTunes has clearly proved incredibly popular.

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It has, but a hell of a lot more music has been downloaded using file sharing and that's before you take into account other legal sources too. iTunes is still far from all-encompassing.

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Has anyone seen the number of MP's in the house when they were debating the arguably more important finance bill? Its pathetic. Especially when they go on and on and on and on and on and on - not-really-getting-to-any-point....... and on etc.

One positive is that the parliament channel acts as a very good way to lull yourself to sleep - especially if you suffer from insomnia.

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

+1

19. webcider

webcider What's a Dremel?

So wouldn't it be possible to make a new party called the online party and crash the government :p

20. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Since you're all so frustrated about this I can only assume that you all lobbied your local MP's and expressed your concerns to ensure that they turned up and voted?

Hmmm, thought not.

I can't see any problem with this at all. It seems the geeks are just annoyed because they might actually have to pay for something!

Tags: Add Tags