1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia GTX460

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Teelzebub, 10 Apr 2010.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Hate to burst your nVidia bubble, but if ATi were genuinely concerned about Fermi competition then they would have a nice price drop ready for Fermi's release. As of yet, we've heard nothing about a price drop or a new card which kinda says they aren't really too worried. They know that the graphics card market over £300 gets smaller very quickly and most of the sales are in the areas where nVidia still haven't released new cards.

2. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

What concerns me about lower end dx11 cards is that they may have the grunt for current dx9 / dx10 titles but how good will they actually be when 'real' dx11 titles start showing...

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Well "real" DX10 games never really materialised, so I'm not really concerned about that :)

4. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

Thats what got me worried, ive just dropped a ton of cash on a new 5850, which im very happy with btw as it boots the snot out of all my games at 1080p. Will it be like the first generation of dx10 cards, awesome at current dx but terrible at the next level.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't worry about a hypothetical tbh. The games industry never really got behind DX10 and after that fiasco, I bet many devs are cautious. DX11 is still very new so its going to be a looong time before anyone wants to make a DX11 only game.

6. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

I'm just happy to see more choice for the consumer.

The 460 may be more overclockable due to less heat but I don't think they will meet the nice cool and quiet 5770. It may also allow for SLI. If they have 256 'CUDA' cores then two will provide the full taste of what Fermi was meant to be!

Oh, a word of warning Rollo has a awful habit of making people hate nvidia and getting banned from forums; remember he does NOT actually work/represent them. Don't feed him; He'll only put you off NV.

7. nRollo

nRollo NVIDIA Focus Group

Hate to burst your bubble, but it could be that ATi is actually wisely monitoring their own sales before lowering prices to compete.

Business decisions aren't made like "Our competitor's product might sell well, we better start making less money in case they do". Business decisions are made like " Our sales for the last month have dropped 40% since the launch of our competitor's new product. Based on historical data, we expect this trend to continue. We can reduce price to $X, $Y, or $Z with A, B, and C as expected shift in demand curve and resulting margin per unit 1,2, 3. Or we can offer a mail in rebate $X to offer incentive to purchase our product and use the lag time to invest the continued sales revenue in investment vehicle X to and earn $Y/dollar to defray the revenue lost on rebates." Etc,

Like many people, you assume companies operate like individuals. Big corps have to be much more thorough in their educated guesses as to market direction, projected sales, and margins. Companies have only one responsibility- to make money for the stock holders. "Worried" and other emotional responses have nothing to do with the equation.

BTW- in the states people were buying GTX470s and 480s all last week. OEMs got some out in advance of the slower shipping methods. I saw people on several forums buying them, and wanting to.

8. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

Wont we be tied to the dx10 until the major console support DX11? Are we going to to see no real improvement to engines until xbox 720 and the playstation 4 come out?

9. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

pretty sure its only dx9 - the Xenos chip in the xbox 360 is related to the R500 GPU (ie X1900), whereas the PS3 chip is based off the geforce 7800.

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Interesting statement are you saying he gets banned or he gets other people banned?.

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

unfotunately, being a tool doesn't get you banned, so he probably gets others banned...

12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

fanboys only hurt themselves so just let them get on with it.

on topic: the only way i can see the 460 succeed is if its priced sub £200 but performs close to the 5850, assuming it doesnt run crazily hot! id like to see reviews of the production bios to see how difference it makes.

13. Teelzebub

Yeh I waiting to see what the 460 will bring, I'm in no rush to spend me money in either camp atm , But I'm sure I will hear more about the GTX460 soon and there is only a little over 6 weeks till the release.

14. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

I really hope the GTX460 results in price drops for the 5850 and 5770. These cards are not really priced well.

15. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I disagree there. The 5770 has lower power consumption, 3 monitor support and is pretty cheap, around £117. Considering it has the performance of a 260 GTX, which is still being sold for about £140-£150 new, I think its pretty well priced.

16. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

*pop* Sorry mate you've just shot yourself in the foot; Fermi's been out for about 2 weeks now? We've done a poll and of over 200 people 45 of them waited for Fermi and bought a 5870, a measly 10 of them bought a Fermi card, and these are enthusiasts, people who know they're stuff, tbh Fermi's only chance is to deal wim OEMs like you said above but they're not stupid either, if 5870s offer better performance to price ratio they'll be more inclined using them in they're system, so enthusiasts arn't buying them and neither or those who know nothing about computers and just buy a DELL or HP and don't even think about the parts in they're computer. I'm sorry but NVIDIA is going to have to produce a technological miracle if they want to pull level with ATI

17. Teelzebub

Last edited: 16 Apr 2010
  18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, the GF104 (on which the GTX460 will be based) is half the GF100. Even if the price is at around the same level as a 5850 performance surely is not. The bigger question is how power hungry and noisy it'll be.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why did they half GF100? that would mean it is in 5830's territory (GF100 is faster than Cypress, half of Cypress is 5770, 5830 is tiny bit faster than 5770)

20. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

No reference design = 5830 as does half the specs ...only this will be at the 5850 price point! Not good.