1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: No Intel chipset with USB 3 until 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Well that sucks!

I'd much rather have everything in one chipset rather than several others. I know Windows is good at getting drivers these days, but there are power usage and cost issues too.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

:/ There goes my update planned for 2011... lol... If Intel is launching a new high-end I expect it to have all the "newest" features in the market... oh well...

Last edited: 13 Apr 2010
  4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Guess thats another reason for the new socket rumour on the x68 platform. How come if AMD can do it but intel can't? While 6Gbps isn't essential for everyone USB3 is far more useful.

5. amdavies

amdavies What's a Dremel?

Isn't it virtually certain that Intel will be pushing their own Light Peak, rather than USB 3 which competes directly with it ?

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Asus U3S6 anyone?

PCIe bridge chip to convert 4x PCIe 1.1, no bottleneck and affordable :)

7. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

AMD doesn't have native USB 3.0... It uses a Nec PCI-e-USB3 controller... It's the same thing. I was just expecting that by 2011 USB3.0 would be "inside" the NB/SB... not in another chip

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Doubt it. People want backwards compatibility. Remember what happened when Intel tried to force RDRAM (Rambus) on people.

9. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Have to agree with the aboveif the try to push through Light Peak and no other option they'll fail. No company or buisness is going to buy a system that makes all their USB devices redundant.

10. pjl321

pjl321 What's a Dremel?

One of the most important things for USB3 is a memory card reader but I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know of one?

Compact Flash cards are going past 100mb/s now and I am sure SD cards are being held back a fair bit by USB2 as i can't get much more than 22mb/s out of my card.

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm sure MB manufacturers will just use third party solutions as your article states. I think it's a bit cynical of you however to assume they'll try to shoehorn it down a x1 PCI-E lane. Just because one manufacturer did very early on to no doubt rush a board to market doesn't mean all will. I'm sure there will be some killer boards over the next couple of years that feature decent USB3.0 support via third party solutions that use a X4 PCI solution.

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Ok I'm officially fine with richard being moving away, if we get news like this it's well worth him being away :D

13. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

I dont mind not having USB 3, but not having SATA 3.0 seriously hinder the progression of SSD. I think Computer makers need to start thinking about PCI-E based bootable SSD drive.

14. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

PCI-e based SSD's are bootable already....

15. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

+1 This is a viable solution. Thankfully my rig is still up and running and here's hoping it stays that way until some board comes with every new feature announce nowadays.

16. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Who needs USB 3 anyway? It's got a sucky (not BC with USB 2), short (max 3 meter) cable which is hugely inflexible due to having double the number of conductors inside compared to USB 2. The mini USB 3 connector is also worthless due to being twice as large as the USB 2 version, making it useless for portable and smaller devices.

Flash USB sticks are limited to speeds far below that of USB 2, and for external HDDs we got both FireWire and eSATA as faster alternatives. I honestly can't think of a single device I would get the USB 3 version of.

Light Peak should be smaller, faster and still support USB 3 protocol as it's just a carrier. I am actually looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Tags: Add Tags