1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming iPad Games Reviewed: Is it Good For Gaming?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 15 Apr 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Can I borrow it?

3. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Fixed that for you. ;)

I don't think I'll ever use an iPad, too much of a novelty for me to be honest. I'll see what I think when we get one in at work.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

who would buy an iPad for gaming?

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I bought an iPhone over any other model for it's games capability, I like to be on top of games where I can and it ended up replacing my DS and PSP.

But then also the iPhone has phone, web, email etc making it a better investment

6. leveller

Can I borrow it please ... NOW!

Those that want to game on it? Maybe?

7. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

You neglected to mention how complete this particular version of the Plants vs. Zombies game is. My biggest gripe with the iPhone app was its lack of the additional modes (Zen Garden, Puzzle, Survival, Mini-Games) available in the PC version; it's essentially just the full Adventure mode with the option to Quick Play any of the levels after you beat it. It's fine for killing some time or if you've never played the game before, but serious veterans of the PC version will be quickly bored since most of the replayability is lost.

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Why were you using your thumbs in landscape mode? When in portrait, use thumbs, when in landscape, use both hands or one hand. I was able to get a comfortable 60-70WPM using it with both hands on my lap.

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Plants vs Zombies graphics, look the same as the pc version in the screenshots. I think an ion netbook would be a better gaming machine than the iPad.... actually my non ion netbook is probably better than iPad for gaming, I can happily play GTA San Andreas, Halo, Plants Vs Zombies, Audiosurf, Starcraft, Lego Starwars 1&2 + Indiana Jones. Plus hundreds if not thousands of other great games. Oh and i have a lot more storage space than an iPad to store it all on too !

10. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

I find iPhone games either have horrible controls, or are just too casual. PSP and DS games on the other hand give you much more gameplay with much more logical controls.

Controls can be blamed on the screen size... thumbs take up most of the screen, but I haven't seen any of the non casual games that use thumbs ported over to the larger iPads screen yet.

Do this again when games like CoD and EAs iphone catalogue are ported properly and I might take the thing seriously. iPad RTS's might actually be interesting, rather than the hideous mess they are on the iphone.

Otherwise I'll treat iPad gamers as the same kind of people who play browser based flash games and call themselves 'Gamers'.

11. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Think Id stick to a laptop, but it does look like a gorgeous device.

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

You guys say you prefer the PSP or DS to gaming, but if you buy say about 6/7 games on the DS or PSP you have come up to the price of an iPad, as the most expensive games on the iPad are around £6 and very easy to access and buy whenever you want. Most expensive PSP or DS games are £30, and you have to either go to the shops, or wait for it to be delivered before you can play it.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Plants vs Zombies cheese_cake!

if it wasn't for the lack of purpose to use this device, it'd be a really nice gaming platform. but where do you game with it? at home when console/PC is near by? on the train, but how do you carry it?

im sorry, i don't get this shiny bit of tech. netbook replacement you say? but no keyboard and no way to run off the shelf x86 programs kills its usefulness.

14. leveller

BT Staffers, when are you writing up the full review of the iPad? Would be interesting reading.

15. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Design of having a very portable device with such a huge exposed screen worries me - so easy to break it. The microsoft clamshell book style slate makes a bit more sense imo - at least it folds in half protecting the screen when not in use.

16. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

LOL, we've *literally* just had this debate in the office! We've got another couple of pieces in the pipeline - one on using the iPad as a reading device... an overall review, possibly, I just thought everyone might be iPadded out .

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Think most still want one and that's the way of the apple machine

Still waiting on uk cost before the definite yeh or neh comes in

18. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

eh? and wut?

19. leveller

I wonder if you could get out a reading (books, mags, social apps) and video (TV shows, movies, YouTube app etc) sub-reviews and then the overall conclusion?

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Who on earth pays £30 for PSP or DS games? Given that most of the latest PSP titles can now be downloaded (I don't know the situation with the DS) your last point is only of partial relevance.

You have a point in the sense that the games on the iphone/Touch/Sanitry towel are good value although you could argue that the games on the handheld consoles are also superior (GT:Mobile vs Real Racing for example).

Tags: Add Tags