1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I praise the device i.e the hardware. I dislike some of the choices in software, and I dislike the way the company does business. Surely the concept of not doing business with a company whose ethics you find objectionable isn't a new one? Ethical banking, anyone?

Btw: I'm pretty sure apple is not more mainstream and better known than intel and microsoft.

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

You'd say more people have heard of Intel, then they have heard of Apple? And I was only meant to imply Apple was more mainstream and well known than Intel, not Windows >.<.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nice analogy. I like. :)

Saw the iPhone OS 4.0 keynote, by the way, and it looks slicker than a greased eel in a bucket of snake oil. You have to admit it is clever: the OS goodies like multitasking and threaded e-mails are well-implemented (and two Exchange accounts! Yay!); the media delivery system is smooth (the choice of "Winnie the Pooh" as a free e-book is clever! You can just imagine thousands of parents handing their iPhone/iPod Touch or iPad to their little kids to show it and thus automatically priming the next consumer generation for Stevie. That man thinks ahead... ) and iAd is a mountain of solid gold just waiting for a pickaxe. The Game Center is a straight competitor to Windows X-Box Live.

As I said: this is going to be a big success. The guy plans far ahead; he thinks about how the user uses the product and how to embed it in people's lives. He doesn't think in products; he thinks in strategy. Steve Jobs is an evil genius ("What shall we do tonight? What we do every night, Pinky...").

Meanwhile, another review of the JooJoo Tablet, based on the Atom and nVidia Ion chipset. Basically, it fails. Flash performance is so bad you might as well not have it; battery life gets halved to 2.5 hours in using it.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2010
  4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

And what a name..... I thinked It was a Sanitary Tampon like Tampax

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

welcome 4 months ago

6. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Perfect avatar for such a reply :D

-I have to admit I'm quite tempted by an ipad. Now multitasking isn't a problem, all they really need to solve is flash support. Might wait to see what sort of apps become available. The smaller ipad rumour sounds interesting, though surely a smaller ipad is just a iphone?

7. Nexxo

Flash support seems to be a problem even for the tablets that have it. Battery-sucking, slow performance. I was really surprised to see how badly the nVidia Ion platform performed. Perhaps Apple made a considered choice to exclude it.

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Adobe really needs to pull it's finger out on this one. Flash is usually pretty decent on the n900 but we really need HW acceleration to make the most of it.

9. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I can't see flash getting added and tbh I won't miss it. I never play the flash games anymore, stopped playing them years ago. Most flash I ever see is usually advertising ... wow really gonna miss that :eyebrow:

HTML5 is a good standard with plenty of features. Adobe can kiss my ass. I hate buggy flash content. I hate the constant update BS that Adobe insists we have, usually it just checks for legit versions of their software anyways ... bye Adobe :clap:

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

If only it were that simple. Unfortunately, the vast majority of websites hosting any sort of (embedded) video use flash to do it. While I would dearly love to see them move to HTML 5, until they do, flash is still a big player.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm in Las Vegas this week at the National Association of Broadcasters convention, and in one of our meetings this morning, we were talking about video codecs - then, now, and future. From what I'm told, although Chrome and Safari will fully support HTML5, Microsoft does not plan to add video playback using HTML5 in the next iteration of IE (something about HTML5 competing with Microsoft's Silverlight solution).

If true, it will force content creators to stay with a more universally accepted video format, or at least attempt to cover as much of the market as possible.

As h.264 gains further ground in the web-video codec war, the job for content creators could become easier. Just about all the major video players support the h.264 codec (or will in the near future); it just becomes a matter of which wrapper file you place around it. As one content management company explained, content creators can host a single h.246-encoded video file, and browsers can either utilize a flash player, or institute a Java-based solution to strip out the header and read the fully supported transport stream within the wrapper (much like VLC Player).

12. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Surely that would fall afoul of anti-competitive legislation (Particularly in the EU)?

13. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

I don't think so. By NOT including a feature, that's simply something that can be explained by lack of time or resources to include it. By including a feature that locks consumers into your product (silverlight, for example), that IS anti-competitive. However, since there are so many "standards" that aren't... uhh... standard that it'd be ridiculous to force people to include every one of them.

I quite like the fact that Apple aren't supporting flash with the iPad. I don't use Apple products, so it doesn't harm me, but it's forcing web developers interested in appealing to the Apple market to use a more open standard, such as HTML5, which can only be good for the industry.

14. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Lol, I wonder if they'll include that tidbit of information on the browser choice screen in the eu. I can just imagine: "Internet Explorer, we don't support standard HTML5 video, you'll have to download Silverlight for that!"

That being said I doubt many people would notice or know why they should care.

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

16. Nexxo

The iPad is going to become incredibly popular, regardless of how you feel about the device... as such iPad specific versions of websites, exploiting its touch-screen input will follow. Just as happened with the iPhone (and other mobile browsers), already many websites are creating iPad-specific versions of their web pages without Flash content but with added HTML5. Following that move, the next logical step will inevitably be to just ditch Flash and use HTML5 for all versions of their website.

Microsoft may stubbornly stick to Silverlight but it will be the only company doing so. Once everyone moves to HTML5 to join the iPad bandwagon, IE will have to follow because otherwise there are some really good browser alternatives out there.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Or is it somewhat the other way around? Heavily hyped and famous (though not exactly popular) product -> website offers changes to be progressive and cutting edge -> users buy product seeing it is supported by such a progressive and cutting edge site and therefore must be something they should have as well. If a trendy and powerful site like Twitter decides to specifically support a product then have no doubt: it will sell.

The demographic that follows such a train of thought is, for better or worse, a sizable portion of the market for Apple and most mobile device manufacturers. All it takes is a little fame and a little capital, Apple has plenty of both. Not just about making your product appealling anymore, rather about making your product look like everyone already has one even on the day of release.

18. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know why it only takes a weird size sim card, is there any reason for it apart from bringing in more money?

19. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

20. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That has to be via remote desktop. Right? :worried: