1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safely dehydrated?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Ryu_ookami, 17 Apr 2010.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

OK, This may sound insane to those of you who know anything about medicine but what I would like to know is if there is a safe way to be dehydrated for a decent length of time?

I'll give you some more information and then you can tell me if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

About 2 years ago I injured my back to such an extent that I required walking sticks to get around. I've no idea how I injured my back I just know that I woke up one morning and couldn't move and that the doctor insisted that I go onto painkillers and see a physiotherapist on a regular basis.

Now comes the good news about ten weeks ago I woke up and there was almost no pain I was able to move my back reasonably pain free. So I stopped taking the painkillers as the doctor said however over the past 2 years I've put on a lot of weight, not all of it fat as for some reason since stopping the tablets my body is retaining fluid to such an extant that my ankles are the same size as my calf now I'm going to be trying exercise et to get rid of the extra weight but I was wondering if its possible to dehydrate myself in such a way that it gets rid of the excess fluid that my body is carrying in a safe manner.

The doctor said that the fluid retention is a side effect of the tablets but wasn't able to suggest any way of getting rid of it other than "Gentle exercise" and to be far that might help in the long term but I want to get rid of it as fast as possible so any ideas?

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Follow your doctors advice. Dehydration is not something to have a laugh about. It can get very serious very quickly. The excess fluid will most likely disappear as your body gets used to not taking painkillers anymore.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You cannot get rid of excess fluids by dehydration. In fact, dehydration can be a cause of water retention and will make it worse.

Water retention is not due to too much fluids; it is due to your body is not being able to get rid of it efficiently. Dehydration is not going to magically fix that. That logic is similar to trying to fix an exhaust problem by starving your engine of petrol.

Follow your doctor's advice. Exercise gently, eat healthily, drink the normal healthy amounts of fluids and have a bit of patience --it will all pan out in the end.

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Those little packets of desiccant silica... the ones that say do not eat... it's just a government conspiracy to make you keep your canckles!

Prime and mjm25 like this.
  5. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Don't...:nono:

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Research water tablets. When I visited my mum in hospital recently, the woman next to her had a problem with water retention and swollen ankles and legs. She was being given water tablets and resting her legs and ankles in a horizontal position.

7. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

If it was the medication that was causing the water retention, just wait it out. It may start to go away since you've stopped the medication. You could reduce your salt intake and that would also help. Dehydration is not the answer to your swollen ankles though. Drink water when you're thirsty, and stay away from soft drinks (they'll make you thirstier because they have a lot of salt in them). Nexxo is definitely right on the money.

If you do start feeling back pain again, I might suggest seeing a chiropractor rather than taking pain killers. They will be able to tell you why your back is hurting and help you fix the problem rather than masking the pain.

8. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

You might try sleeping with your ankles raised slightly. Are you sure you're not pregnant? pregnant women get back pain and swollen ankles :worried::p

Moriquendi

9. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I'm pretty sure 'water tables' are just diuretics :confused: but you could always try a big syringe straight into your ankle :p

Seriously though, just stick to the gentle exercise, the body has a good habit of sorting these kinds of things out on its own.

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

thats great.. so no more back pain? wonder what that was all about

gl on staying fit.. next thing you know we'll see you on a p90x commercial

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the last time I was seriously dehydrated, it was 42°C (107°F) outside and I was freezing like hell, shivering

You don't want to try that, it will be worse than your back (okay, maybe not, but unlike your back, this could kill you)

12. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Water tablets are things that contain herbs like Boldo and Dandelion extracts. They are diuretics and increase the amount you wizz out. Some work better than others, but the easiest way to reduce oedema is just drink more water, once the body sees more water coming in, it is less likely to want to hold onto it (camel effect if you like).

Prescription diuretics are things like Frusemide (brand name Lasix, cos it lasts six hours) and they can lead to all kinds of problems like severe cramps if abused, as some athletes do.

Stored water can appear just like fat (under the skin) and make you bloated. Don't confuse with water stored intramuscularly (in the muscles) that is different.

Also Aldosterone the hormone involved in sodium regulation also plays a part. High sodium diets lead to more water retention.

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

If your having problems with fluid causing swelling in your feet/ankles try sleeping with them raised on a pillow. By gentle exercise your muscles and movement is helping move the fluid round your body. My brother has this problem since hes in a wheelchair. Fluid builds up in his feet and since he can't walk raising his feet is the best he can do. I don't mean it as a substitue for exercise either, more as something extra to do to aid the process.