1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Will you be buying a GTX 480?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moyo2k, 27 Mar 2010.

?

Will you be buying the GTX480?

Poll closed 6 Apr 2010.
  1. Yes

4.2%
  2. Yes, if the future drivers boost the performance

4.7%
  3. No, it's too expensive/hot/power hungry

33.8%
  4. No, I've been waiting for Fermi and now I'll buy a 5870

21.1%
  5. No, I'll stick with my old card for a while yet

36.2%
  1. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Wait, so lemme get this straight, even though YOU said yourself that the GTX480 and the 5850 arn't comparably you went ahead and compared them anyway, and not only that - you went ahead to say the GTX 480 is superior in performance and ignored the price difference, something I'm fairly certain didn't need pointing out

I'm sorry mate but Ph4zed is right, biased stooge IS biased

2. nRollo

nRollo NVIDIA Focus Group

Hmm, well I wouldn't want to be a "biased stooge" so how about you show me how to answer the question in a "non biased" fashion?

The OP is "Will you be buying a GTX480?". To me, this says the topic of the thread is GTX480s. (since it asks if "you" will buy a "GTX480") Am I wrong in that GTX480 discussion is appropriate in threads that ask if you will buy one? Or should I have discussed 5850 CF perhaps? Don't want to be biased- so in the 5850 CF threads, is that the place to discuss GTX480s?

Now, the person I replied to said:
    He said "I won't buy a GTX480, I have a 5850 that is preferable due to power, cost, and heat considerations", and tacked on his performance in future DX11 games should be "awesomesauce".

So bearing in mind the topic of the thread is buying GTX480s, and the person I was replying to said he has no reason to buy a GTX480 because he has a 5850, you don't think comparing the GTX480 and 5850 is reasonable?

How would you answer it?

"You're right Kris- the 5850, or maybe 5850 CF is the way to go for "awesomesauce" DX11. There might be some other cards, but to mention them would be off topic and biased. I think the OP of the thread meant to say "Will you be buying 5850 CF?" and made a typographical error."

Would that have been better?:confused:

3. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

If you read my opening post you would have seen that I asked if people would buy the GTX 480 AND why they would/wouldn't, if someone is simply saying I don't want a GTX 480 because I'm happy with my 5850 I don't see the problem, in all the above quotes your using all I see is some guy saying my 5850 fills my requirements for £200 and I'd have a 5850 CF over a GTX 480, I don't see a problem he's answering my question - why?

4. nRollo

Aren't discussions of the pros/cons of graphics cards, and information on user experience with them, what the Video Card forums are about?

In a thread titled "Will you be buying a GTX480?", I would say:

1. Someone responding "No I won't for reason X" is likely to get responses of alternative viewpoints.

2. Someone responding "Yes I will for reason Y" is likely to get responses of alternative viewpoints.

The thread title isn't "State if you will buy a GTX480, no discussion allowed".

5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

He has a point!

6. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

The Thread isn't called "Let's see how much hate any one person can get in just one thread" either but if it was you'd be winning atm -.-

And did you not think that alternative viewpoints is what I wanted, its a forum after all, discussion and all that

7. trig

trig god's little mistake

talk about awesomesauce! i went to a bbq place in arlington texas called bodacious bbq. their sauce truly is awesome...wait, what is the topic?

8. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

ITT: Nvidia Fanboys get embarrassed and defensive.

I won't be buying a GTX480 because there is no stock in my country. Also they cost more than an HD5970, which there is stock of (no joke, they actually do cost more and the GTX470 costs more than an HD5870).

I also have to add that my HD5850 is sufficient to play every game at high frame rates (at 1920x1200 and yes that includes DX10 and DX11 titles). If for some reason I wanted more then Crossfire does seem like the cheaper, less power hungry, cooler and a lot more powerful option.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

:yawn: I see the other one of these threads has been closed now, And this one's getting kinda tedious too maybe we should all get on with our live's now, If we ignore him he might go away although he is entitled to his opinion, Thats what freedom of speach is all about right? :yawn:

10. moorsey

moorsey What's a Dremel?

no nVidia for me, waited ages for a review, it turned out to be a flop, so just got a 5870! Not sure how much the lack of physx will effect the PC, but not read into that much

11. nRollo

Yep, it's pretty bad when NVIDIA can only produce a GPU that only runs 8X AA faster than the 5870 runs 4XAA, and is faster at DX11. Who would want that stuff when you can save enough money to buy a pack of gum on electricity every week, right?

12. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

As a long time user of NVIDIA cards since the RIVA TNT back in 1998 I was all set to buy a GTX 480, in fact I even pre-ordered one from Scan for £437. I was even ignoring all the negatives in the numerous reviews I'd read because, well, it was an NVIDIA card and it was faster than any single GPU offerings from ATI.

Thankfully, common sense prevailed and I realised that those temperatures and the power consumption were big issues for me so I opted for a Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X a couple of weeks ago. It's quiet, runs very cool and only required two 6-pin PCI-E connectors. While it certainly was my first choise and the lack of PhysX stings a bit as does the lack of customisable game profiles, I can't argue that the HD 5870 is far better value than the GTX 480. At least come the summer and those odd hot days we get here in the UK I know I'm not going to baking in extreme temperatures caused by the output from my graphics card! ;)

There's no doubt in mind that the Fermi is a nice chip but I'll only consider if if NVIDIA die-shrink it and release a model with the full 512 cores that doesn't run hot, isn't noisy and consumes more reasonable amounts of power. I suspect the GTX 580 might be that card....

13. nRollo

Out of curiosity, what do you pay for a KWh in E Yorkshire Dr. Hades? (I mean the energy cost alone, not the flat fees you pay whether you use power or not)

So you think that the additional 100W a GTX480 burns in running at load will heat up your room to "baking in extreme temperatures"? Does burning a 100W light bulb "bake" your room? How about running a 100-200Watt TV? You know, in my forced air heat basement rec room I've had my 50" plasma tv running, a game console, my 1200 watt computer running, a variety of lights running, and a space heater running and never got the temp above 75F.

Think you might be exagerrating, a whole lot?:eyebrow:

While some might think "Jesus Christ! 100W more! I'd cook alive!" if they don't understand that about everything in yor house is dissipating 100W of electricity/heat, anyone who has any lights, appliances, and AV stuff knows a 100W extra is probably nothing compared to the power you're already running. (unless you're in the dark on a Nintendo DS)

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

What the hell is PhysX?

15. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

The only physics library worth looking at ATM until maybe Bullet finally gets GPU acceleration.

16. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I think the three main problems are :
    Very high idle and load temperatures - Longevity of card questionable.
    Pricing way too high for actual performance.
    You can almost run 2 HD 5870s in crossfire and have the same power draw.

The Gtx 480 does have some good points though, in that it has good performance for folding and gaming in general while also supporting physx. I suspect that only real Nvidia die-hards are actually going to buy this card at the current price point, when the HD 5870 makes such an attractive offer. Overall all, the gap between the release of both series had led to exaggerated hype over performance which Nvidia has consequently failed to deliver. However, if Nvidia had released the 400 series back in october, the reception would have been quite a bit different.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2010
  17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

About folding, I really have to question that. Not a folder myself, but with its heat/power draw who knows if anyone will actually take it. For your average user those aspects are important, but not huge. For a folder, though, these things will run at 100% load 24/7 for as long as possible. Have to wonder how costly quad-SLI running full time will get. I doubt this will change people away from the 9600GSO or whichever is the most common/best.

18. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

whats the ppd/watt like? would it not be more cost and power effective to have a 7 slot MB with 7 single slot 9800GTs?

19. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

I can't help wondering how those GTX 480 cards will fair on a really hot summer day here in the UK when the fans are partially blocked by dust. And what about the poor guy using the PC, unless they have air-conditioning then I would imagine it will be uncomfortably warm. They'd be great for cheap heating in the winter months though! :p

20. nRollo

Do you wonder about how people will fare on a hot day when they turn on a 100W light fixture? Or think the light fixture provides cheap heating?

The 100W difference in a GTX480 and a 5870 is literally nothing in terms heating a room. I don't think there's a room in my home that has less than 100W of lighting in it, and I've never once noticed the heat rise when I turn on the lights.