1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Welcome to bit-tech 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Apr 2010.

1. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

The orange "Feedback" button glued to the left edge of my browser is a bit jarring...

Seriously, though, it's a good design. The front page continues to get more complicated, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of, but it reminds me strongly of newspapers, which I suspect is what you're aiming for. It seems to suffer from a lack of centralization - there's no single obvious place to look. If it was up to me, I'd try moving the column topped with "Latest News" to the left of the images and articles column, to make that the focal point of the page.

2. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Ok now that I fixed the fixed width browser, I can comment on the new front page. I don't like it as much as the old layout.

3. fliberty

fliberty What's a Dremel?

Font looks terrible. Honestly HelveticaNeue-Light set to 72.5% I wonder why it looks bad.... *shrug*

People shouldn't HAVE to have clear-type enabled or be zoomed in to have your default fonts look good. GG

FF 3.6 - Win 7

4. fliberty

Oh and BTW... My clear type IS on.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

tbh I quite like it. I wished for the old version to stay because I am a nostalgic but the new version is fine. The only thing is the text is quite small for me in the morning (okay it's 1:25pm but still, it's the morning for me)

oh and as Techno-Dann said, could you remove the feedback button when we browse the forum ? :)

<3

6. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Feedback button will be gone tomorrow morning - we wanted to leave it on for 24 hours, I want people to feel they've had the chance to feed back on it. Plus we want to get the bugs spotted and sorted. We beta tested across PC, Mac, Linux with Chrome/IE/FF and over 100 beta users from the community, but clearly we've not spotted every quirk.

7. fliberty

Sorry for triple posting, but I just wanted to mention that I think the BG clashes with the header logo. There's hardly any contrast and it simply doesn't pop out at you. The problem exists especially for the "bit" portion.

Besides all the visual problems I have with the site. I think the new layout is well organized and see it being much more helpful for finding articles.

8. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Yup, that's exactly what I thought.

I really think some like this would solve that problem (or at least help it).
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Adblocker used cos screencapping flash crashes my browser :rolleyes:
    EDIT2: In case it wasn't obvious, the articles should automatically scroll through the hotspots every few seconds.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2010
  9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I've just arrived home and seen the new site for the first time. I really like it. After reading this article and understanding the amount of work that has gone into making so many changes on not only a visual redesign but also on the very roots of the site, I have to say I am very impressed with what the staff have done. Having administered a couple of sites in my time, I can really appreciate the amount of effort that went into this, and after a quick browse round, there's nothing that I see that I don't think is a positive change. I especially like the new logo.

All those who are complaining about the new site on a completely blunt level (i.e. those who are not actually giving detailled, useful feedback) need to stop being so utterly arrogant and unappreciative. It's clear that a lot of effort has gone into this project and the staff even took the time to allow bit-tech members to beta test the changes. If you honestly think it's rubbish, you know nothing about web design and have no right to comment here. For those who are posting detailled feedback on things that the site would benefit from having changed, keep doing it. You guys do know what you're talking about, and the bit-tech staff will welcome your feedback with open arms.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to explore :)

badders and Jamie like this.
  10. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Loving the new design, smooth and sleek but if I had one complaint its a bit bright, I preferred Bit-tech's old darker colour scheme, I wasn't prepared for the new site, it may just be my sensitive eyes but I certainly felt assaulted

EDIT: Love the above design with the main article in big and sub articles linked by hotspots

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

for all the big widescreen peeps just pump it up to 200%, looks good, no borders and can read the text ;)

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

alright thanks for the answer and sorry if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't read all of it :)

What you need to remember is there are a lot of 14-15 year olds that browse this kind of site and well, some of them just don't know yet how to act properly... In time, they will though

13. shakka65

shakka65 What's a Dremel?

I don't like the new look at all. The screen is way too narrow and it seems like a little too much clutter. I believe sometimes that change isn't good. It will take some time getting use to the new look.

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

If you are talking about the forum and not the main site , read this

15. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Everyone has a right to their opinion. I'm not arrogant or anything like it. And I can fully appreciate the time and effort that went into this revamp. But I still don't like it. No it's not rubbish..it does its job well. But it is ugly. Why should I then be denied the right to say so? Understanding web design and liking the end result don't have to go hand in hand.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am pretty sure his post was not aiming at you but at the posters who just said "TEH NEW LAYOUT IS TEH SUCKZORS DUHHHHH" without any further explanation or justification

18. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Ah, glad thats happening, the big orange button annoyed me so much i ad-blocked it :D

The small auto-scrolling box was the one thing i hated most about the old site ;)
    Quite glad the new site doesn't have one actually!

Just echoing a few others about the main site looking a bit silly on widescreen monitors though.
    Zooming in seems to do the trick but IMHO you shouldn't need to manually do fixes on your browser to fix certain websites :p

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I know it wasn't aimed at me. My own comment wouldn't have provoked his response. And I fully agree that what has been done has been done well. But it was the general feel of the post and the remark that if anyone thought this was rubbish they had no right to post. Terrible... EVERYONE has a right to post..even if they know nothing about anything. It offended me not on a personal level..but on a human level.

A quote comes to mind "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

20. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

To all the people complaining about their 'widescreen monitor'. Do you really have your browser maximised? I ask because virtually every application I use (aside from games) I run in a small window usually about 1000px wide.

Multitasking is fun, you guys should try it sometime...

Tags: Add Tags