1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Need a new tv!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xMathiasD, 16 Apr 2010.

1. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

Hi guys

I need a new TV because the old is becoming a little outdated, what I have now is a 32 "nokia tv. :wallbash:

I thought that I would buy a philips 32 "tv with ambilight so it seems larger. :thumb:
    Philips 32PFL8404H - it costs about $ 900 here in Denmark, my budget is around $ 1,000

it is also limited which television you can buy here in Denmark, but I take as in at all suggestions ..

cheesecake! :rock:

Be happy! And THX.

sorry for my bad English. :worried:

2. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

I suggest Sony KDL-40W5810 32 in. HDTV-Ready LCD TV, This Sony BRAVIA TV has an integrated satellite tuner to receive freesat so you won’t need a set-top box or cables cluttering your room. freesat is available in 98% of UK households, and includes over 70 hours a week of free HD TV from the BBC and ITV, with no subscription or contract. and important the price less than $1,000.

3. monkeee2002

monkeee2002 warning: I void warranties

+1 for cheesecake! :thumb:

I'd suggest you have a look at Samsung and Vizio TV's. They give you a pretty good value.
    I've had my Vizio for about 4 years now, still works perfectly.

4. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I'm a big fan of Samsung TV's and monitors (as my sig shows). My parents have a Philips and it's not too shabby either.

5. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

6. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Working in currys i see a lot of tvs (as you might guess) and the picture on LG tv's knocks the socks off even some of the more expensive brands, definately look into them.

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Which size are you looking at? Ambilight is mostly a gimmick. Sure, it looks nice for the first couple of weeks, but later on you'd really appreciate good image quality more.

For a 32" you could have a look at Sony's new KDL-32EX500. You could get that for around DKK 4500. As far as I can tell it's pretty much identical to Sony's current 32" top model, the KDL-32EX700 (about DKK 2000 more), with the distinction that it uses a conventional CCFL backlight instead of an edge LED backlight.

If you can go to 42" you should definitely look into Panasonic plasma models like the TX-P42G20E.

8. klutch4891

Like Gingerfox said LG is quite good, and so is Sony if you can get a good deal (normally quite overpriced in my opinion).

9. xMathiasD

thanks guys! :D

well i would like to get a 32 " with amiblight :D or a 42" without ambilight ^^

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Ambilight doesn't really matter, I'd say go with a somewhat new Samsung or Sony LCD, although I'm an ardent fan of plasmas, the 32" sector is ruled by cheap LCDs.

Watch out for the A/B5 series on the Samsung LCDs, they love to blow out caps. Same goes for the A/B6 LCD TVs.

Although they don't sell those anymore, they can be had for a really low price now if you're really cash strapped.

11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I think disregarding Ambilight altogether is a mistake, it's not a gimmick, it's better for your eyes. It's not however, anything to do with making a TV appear bigger or improving the quality of the picture.

$1000 is a lot for a 32. Lots of people are throwing brands about. What do you want to use the TV for? What content will you be watching and through what other kit? Satellite, aerial, Blu-ray, PC??

12. xMathiasD

well i'll be using it for my PC i think, and then just regular tv ^^

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

He doesn't live in the UK, he might not get freesat at all and he probably doesn't have to pay bollocks like TV tax to begin with.

14. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

In which case, I'd be looking at LG. Obviously, I have no idea where you'd source one, or how much it would be, but take a look at the 32LH7000. Great response times and cope much better with a PC attached than a lot of others. Great for gaming or HD content. Not quite so good for regular television, but the best LCDs for that are Panasonic and they don't tend to like PCs.

Sony's newer models are awful when compared with the old W (4000) series. Although they're still good, they just don't represent good value for money in comparison to their current peers.

I have no experience with Phillips for PC connectivity, but they often share panels with LG and the 32PFL9604 is a gorgeous looking TV. The picture is legendarily great with Blu-Ray, but again I have no personal experience with PC and I don't know what the price would be like for you.

If you can look at those two and have a PC demonstrated on the Phillips, I think you'll find something you like :)

15. Dvs98SK

Dvs98SK What's a Dremel?

I bought a 32" Samsung LED 5000 series recently and its great was about $850 here in the US. Great for space and the picture quality is great. Prefer it over my 46" Samsung LCD lol.

16. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't touch a Samsung or an LG TV personally.

I'd personally only recommend Panasonic or Sony to anyone.

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Those new LEDs are nice, and they're quite a step up from LCDs, and cooler than plasmas.

I'd recommend it, but $800 is quite a drop on a 32" TV.

18. klutch4891

It's about how much the 32" Samsung 650's were when they were new. If I didn't already have mine I'd be interested. They look great for wallmounting.

19. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Recommending anything based purely on the brand is short-sighted. The current Pana models are good value for SD, but the motion isn't as good as an equivalent LG in the current line-up. Samsung's colour richness and vibrancy is up there, and the LED sets are beautiful to look at (although they're not miles better than a regular 6 series, they're just thinner and therefore cooler) but again, the motion isn't the best with BD.

The OP wants it for PC mostly, that's where LG 7000 shine. I'm basing that not on brands, but on experience of the sets in question.

20. wormy

wormy Minimodder

I had a philips 32" 9604 (I think) and it looked beautiful, after changing some settings...but died when I tried to update the firmware. It wouldn't come out of the update process and my retailer couldn't fix it, then the model was discontinued. Great tv, ambilight worked very nicely, brilliant sound for a flat screen (though always better to use an external speaker set up) but I'm wary of another Philips because of that update crash. Still, if you have a good retailer it shouldn't be a problem if update does go wrong.

LG I would avoid - their tv picture quality never impressed me, nor the sound. Maybe they have improved in the last few months though. Samsung are a little better and some models are reputed to be very good - eg the 40 B650 or something like that - but you have to be careful I think as they are hit and miss.

Sony usually aren't bad, though standard defnition tv is said to be not good on some models and, of course, you pay extra for being Sony.

If you can find any (unlikely new as I think now completely stopped) I'm very happy with my 32" Pioneer LCD. Sound is ok but picture very nice.

Happy shopping :)