1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Evolution

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Editor22, 19 Jan 2010.

1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I love your work mate, I watch your work and I expect more updates... oh and than means more coffee too! :) Mod on man!

2. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Lol I considered it for 2 seconds then remembered that the panels in that area need to be removable for hardware mounting :p

It "should" get covered if I can source a louvre grill to the right dimensions but that's turning out to be a killer. If not no light will get through as its covered from the back via the 1/2" aluminium framework :)

Cheers dude, I'll try and get out there this week but life's getting hectic for the next couple of days :p

3. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Well if light isn't seeping through then I see no problem with it.

4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Right update time :)

While I'm waiting for some more 1/2" channel to arrive I made a start on the "little" bits that needed doing. Today was the turn of the CPU block bracket. This also gave me a chance to get my macro lens out which is something I'm doing less and less of these days so excuse the poor shots :p

First up a few shots of the block I'll be using in the build which is the "Ybris black sun"
    I would have loved to give a review on the block but truth be told this is my first WC build so I don't feel confident enough in my knowledge but I can still show you all how pretty it is :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok so enough shiny things and onto some modding!

The ybris didn't come with a back plate so I decided to run one up myself using the plexi plate as a template. Weapon of choice for marking out is the inside of a pen, it just makes it easier to get into small screw holes and corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the same shaping process of fret saw - selection of files.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn that's a huge backplate! ooo no wait its just a tiny file :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

A little sanding later and its all done ready for paint :)

[​IMG]

take it easy

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Nice update, and good work on the backplate. :thumb:

And don't worry, your shots are fine :)

6. ModaRobby

For a first log your pictures are fantastic.

Are you placing that sheet metal backplate on the acrylic or are you replacing the acrylic?

Making the metal one a lil smaller and then placing it over the acrylic would look pretty bad ass.

Still watching patiently.... :thumb:

7. StEm

StEm What's a Dremel?

yeah, nice working there, nice pics too.

I hope my pics turn out half that good on my project.... ohhh thats a point i need to construct a light box.. darn. lol

mod on editor 22!!!

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yeah I think placing the metal bracket over the plexi one will look great also.

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks guys :) the plate was originally made as the rear support to go behind the mobo but after the suggestion I may have to make another for the top and throw a couple of small leds behind it. Thanks for the idea :p

10. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Sorry its not a project update but it is an update for why I haven't had enough time to get stuck into evolution :)
    About this time last year at work we looked at our main office and decided the mish mash of desks and 10 year old blue carpet had to go so I set about designing a new one. After about 6 months of planning we finally found time to make a start so for the next few weeks most of my time is going into getting this finished :p
    Heres a shot of how it is at present and the original render.

[​IMG]

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Great looking office, looks very welcoming and professional, plus you got a ton of desk space :D.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Needs more light :p

But no seriously, that looks pretty good.

13. ModaRobby

I always think aluminum over plexi looks badass. Add some white or blue LEDs.

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks, its crazy how much desk space there is now its all coming together, all I need to do now is price up some shuttles to free up even more :)

lol unfortunately I was limited by the building for light :(

I'm hoping white LEDs to offset against the blue fluid and shine up the blue on the surrounding mobo :)

15. ModaRobby

I'm hoping white LEDs to offset against the blue fluid and shine up the blue on the surrounding mobo :)[/QUOTE]

I agree with the white. :thumb:

16. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Yay the office is just about finished other than building some shelving but that can wait till the hectic summer period is over :p I'm pretty happy with it and the chippy did a good job with routing all the desks in which saved me a lot of time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now that's done its time to get back to evolution :) here's what I've been up to in the small bits of free time I've had.

Got the holes cut out of the motherboard tray and finished them off with a large grommet and some U channel also added 3 extra gaps on the bottom left of the tray to let more light through into the blue plexi of the reservoir plate. Still got to tidyn out the hole for the cable routing on the left but that can wait until its all sleeved up and I know exactly how much room I need.

[​IMG]

Made some more progress on the bottom section panels. The upper side panels will be fixing into the 2 central bars so I needed to add a rail for the bottom panel to fix to.
    I clamped some 1/2"x1/2" angle to the middle bar then drilled, tapped and fixed it in place with some more m4 button heads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick test fit and then it was time to mark out and drill through the angle and the side panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that screwed in place I moved on to the holes for the bottom.

[​IMG]

And then my wife called me in for dinner... so that's it for today but I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll now so hopefully it will be updates a plenty for a bit :)

now some padding :p

[​IMG]

I'm using a poor mans drill and bits so I have to use A LOT of force to get the job done and always seemed to clip the drill jaws on the metal when it penetrated all the way leaving horrible deep circular scratches. Just stuck a piece of scrap card over the end and voila no more circles :p

See you next time :geek:

17. ModaRobby

Keep in mind that these rails you are adding could be used for another purpose. You can hide cables in there. Makes everything all nice and tidy. I've seen a lot of modders do it. My favorite being the SpeLL7 project. He had a double wide Lian Li case and constructed an "L" shaped aluminum column and hid ALL his wires in there. It was bad ass to say the least.

Still watching patiently.... :thumb:

18. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I remember that build, as for cable management goes... its all taken care of :p that was one of the main things I focused on in the design phase, The idea is to hide all the cables with only the small portion showing between the mobo tray and the connector.

19. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Another update so soon.... this is madness!

Received a package today :D

[​IMG]

Inside Is a large sheet of 3mm lightly smoked plexi for the windows. The smoke is really subtle but should still enhance the lighting effects and blend in better with the black finish than standard clear :)

[​IMG]

So tonight I finished off the bottom front panel. from where we left off yesterday I carried on with some filing taking the panel down to the 1/2" angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a light sand to finish off.

[​IMG]

The reason I'm doing it this way is mainly due to the discrepancy in some of the measurements, while its only 1mm or under it would be visible once the main side panel is butted up to the bottom panel. So doing it this way I can be sure to get a 100% straight edge :)

Time to fit the panel on

[​IMG]

And now a small teaser of what I'm thinking about for the main panels. The bend on this piece was a few degrees off so it will be going into the spares pile but it helps to visualize the basic design.

[​IMG]

Well I'll be doing all that again for the other side so wont bother posting all that as it will just look exactly the same :p

Until next time :thumb:

20. ModaRobby

I think you should go ahead and post the other side panel so we have something to look at until you move on to the next part. Lol.