1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Welcome to bit-tech 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Apr 2010.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's okay, aside from the weird feedback button.

Also, it's admittedly cluttered, but I can deal with it, beats Anand's redesign that had moving flash..ugh.

2. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Nice one xD

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Okay, it's been less than a day and the width of the main page is seriously starting to bother me.

I'll take this moment to counter the populist argument:
    Just because most other sites code themselves to low-res screens, doesn't nescesarily make it the right thing to do.

Current bit-tech layout on a 24" screen results in the following:
    1 - content displayed as-is on a tiny % width of the screen
    2 - content blown up to fit the screen, with the text looking nice and big but the resulting graphics blown up and looking like a blurry/blocky mess :(

Tiny text and wasted space or blurry graphics... Not a nice choice to inflict on your audience...

4. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

I have to say the layout is pretty good. My only complaint is that there isnt a widescreen option, but in the same aspect, its great because it scales stuff so I dont need to do fullscreen browsing anymore.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Apologies if this has been asked/spotted before but is the background image a picture of Ian Helmar's Flow?

6. dinjo_jo

dinjo_jo What's a Dremel?

I came here and just could not recognize the website at all.

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Not sure if this was asked.. can I get rid of the damn Feedback button? It's starting to really get to me, I just want to swat it off my screen.

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

it'll be gone tomorrow DarkLord

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

We've made the site wider!

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I like it and forget about my earlier comment about the forum width. I should just learn how to read. ;)

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I like it. I liked it in the Beta, and I still like it now.

The Main Page strikes a good balance between ads and content.

Good Job, Guys!

Oh, and Unicorn, rep++

12. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

Site is now to wide for my phone please make narrower
    (turns phone )
    Better now
    Thanks

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah?

...font's still bad though ;)

(yeah, i know it's an "in" font right now, my newssite uses it, people complained, nobody cares. And yes white is the new silver, and colour is bad right now *sigh*)

You still have the articles colour coded by section (yay), but the tab buttons for the seczion are no longer colour coded. Inconsequent?
    I stand corrected, they're mouse-over colour coded.

Aaaah!, the number in the picture is a comment counter...now i've got it.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2010
  14. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

That's not a feature, but a ugly workaround. I don't want bigger text, i want a more enjoyable page, with a slick design. More room = more space to make a elegant design.

15. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Really? But where's the benefit if you've increased the width by a small amount and then stuffed in a whole load of extra content? The width per column ends up being reduced.

The overall width needs increasing again (IMHO).

16. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

I sdee the review pages are sliced too. Almost half of the page is cluttered with commercials now. The frontpage, do you really need three "selection" bars ? Together with the AD-banner line, we loose about 200 px in heigt, so the actual content gets more and more "cropped" in one small area.

Combined with the triple column homepage, where the middle column is unpleasently small and the rightsided "ad" column extra wide, it gives you a claustofobic feel overal.

Zooming the page isn't very usefull either, that way you only need to scroll down the page even more.

Another thing, you can browse now through 170+ frontpages i see. While i gues that every page is a day in a week, why not make a browse system through it with actual dates, instead of meaningless, stupid numbers ?

With a date stamp, it's much easier to find your your way. Hmm, that article i've seen, well; that was about two weeks ago; the thirteent i believe.... Bingo; hit the year/month, date and there you go....

hahaha. Even the comments look silly, i just noticed. They are all cluttered on the left side of the page, leaving alot of space unused.
    What a huge waste of space....

Btw, Tom's hardware design sucks just as much.
    Too much info in too little space and/or too much space sacrificed for the commercials.
    Like Anandtech's appraoch more, aldo that ain't perfect either. Like Guru3D and Hardocp design the best. Clean, open and good to read.

I imagine i see myself here alot less then i am used to. A shame, really.

And don't tell me i have no right to speak, while there was a beta-project. First, everyone has a rigth to speak; that's called democracy. Second, i don't have time to join and participate in every project-log on every site that feels they need one. Actually, i never heard of your beta-project. I just see the result of it and when you ask a consumers opinion; there you have it.

Tom's hardware i hardly come anymore, and while i don't see anything gonn change in the near future here; bittech will follow that same route.

I can only hope more and more people agree with me this is something we do not want and speak up for themselves and others. Or just move on to the next site, which isn't "infected" with the "commercial" virus.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Apr 2010
  17. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

+1. Never mind the quality, feel the lack of width.
    Come on it's 2010, not all of us need everything crammed in the middle of the screen. Not scaling makes the adverts more intrusive too. At 1850 x 1050 75% of the width is ads or wasted space once you scroll past the ads/links.

18. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Check the notice at the top of the forum! :wallbash:

19. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

But the problem isn't with the layout of the forum. That can be fixed by changing to variable width. The problem is the main site is too narrow and bunched up.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i honestly don't see what's the problem with widescreen monitors. yes, you are on the desktop with a huge ass monitor, but have you thought about those on netbooks trying to read the site? you can't expect the site to be optimised for your 1680 pixel width monitor when there are 1024 netbook users trying to read, at the same time as there are 2560 users wondering about the lack of width.

for 22 inch 1680x1050, it is kind of difficult because the screen is so small. for 24 inch people who are complaining, have you thought about reading in window mode? that way, you can have the left over space for MSN/Steam chat, other reading or simply enjoy the wallpaper view.

[​IMG]

bottom line is that the site width is perfect. perfect for netbook users at the same time perfect for desktop users.

about the column thing, the idea is to bring more into view without needing to scroll down. and i think they've achieved that beautifully. before, you can only see 3 or 4 articles while the rest has been pushed down. now, you have 5 featured top articles, and 4 to 5 normal ones on the left column. latest news on the middle. special stuff on the right such as buyer's guide and podcast. with the old website, it was impossible to find the buyer's guide and podcast posts.

all websites are growing, same with bit-tech. their new design is not here to please individuals who just want old look. their new website design is to allow them to post more stuff each day, and able to highlight the featured articles. isn't it always a shame when a well written article gets pushed down the page by other news?

Jamie likes this.
Tags: Add Tags