1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Steam UI arrives on Monday

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Apr 2010.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Thye did implement a decent game list (where you could assign a game to multiple categories) when the beta started but one of the first updates got rid of it for the collapsable lists instead - there's quite a big list of people complaining on the steam beta feedback forums, but there hasn't been a single reply from any of the steam staff to say if they've taken the complaints on board (which has also raised complaints). At the moment the game list is less than useful.

Edit:
    Click on the magnifying glass in Steam. the customisable games list isn't that customisable tbh.

When the beta first started you could assign games to multiple categories and just show games from particular categories, so for example Borderlands could be assigned to FPS, RPG, Single-player, Multi-player, Co-op, In Progress and Favourites.
    Filtering to any of those categories would bring up Borderlands. At the moment filtering has been removed, and you can only assign a game to 1 category which is pointless, a lot of games will fit into more than 1 category.

Can't understand why they removed that functionality - it worked a lot better than the system they have implemented now.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2010
  2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yay, hopefully they've ironed out all the bugs.

i for one like shinny things, so this Steam update looks fantastic.

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

See those divider lines? They allow you to quickly collapse that section, instantly hiding non-installed games. Favorites at the top. Single click moves them to/from favorites.

Small things can make a big difference.

4. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

I just hope the new one works. I don't even care what it looks like.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, now I have to go all the way into the drop-down menu and click 'show installed games'. One extra click for something I do every week or so - not a dealbreaker if you ask me, not considering the vast improvements made elsewhere.

Works exactly the same way in the beta (I just haven't bothered to set any favourites in that screenshot).

6. Omnituens

Didn't put them at the top back when i did - just star'ed them in the list.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Ah, well it puts them at the top now. That's what the beta is for - they've been releasing several patches a week based on the feedback in the forums to make sure it's ready for a full release. It's not the same UI as it was two months ago.

8. Omnituens

Interesting. We'll see on monday.

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Where did the Small View <--> Large View button go? Used that one a lot on my laptop.

The new webkit is nice, but adding that much eye-candy wasn't necessary and probably is a ressource hog. Not every steam user has that killer rig, so every mb of RAM or CPU cycle that is wasted by the new bling bling might result in an even lower frame rate.

Also: Thanks smc8788, I have searched for this view in vain before and thought they've abandoned it for this new large mode. Hiding the options like that (you can only configure the games list to look like that clicking the right mouse button) is kinda unnecessary. How will the Mac-users be able to change these options?

Speaking of the devil, they probably are the reason for this new layout. Eye-candy goes a long way in the Mac world.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2010
  10. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

You guys do know about game categories? It makes life so much easier and they are collapsable.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

yes, but the way they've gone about setting then up is awful compared with what they had about 3-4 weeks ago (i.e. multiple, filterable categories per game rather than just one).

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

13. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Something free for PC community?! ZOMG, izh's zhe end of zhe world!

14. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

To be fair valve have always said they'd release stuff for free on xbox but M$ won't let them.

15. Marc5002

Marc5002 What's a Dremel?

i love beta ui just not color

the beta ui as much easier game list : better browser :and when you click game you see trophy : previously to get ur trophy / achivement display you ad to click the game manuelly on ur profile id on steam website which is errr annoying..

16. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

The new UI update was long over due.
    At first it looks a tad cluttered but the extra functions it brings far outweight the cons.
    Although i do like the new look.

17. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Trust me, haters, you will survive

18. ChuckyP83

ChuckyP83 What's a Dremel?

If you're cutting it so close that a couple of percent of CPU time is going to ruin your gaming experience (or even significantly alter it) then you might want to consider upgrading. You dont need a killer rig or any significant amount of ram to show the window... come on man. Its not like its XP -> Vista.

Of all the things to find issue with the new shiny. Lets say it wastes 4% CPU time and the game is CPU bound: 60fps *.04=2.4fps. Thats worst case scenario, and who's to say the old steam didn't use that CPU time either? At that 60fps threshold you wouldn't even notice the difference. If you can I've got some Magical stickers to sell you that make your iPod sound incredible...

19. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

I'm not a big fan of the new layout, but I don't hate it. It seems slower, but that is probably just me. Anyone know if the new steam actually works reliably in offline mode? Or is it solely a UI change?

I didn't know L4D2 DLC was coming out today. I know what I'm playing this evening.

20. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Well, they said it was coming out today. COME ON VALVE, I NEED MY NEW FIX!!!

Tags: Add Tags