1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs An update on the redesign

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Apr 2010.

1. leslie

leslie Just me!

You do know Bit Torrent is used for legitimate reasons as well right.
    The same applies to Usenet.

Granted in this case it looks shady, a person isn't guilty until proven so.

You are doing exactly what the B.S.A. wants and feeding the hysteria which leads to software being outlawed. You probably don't remember, but at one time there was talk of banning network testing tools such as port scanners because of people like you said everyone who used them was using them for illegal reasons.

2. leslie

leslie Just me!

Only if you want to hurt them.

They will at best lose revenue due to cost per view going down.
    At worst, they could lose their ad serving contract entirely. Google is particularly draconian about this.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And you, Sir, should learn how to use the edit and/or multi-quote buttons. :p

I have no idea why it's that hard to white list sites that you support. I use AdBlock as well but BT is most definitely white-listed.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

No problem. Although I don't work for the site now, I'm still here to help. I guess you could now think of me as a bit-tech reader who's very close to the inner workings of the site. :thumb:

5. perplekks45

Then change your title over your avatar, mate. :p

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

To be honest, anyone who uses the word "content" in that appalling catch-all sense that diminishes journalism (and music and filmmaking) to the level of a commodity immediately loses any credibility with me, so I guess that's fair.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Is there a way of telling how many people are using variable or fixed width?

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i know the width has been explained, but holy crap its narrow.... its less than half of my screen size (1920x1200). And just because other sites use the narrow method does not make it the right method.
    Happy with the new site apart from that.

9. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Love to see a mobile format!:rock:

Sometimes, in a shop, the reviews can become quite handy in the time of choosing which one. Let it roll please:clap:

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

What's wrong with that? It's a perfectly acceptable use of the term, it doesn't denigrate journalism in any way at all. It's also is quite a common term when it comes to web design and business in general; that's why systems like Drupal, Blogger, etc, are called CMS: Content Management Systems.

I lost ad-blocking functionality when I switched to Chrome last year; I've never thought that bit's ads were particularly intrusive. Just please don't ever use those stupid rollover things!

11. perplekks45

Other than heavily flash-based ads, IntelliTXT and ads that somehow grow when you mouse-over I'm fine with ads in general. Oh, and I hate ads that play sounds!

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Good to see you're still trolling your way around Bit-tech Phil. Things don't change, eh?

Also, if you haven't noticed , Bit-tech produces more than just articles these days, there are podcasts and videos as well. Collectively, it's known as content... or, just for you, would you like me to refer to it as news, reviews, previews, features, blogs, analysis, podcasts and videocasts? It's OK, I'm sure those extra few key presses will do me good.

With that said, you probably haven't noticed that we produce more than just news, reviews, previews, features, blogs and analysis articles because you're too busy waiting for the next opportunity to make a clever comment. :sigh:

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Jeez Phil, if you get any more anal and you'll be engulfed by a chocolate starfish.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Ah, Tim gave a better reply. I gave a personal one. You know, from me.

14. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Just a tip that I think would be useful. Throughout the website you use various colours to identify different article themes, Gaming, Modding... etc. It would be clearer and easier to understand what those colours mean if you had a background of the topic colour around the topic headers on the main page. Then you would see the topics and their associated colours and understand the reference and use of the vertical coloured bars attached to the articles on the main page.

I hope that all makes sense.

*EDIT - I know that you have highlights of the colours that appear once the mouse is over the topic but I feel that is too discreet. I didn't notice that for a few days and I visit the website many times throughout each day.*

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Pssst, it was that way on the o.l.d. website...don't mention it! Besides, colour is out! :D

No, you're right, it would make sense to me too

16. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Re colour coding - we do still do it, if you click Gaming, for instance, the 2nd level of the top nav turns red, and all the stories are colour coded red. Is that not what you mean?

17. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

i really can't understand why people love the new font. I just noticed i see the page with 125% zoom. Even then the font here is very, very tiny and hard to read. Back to 100% it becomes unreadable. Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes, but i surely hope so not.

Why o why is it so sexy to use these tiny fonts ? The only reason i can think of is page-design. For the user it's a nightmare, atleast for me it is and i think i am not alone in this matter.

Yes, i have the zoom option. But you also now that using it srews up the design/layout. So that is not really a option, but a nasty "workaround".

Is it too much too ask for a more readable font, for people like me, who don't have the "hawk-eye" ?

18. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Have you got a screenshot showing the small font?

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

You make a good point

20. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Some feedback - One small problem im having is on the blogs page. when wanting to post a comment you have to scroll back to the top to click a tab. On my netbook i can get over it but on my mobile its kinda annoying. Articles are scaling to fit screen width automatically using opera mini and load times are still the same. Only problem is the front page being so big that I get lost on the mobile xD

Tags: Add Tags