1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete GwassGween -FINISHED-Nov13 2013-pics start on page 67

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 25 Jun 2009.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oops! I think I'm OK on that now. Mach was kind enough to offer use of his tapping die!:clap:
    Thanks for the offer.:D

Speaking of tapping...
    [​IMG]
    -I used the drill press to keep the tap level here. The yellow stuff is really old oil.
    [​IMG]
    -I added a little water to drill some mounting holes. These were tapped out later. I did a lot of stuff off-camera for this update.:duh:
    [​IMG]
    -I dredged up 4-5 hours of time to sand and polish the fan guard fins! The test run has shown me they make a whooshing noise. I canceled out any quietness the Noctuas gave me.:(
    [​IMG]
    -This and the HWLabs SR1 stick out about 4" from the back. Now that this is done, I can remove the radiators again and start sanding the frame.
    [​IMG]
    -I also cut the bottom of the top of the reservoir. (middle of the outside of the left bit...?)
    -The bottom-half of the top cap of the reservoir... -Yeah, that's it. Anyway, I set the feed rate back up where it should be, and was showered with plastic confetti.:hehe: I have no clue why I slowed it down. It was the two-flute ball end bits that were giving me issues before. The four flute bits chew through this stuff at 7IPM beautifully.
    -I'm rambling to cover for the lack of the rest of an update. I've glued the rest of this part to the MDF sacrifice Three times now. For some reason I thought it was upside-down the first time.

Thanks again to my sweeeet sponsors!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018
  2. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

But those grills look sweet, so it's totally worth the wooshing noise, right?

3. bobisgod

bobisgod What's a Dremel?

Wow. I just read your whole log. It looks amazing. I love the fan covers.

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yep, the grills do look awesome. If you want to minimize the noise just undervolt the fans slightly, 12v down to 10v should be enough, possibly even 7v.

5. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Aww to bad to hear about those swoooshing sounds.. Maybe removing a few fins helps (on top of the boy 4rm oz his advice)? But that would be compromising the design ofcourse. Which sucks.

6. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

You could also try tapering the leading edge of the fins. Make them more like an air foil.

7. Cheapskate

Thanks, everyone.:D
    @Skreenname - Totally.:D
    @Bobisgod - Thanks and welcome to Bit-Tech.

As for the fins- It was with the fans at full power. The reason it's whooshing is the back edge up close to the fans. The fin spacing is tighter than an ACRyan fangrill, so there's a bit of constriction. If I widen the fin spacing, it will ruin the look of the whole case.

8. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -After much re-gluing, I got the rest of the top milled.
    [​IMG]
    -Obligatory one hour, thirty minute later shot.
    [​IMG]
    -I have the parts for the caps now. I just have to glue them together. I have to remember not to glue the res together until I finish all the parts. There's a little voice in my head that wants me to glue it all together NOW!
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a test fit on the front of the case. I need to make the main tube much shorter...
    [​IMG]
    -Anyone else see a problem here? This is from the same shop, (Eplastics.com,) same material, but a different sheet.:( Not only is it a different color, but the newer part is much thinner. Not very consistent.
    Next time I'll ask Delvie's if they can do a special order.
    [​IMG]
    -I cut a bunch of circles to make the res core billet. I came up woefully inadequate at a mere 7". :)lol:)
    [​IMG]
    -I glued what I had together in ~1 inch blocks.
    [​IMG]
    -The scroll saw of the storage room demands sacrifice!
    [​IMG]
    -There was much carnage, but I'm still under 10 inches. How will I ever face the ladies?:worried:
    [​IMG]
    -Whup! There's that color discrepancy again. That's what I get for hitting the scrap box.
    [​IMG]
    -We're back outside for heavy gluing here. The aluminum angles were used to line up the top parts.
    -Also in this pic: Welcome to Houston. Here's your complimentary FEMA tarp.:hehe:

For now, the great scroll saw of the storage room is appeased. There are many pucks glued to MDF awaiting milling.:D

Thanks again to my sponsors. (Please note they are in no way affiliated with the Church of Tile Saws, or that crazy little cult that worships the scroll saw.):thumb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018
  9. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

thats some awesome-o plexi work!

love the detail work even ur "hand"work looks SuperB.

grts k.3nny

10. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Goooorgeous plexi work :D And them fins, pure win right there!

11. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

To eliminate the whoosing sound (granted it would be more work...), this would work / look nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 May 2010
    Cheapskate likes this.
  12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Cheaps... stop it. My jaw hurts again. Stupid desk being so hard.

:jawdrop:

13. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Nice work cheapskate! However I do not envy all the polishing you gonna have to do on those billets hehe..

@ Achron
    Awwright Solidworks nice!

14. prettynifty

prettynifty What's a Dremel?

Looking pretty nifty baby :rock:

But shouldn't you be a little more carefull?? :blush::blush:

I thought that someone said:

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This rule does NOT apply for any of Cheaps' logs. :thumb:

I mean... he's into tiny trolls with red hair in sexy lingerie... :worried:

16. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

I thought that was John? Or are they both as bad as each other in that regard? :p

Nice fin mods Cheaps, neat idea to deaden the whooshing noise, do hope it works :eek:

17. Cheapskate

:hehe: Thanks, guys!

@Achron - How did you know what I was planning on the inside grills?:lol: Even before I did the fan test I was thinking I'd do that just to make it easier to sand the inside/sort the fins.
    @Totalgaos - Yes. Sanding sucks. -'specially MONTHS of it.
    @prettynifty - What are you implying? Get your mind out of the gutter.:hehe: If I was trying to be dirty, wouldn't I have commented on the girth?
    @perplekks45 & Azayles - Definitely John. Lucky for us he is several hundred miles from his troll collection.

18. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Those things come in pocket size though. He could have one with him right... now... :worried:

19. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

To eliminate the whooshing, couldn't you make the edges close to the fan very narrow, so they cut through the air rather than stop it.

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Gorgeous work, Cheaps. Sorry so silent lately, with health and moving and such, I've been away far too long.

I'm currently in RMA hell with the Bat, with almost all pieces failed, but I have a package on top of the fridge that will make people very happy and bring back memories of case mods past. Thankfully, I know you've been nowhere near my house, so I can't blame Cheaps (or can I?!?)