1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GAME to close 100 UK stores, CEO resigns

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Apr 2010.

1. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

In Stockport, there is a Gamestation and a GAME next door to each other.

2. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

HA HA

said in a Nelson voice...

3. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

"Steam contributed to this"
    Play and Amazon also contributed to this.
    But most of all Game contributed to this - the number of times I've had a Game Voucher as a gift and held onto it for months because I couldn't bring myself to pay the inflated prices in store...! Especially as online with free delivery I could get it cheaper from Games own site if they only accepted their own vouchers! And their PC stock was laughable.
    Still there was always a long line of console jockeys waiting to spend £50 a time in my local one so it's not like they weren't selling anything.

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Indeed, it's ridiculous the number of stores GAME have open, it's no suprise they're gonna have to shut some of them down. Just near me there's two virtually next to each other in the Manchester Arndale Centre and another two within spitting distance in the Trafford Centre, with a further stand in Selfridges.

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Have had 1 or 2 bargins in game (very rarely) but more often or not it's cheaper online or in supermarkets.

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Yeah, seems like easy maths doesn't it.

Now count how many times trade-ins get re-sold and re-sold and re-sold with none of that money going to pubs and devs, and now re-do your maths.

There are children crying in the Steam forums as well, suggesting ideas to introduce digital trade-ins on Steam because they wan't brand new games at cheap prices. So to quote my response to the most recent one in there:

"If people think, and I mean really think about a digital trade-in/pre-owned system, it makes absolutely no sense apart from to those who want cheap games.

Here is a much better option:

Release month : game costs £29.99
    2 months later : game costs £24.99
    4 months later : game costs £19.99
    6 months later : game costs £14.99
    12 months later : game costs £9.99
    24 months later : game costs £4.99

This way you hit everyones price-point and everyone is happy. Except all those who want brand new games for cheap.
    "

Of course, it was a quick response and the months and prices need researching properly. Trade-ins have always and will always be a way for retail to squeeze as much money out of 1 item, re-sold as many times as possible.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm not surprised. Everything seems to be moving towards online retailing. I do still buy from Game occasionally but when I do it's via their online service. I can't remember the last time I walked into any shop to buy a game.

8. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Those 2 stores in Bas are a joke. 1 is pretty much 360 only, with half the store covered in green boxes and the other has more DS and Wii space than anything else. The PC sections have practically disappeared over the years aswell.

Gamestation isn't any better really.

I wont miss GAME if they vanished completely.

9. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

What I have noticed with these types of shops is you couldnt ever find what ever branded console accessories, you would always have to choose their own branded or third party stuff, so in the end I would order on line. Going to the shops would be good to have a look and if you wanted something go order it on line, I can wait.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And piracy doesn't? There's a proportionate difference imo.

/can of worms

/runs away

11. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

good
    i am glad

i sent a game in for a refund at their online store [unopened]

they took FOUR WEEKS to book it in. didnt reply to a single one of my 14 emails

and then guess what they did. sent the game back to me even though it was down for a refund.

idiots, deserve to suffer financial loss. the worst customer service i have ever experienced
    and from a complany i used to have a lot of faith in

12. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

i know that at bluewater they have 2 stores right next to each other, and in both you get maybe one coloum of pc games in each store, compared to the miles of other games, inflated prices + little selection = fail.

although i do still prefer the buy it and have it in your hands approach.

13. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

:read: I never suggested piracy didn't! :read:

... of which I am equally anti. Of course the problem occurs that once piracy and pre-owned have been killed, then Activision still won't reduce their prices and people will have to resort to burglaries to get their hands on Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in any sort of reasonable timeframe. :thumb:

14. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I think they just need to be competitive, a sale at a small profit is still a sale, this is an example of when a company name is too big for its own good....

Everything they sell in store is nearly always RRP, anyone can undercut that....

15. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

There will always be a market for traditional boxed copies - you just need to adapt your business model to survive. Honestly, we have GAME stores here in Australia and i think I've only ever bought 1 or 2 games from them. They just aren't competitive enough price wise.

16. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

How many other markets get a cut when products get sold second hand?

when you buy a secondhand car, should the manufacturer get a cut?
    when you buy a secondhand laptop, should the manufacturer get a cut?
    when you buy a secondhand <anything>, should the manufacturer get a cut?

Why is it for okay for everything else except games?

They should stop whining and demanding special treatment IMHO

+1

Seems any town of reasonable size has at least 2 game stores from the time when they brought out competitors

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I know I just like opening that can muahahahaha

18. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

Game have high prices and a poor selection.

I usually go to HMV.

19. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

In my city we have two Game stores within 15minutes walk of each other and a Gamestation in the middle. One of the Game stores used to be quite large on two floors but it was closed and moved to a smaller store that focuses more on console games. I miss the larger Game store as most of the 1st floor was full of PC games and they seemed to stock almost all available PC games. Now it's just whatevers in the chart and crappy budget games :(

These days I buy a lot of games from Steam due to convenience and cost, but I do miss the joy of going to a decent games shop and bringing home a game in a case with DVDs.

20. matt.bungle

matt.bungle Vase

Game use to be alright when looking for a bargin but it seems that there pricing is way off than what it use to be.

I have never bought a new release from game as the price is way over the top but always use to able to find a bargin somewhere.

I can understand there overheads are way more exspensive than the likes of play/amazon, but if you want to survive in the current climate you beter off competing and selling something for less rather than nothing at.

Steam is awesome and hope they can keep providing decent prices in the sales they do.

Tags: Add Tags