1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 2 is Underappreciated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 19 Apr 2010.

1. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

OH MY GOD. If you have shadow of chernobyl then you MUST try the Oblivion Lost Mod. Its all the better for knowing the vanilla inside-out. Its harder but so sooo sooooooooooooooooo much better. Chunky download tho.

2. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think a mod as well made as Oblivion Lost for Far Cry 2 could have made it a classic. So many elements of that game were within a tweak/wrench of being really good that it's a crying shame that nothing could be done to fix them.

It's a big trend though these days, making games user-unfriendly, usually just to sell more DLC. In the long term it's a genuine gamble because you lose a lot of fan base and brand loyalty from the players, but you gain money. Hard to argue against it in those terms.

3. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

Some people can appreciate meticulous, immersive, stealthy games, some can't. What's the recurring theme in people bashing Far Cry, Crysis, Far Cry 2? That it's "boring". Or "too hard". And if you insist all your games play like Call of Duty, I guess it is. Everyone's tastes are different and just because you personally don't enjoy Far Cry/Crysis doesn't mean it's a sh*t game, or all the reviewers are liars or stupid.

I like to picture all these posters like Angry German Kid, smashing their keyboard while they're driving around the savanna or walking across the island. KOMME AHHHNNNNNN!!!!!! I VANT AKKTIOON!!!!! NO MORE DRIVINK!!!!! NO MORE SNEAKKINK!!!!! I VANT TO SHOOOOOOOT!!!!

Of course there are some valid criticisms, like too-quickly-respawning checkpoints, or Far Cry/Crysis suddenly becoming more linear in the end stages. But I believe most of the haters simply don't like this kind of game, and blame their personal preference on developer incompetence. I just wait for the day these people realize these games just aren't for them, so the rest of us don't have to listen to all this vitriol every time a new entry comes to market.

4. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I think some people are taking this article too seriously, like the people claiming they wasted their money based on the positive reviews at the time. Craig obviously thoroughly enjoyed the game, the fact he wrote this article about it long after its release is testament to that, and at the end of the day any review is just the opinion of the person writing it - much like this article.
    Though to say this game was under-appreciated was perhaps a bit of a stretch?
    Personally I'd take this game over Crysis any day but again - that's just my opinion and I wouldn't say you were wrong for not agreeing with it.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thats what i wanted, instead i got cod in africa with some shitty open world mechanics, adhd pacing and a rubbish engine. :eyebrow:

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    And Malaria.

7. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Huge open world, destructable terrain objects, fire propagation, realistic physics, and a user-friendly level editor. Yeah, terrible engine...:wallbash:

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I rest my case :D

9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Yay. Deserts.

The destruction was seriously not as good as a lot of other games (including Crysis), the fire propagation across the ground and huts was pretty good, but at the end of the day, that's all it was; fire moving to other huts or other grass. Yay.

And while the physics were good, and I certainly had nothing wrong with them, I don't find that such a rare occurrence in games nowadays.

and a user-friendly level editor. Yeah, terrible engine...:wallbash:[/QUOTE]

Good point.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I repeat my case, if the engine had been a bit more open and allowed for modding..Then this game would've risen beyond.

11. curme

curme Minimodder

The steath screwed me up. Even in the bushes they'd magically see me. That was annoying, and the spawning.

12. idontwannaknow

idontwannaknow What's a Dremel?

I liked the look of it, nearly bought it for a pittance in a Steam sale, then noticed that it had SecureROM, even on steam.

Sod that for a bunch of soldiers, I avoid it when I can- though sometimes get caught out.

13. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Nah, I said divisive, as in, people's opinions on it are really divided, between, "omg this game is crap crap CRAP" and "it was ok".
    I might have spelt it diverse tho, my bad

Yeah, that's what I meant by npc, a civilian, knew there was a better way of phrasing it.

14. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

I'd agree with that wholeheartedly if you'd have pointed out the mission is ALWAYS 2/3 of the way across the map, passing through umpteen repetitive armed checkpoints which you just cleared 15 minutes ago.

Oh and that shed, that shed always has the same number of guards, dependant on your skill and progress through the game. Better just hope one of them hasn't gone walkabout or you'll never get the door open.

Some of the missions are good, but you'd think fast travel was the devil's work.

If you're going to make the hardcore guys trundle around the map endlessly then so be it. But give normal human beings with normal attention spans a chance. Playing Far Cry 2 all the way to completion's worse than an MMO where you work a virtual job in your spare time.

God forbid you actually ever get to your job to do some virtual work. In Far Cry 2 you get to commute in your spare time, endlessly. It's like being a sales rep, but instead of driving up and down the M1 you spend all your time driving around the sodding lake in the middle of the map.

OK, I feel better now.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2010
  15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

So are you saying you didn't use the buses at all when you played FC2? No wonder you hated it :lol:

16. tupera

tupera What's a Dremel?

Far cry 2 was so bad I couldn’t even bring myself to finish it…even though I shelled out $50 for it.

Oh, and you forgot to mention the part where you could unload an entire clip into a man wearing nothing but a T-shirt and he would just stand there and laugh at you!

Seriously!?!

17. tupera

tupera What's a Dremel?

Stupid cut and paste...this is what it was supposed to look like:

Far cry 2 was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to finish it...even though I shelled out $50 for it.

Oh, and you forgot to mention the part where you could unload an entire clip into a man wearing nothing but a T-shirt and he would just stand there and laugh at you!

Seriously!?!

18. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

LMAO, using busses does not change the fact the game was still forgetable.

The buses didnt change the fact a lot of missions still had long repetitious trips through the same boring check points and the same tshirt wearing enemies with super fast jeeps. yawn.

19. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Most of the time the buses were miles away from the start and end points. I used them a couple of times, but it seemed like a waste of time. I guess you might avoid checkpoints that way.

20. brightlights

brightlights What's a Dremel?

I liked the overall general idea of far cry 2 but it did kinda lacked something

Tags: Add Tags