1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

No I've never ridden a Duc, what I meant was that aesthetically they just don't do it for me but then pure superbikes don't really do it for me. I'm sure they're great bikes they're just not my taste.

When you look at the pics you have to remember that it's designed for someone my size and shape i.e. someone 6'5", the figure in the pics is my size, anyone shorter than I am wouldn't have any problems. The cylinder bank that you can see is the rearmost one and even my legs should just clear it. The seat goes so far back to allow for a proper racing tuck while the front is there to provide something for your knees/thighs to grip. It's no the best design in the world but because of the position of the cylinders relative to the front of the engine (they're quite a long way back) it was the only way to make it fit.

I live on the A40, Llandovery to Brecon is my weekend ride :D

Moriquendi

2. Xir

Xir Modder

I've had more breakdowns with the Duc in the first year then in 10 years riding different Japs combined...
    But everytime I ride it I go :D and all's forgiven.

3. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

I share your pain and your enthusiasm!

Any world superbike supporters on this thread? Just wonderin cos Sundays races were amazing, anybody watchin?

4. Xir

Xir Modder

It's not as flashy as your's though :D
    [​IMG]

5. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

That's a sweet machine. I love the look of the supersports, what kinda problems have you bin having?

I had an intermittant starting issue that bugged the crap out of me for a year, had loads of parts replaced and in the end it turned out to be a dodgy wire in the loom. Was fooked for ages! All good now and I've forgiven her her misdemeanors!

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Have ridden an RC8, lovely, lovely bikes! A neighbour just traded his RC8 for an S1000RR, haven't had chance to catch up with him about it, but they are sweet as hell (despite the cock-eyed front end)! On a ride a few weeks ago I saw no less than four S1000RRs, they are clearly very popular machines (already!).

I posted a few google maps of some north welsh routes earlier in the thread; worth finding them for a look. Just make sure you do the B4391 east out of Ffestiniog :D

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Ehmmm right:
    • starting troubles (have to empty the carbs after it'sbeen standing for some time)
    • Moisture troubles...as in it didn't run after 3 days continuous rain (replaced the sparkplugcables and plug...errr...caps (whatever they're called in english) for double-waterproof NGK ones)
    • rev-meter quits working off and on (seems to be the "driver" in the head of the lower cylinderhead)
    • Wears out a battery every three years (as it's placed DIRECTLY behind the hot standing rear cylinderhead)
    • Low Fuel light doesn't work (sensor broken...guess how far from home I was when I noticed) :hehe:
    • Tank rusted through (1996 build)
    • Had to buy a second, bigger bike to place my girl AND luggage. :rock:
    • Lower Cylinder cam drivebelt sprocket errr...cotter? key? wore out just like that.
    • "Sweats" oil somewhere...everywhere really. not that it leaks, but after cleaning *bang* it's oily-black again

Have I said I love it to bits? :D

8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I didn't even have to look back to know it was going to be a Duc... :thumb:

9. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

having abit of trouble with my gsxr lately... all the clocks have stopped working.
    took it back 2 suzuki who said it was water corrosion on the plug that goes into the back of the dash, and id need a whole wiring loom 2 fix it.
    luckily ive still got a warranty so its all free, but they quoted me 580quid for the loom alone, no fitting!!!

ill have it back in time for my holiday :D riding from boston 2 west wales, thats gonna be a long day

10. Xir

Xir Modder

The older Suzuki's tend to rust heavily.

Don't know where to put Kawasaki, but qualitywise the Japs are:
    1. Honda
    2. Yamaha
    9. Suzuki ;)

(Which is still better than Ducati) :D

11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

12. Xir

Xir Modder

White second picture?

13. RTT

RTT #parp

Just realised I've done 1k miles in 5 weeks, not bad for weekend riding! Which means my rear tyre is already 25% into its useful life :blah: Also taken the screen back off the front of my bike, prefer the looks (yes, I am that vain!) without and it doesn't do that much anyway :D

14. Moriquendi

Ouch, 4000 miles? that sucks.

When I first got my bike I went through the 6k miles allowance in a couple of months.

Moriquendi

15. Xir

Xir Modder

What the heck do you people do with these tyres?

oh wait...miles...
    not too bad i guess, mine last around 5-6k.
    Going to the alps in two days!:D

16. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

my gixxer is still at suzuki, been having alot of problems with it. apparently the exhaust valve cables are knackered, and thats not warranty work !!!! 133quid for 2 cables!
    but they ordered and fitted the cables without my consent anyway.
    so right now my bike is sitting in a suzuki main dealer, broken..... bad times

17. Xir

Xir Modder

I thought all these exhaust valve guys redid the cabeling so they can open manually anyway :D

18. yatesy

yatesy What's a Dremel?

Im having a problem with my horn at the moment.
    Whenever it gets wet it stops working, and as my bike has no fairings (Triumph Speed Four), it gets wet often.

Any of you have a solution?
    I was thinking maybe electrical tape over the connectors, maybe with a liberal application of vaseline beneath? Or maybe there is a solution which is less of a hack?

Any ideas?

19. Moriquendi

Try this stuff. I used it when I was repairing the hall sensors in my engine and have used it for a charging cable covered with heatshrink.

My new helmet arrived today, just got back from my first ride with it. It's a Caberg Konda flip front in white (for 24% less chance of an accident). first impressions are that it's fantastic for the money (£116 delivered), it's quiet, easy to put on and take off and the sun visor is dark enough to make a difference (a problem with my previous HJC IS-16). Only one minor problem, the field of view doesn't seem to be quite as large as the HJC though that may just be because it's a different shape to the HJC so it feels smaller. It's probably not helped that the large size like mine is the smallest helmet in the large shell size.

Moriquendi

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  20. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

+1 on the Caberg helmets, mine isn't a flip front (don't like the feel of nothing around the jaw) but it's got the sun visor which is awesome, and they tend to get really good sharp test results http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ - 5 stars for mine :thumb: