1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your job, is it worth it!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Mr Happy, 31 Mar 2010.

1. houch

houch Minimodder

CHANGED

job title:bookkeeper
    wage: 16hrs 15k
    furture wage; i know people who earn 50k+

worth it; yes, my bro is gonna learn with me and be my partner in a bussiness venture

so happy about this, life looks great again

2. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Job: Medical student
    Wage: -3k for 4 years
    Worth it? I can't tell yet. Long terms and early mornings compared to my friends doing science degrees, but no regrets so far.

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Job Title: Digital Project Manager
    Wage: £30k+ (with commission / bonus etc)
    Worth it: Maybe, I've only just moved into this new role. The work should hopefully get a lot more interesting. Downside is you have to manage many large ego's. The upside is it allows me to save and afford my hobbies.

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

job: company proprietor, it consultant/entrepreneur
    wage: jumps about every minute. currently between 20 and 30k. max: depends, could be millions i suppose.

worth it?: Even though the hours can be dire, regularly working till 2 or 3am and then being up again at 8.30am, it's nice waking up and being at work, and being my own boss....

5. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

job: software-specific technical support
    wage: $21/hour, averaging 43 hours a week (anything over 40 pays $31.50/hour)
    worth it?: Most days, yes. I work for a very fun company, but being in support, I'm chained to my phone and don't get to participate in most of the fun spur-of-the-moment events they do, like paper airplane contests and hockey shootouts.

The customers I do support for are both a blessing and a curse. I rarely get anyone who's difficult to deal with, but no matter how bad the call, it's worth it for the story.

6. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Job: Teacher
    Wage: 'What teachers make?' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xuFnP5N2uA
    worth it?: The hours are long, I can't emphasise this enough. I could choose to use my skill in the private sector, earn more and work fewer hours but you don't get into teaching for the money (and if you did get out quickly, you'll do better elsewhere). I love my job and the people I work with everyday. It has been the most tiring, the most involving and the most rewarding job I have ever done.

7. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Job: Planner (Logistics)
    Wage: could be better, but I'm not complaining
    Worth it?: yes and no, project planning and implementation make the hours go quickly - assisting the staff with regard to projects can be frustrating especially when you have to do it 1,000,000 times!. Travel costs are starting to get a bit of a pain so may start looking to see if there is anything worthwhile in Oxford (not holding much hope in that though)

8. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Job: Carpenter/Computer repair (Self Employed)
    Wage: Varies wildly
    Worth it: Sort of, being self employed means i get to spend more time seeing my daughter grow up. But im far from happy with my current situation. Im currently trying to get on the ladder as a chef. Its wh
    at ive always wanted to be but lifes never really allowed me to give it a shot till now.
    The Dream: To be running my own restaurant by the time im 30.

9. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

job title: Technical Support/sales Engineer
    wage: 15k 40 hours
    Max wage: possibly 100k (little chance)

worth it:

not really, have been no pay rises to anyone for 2 years on the trot didnt even get an annual living raise this year, plus I am still on a trainee wage that i was on last year when I joined. didnt think id end up doing mon-fri, sat at a desk doing not a lot, mainly excel spread sheets and phone calls for selling filters. I thought I would be out in the real world fixing things and more hands on stuff.

hence why I am off to study building surveying and become professional in an area I want to work in.

10. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Just been offered a new job, so i'll do them split...

Job Title: IT Technician (High School) / IT Support Officer (council)
    Wage: Roughly £15,000 / a lot lot lot lot lot more
    Hours: 8-4 / 8-4 or 9:15 - 5:15
    Max wage: £100k +

Worth it: I'd say yes, I get to work with some fantastic people, and thanks to my boss get to do a lot more than I'm paid for. Some may see this as a bad thing, and I guess I am being short changed - but the experience I've gained has been invaluable and is one of the reasons I've been offered the new job (running my own projects along the lines of wireless links to external buildings, print monitoring and control, web filtering etc etc) I also do productions (lighting and a bit of sound) and get to come across some brilliant kids too.

That said - the lure of a huge salary and much bigger network to look after mean I'm leaving. The new job, however good / bad, will allow me to move out of my parents (crippling after living at uni for four years), keep my car, and invest in my hobby (photography) which along with a friend, I'm trying to turn into something that pays a little (or hopefully for itself).

Given the choice of being able to do anything for job satisfaction - it'd be photographer / sound engineer. However neither pay a reliable wage when you're starting out, so it's something I just couldn't commit to.

11. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Job Title: Supervisor (Burger King)
    Wage: 10p more than minimum wage
    Hours: No way near enough
    Worth it: The people I work with make it better than it really should be, but the low hours get me down a lot. I only took the job due to being unemployed due to losing an IT job in 2008 :(

Nexxo likes this.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Just got my pay rise, in 4 figures, is it worth it still? well i can leave work with a smile on my face, suppose that makes it worth it

13. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Job Title: IT support tecy student.
    Wage: ATM under £1000, when/if employed £15-20k hopefully when i start off.
    Worth it: i cant really say as im not in work with my training, but i wish i kept computers as a hobby and not a career and did something else instead, much regret.

14. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Job Title: Shop Manager/Stock Buyer/Data maintenance and pricing/Supervisory/Shop Filling/Assistant to the owner/Tech support
    Wage: NZ$30k PA before tax (US$21.8k/ GBP 14.3k/ 16.4k Euro) 40.5-46 hours (alternate weeks)
    Worth it: Hell no. Underpaid (similar positions in bigger shops pull NZ$40-50k! Working long hours, heavy lifting, PITA customers and manager... Stress isn't great either - if I stuff up the orders/pricing I could put the business under!

15. Valver

Valver I’m an AquaTuning product tester

Job Title: Business Consultant (assist in selling scientific software solutions (300K+ deals usually) by doing product demos and proofs of concepts.
    Wage: £43K + 12K bonus (if 100% target)
    Worth it: Hell yes. I work from home usually. I travel over Europe with an expense account visiting big pharma companies one or twice a month. Guys I work with are all great and techy too.

16. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Job Title: Computer Science Student (in 4 months :p)
    Wage: Tuition (free) - Beer and Food and Accommodation + Whatever I can scrounge off the parents!
    Is it worth it: 5 years in Glasgow, ie 5 years in some of the best music concerts clubs and pubs ever I think it will be!!!

17. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

Job title: Retail assistant (ie person who helps customers and does what manager tells him)
    Wage: earnt roughly 16k last year, thats with overtime and nightshift.
    Worth it: Is it f**k, grief from customers no where near as bad as the pathetic managment that my company has, shoddy managment and really bad scheduling. I've been a team leader and can honestly say (because of what the mangers that I would class as good at their job have said to me) I was better than my current manager at running the department, whilst getting half the pay if that!

18. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Job Title Police Constable
    Wage >£30k
    Worth It I am a uniformed officer but still there is too much paperwork, too much red tape, too much workload to be efficient. Luckily, I am in the '30 year' scheme and will retire with full pension at age of 52. New officers must now do 35 years. Downside, average life expectancy following retirement is 6 years apparently. Stressful job. Worth it? Yes and no.

19. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Well dude would just like to say Cheers! I have been doing volunteer youth work for the last year or so and the amount of crap Coppers get is unbelievable! So CHEERS!

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I don't have a single real job, so I'll put the two closest things I have.

Job Title University, Mathematics student
    Wage Guess
    Worth It In some ways yes, the Eureka moment is great. Maths is 9 parts banging your head of a wall, 1 part feeling awesome because you've finally solved a problem. It destroys your life though, it really does. At the start of second year I found myself regretting making so many friends in 1st year, I don't have time for them, and as a result I've lost a lot of friends. I spend 6 hours a day studying, many days it's closer to 10. If I have coursework or anything over and above the weekly standard minimum, it can go up to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, until that stuff is done. It really ruins your life in many ways.

On the flip side, I love doing something so challenging, and I know that I couldn't give it up. Also, money prospects post-university should be fairly good.

Job Title Officer Cadet, Territorial Army
    Wage About £38 a day
    Worth It Definitely. The pay isn't up to much, if you do 24 hours in the field, there is no way you're going to get through it by thinking how much they're going to pay you. But the OTC has given me some of the best experiences I've had while at uni, despite the fact that it takes away some of my precious weekends and holidays. You get to learn soldiering, you get to fire boomsticks, and you get paid to spend time with a group of people you become very very close with. Probably most of all, it's pushed me so far beyond what I thought I could do, physically and mentally - learning how much you're capable of if you really push is something I appreciate a great deal.