1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NEC announces new phase-change cooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 May 2010.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I can't see how a single fan on a tiny radiator is going to beat watercooling set ups. What are these numbers based on? It's all ********. What loop are they comparing this too, at what cost?

Phase change may have the upper hand in terms of getting the heat from the chips quickly, but I can't for the life of me figure out how they expect to get rid of as much heat as my triple radiator and three Gentle Typhoons.

I guess we will have to see.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh, I like the sound of this!

I hope they also start making self-contained GPU aftermarket coolers.

3. DaMightyMouse

DaMightyMouse What's a Dremel?

If is more efficient, less cumbersome and affordable then WC setups then yes I want one! But without any independent testing I won't get my hopes up just yet...

4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/VaporX/VaporX_index.aspx?cid=2

I've no idea what the hell that means - it's late and all my brain returns is: chickens!

God damned chicken rice I had for dinner. :(

5. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Well the final question is a bit messed up, sure it looks promising and tempting but without independent testing we can't be sure if it's that good because we always know that companies hype a lot about their new products being the new "shabang" in town.

So, BT be the first to have your hands on that product and proceed with your independent testing that we care so much for, okay? tata xD

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

don't think this is meant for extreme OC or heavy duty cooling. Looks like the first products are a "good enough" solution for servers and rack mounts where noise and overall wattage are a concern. lowering the energy draw by 70% on a cooling solution is significant when you have a server room with 100+ blades.

if the working fluid doesn't boil until 50 deg c don't expect some miracle cooling a few degrees above ambient.

7. Cepheus

Cepheus What's a Dremel?

Guys, they aren't talking about home PCs, where air cooling is far more efficient. They're talking about server rooms, where to cool efficiently you need titanic air con systems or heat removal things. Even cheap, non-rackmount servers have Delta fans in (i've got a 92mm fan that's rated at 100cfm from about ten years ago, ripped from an old server.

Remember, they're trying to cool about a hundred pcs in the same size room as you cool one or two.

In bulk, this could work very well.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Looks like Thermaltake, if they ever get around to releasing their 4 bay phase cooler has some competition then.

9. dec

dec [blank space]

Its just water. Because of the low pressure the water's boiling point is lowered and the time it takes to boil (when in perfect thermal contact with a constant head source) is also lowered. Which are both good as the specific heat of water remains constant, the faster it can boil and condense the more energy per unit time can be transferred away from the heat source. A lower boiling point also means that the water contains less ambient heat (temperature) during the heat (energy) transfer.

Ideally you would want to have the lowest pressure possible and a fluid with a very high heat capacity and low boiling point (at atmospheric pressure). Theoretically you can get to sub-ambient temps that way.

Butttttt if the pressure is too low your vapor chamber will collapse and ruin your day

10. loner1994

loner1994 oc newbe (sort of)

the thing is herte they are talking about saving 70% of the cooling power cost. thats only about 20w per blade and as the blade is using around 300w-400w (asuming dual cpu) that actualy a masive 6% total power save.

just as a side note ithis just removes the heat from the cpu so youle sill need some killer fans to get the heat away for good.

i have degigned a theoretical system that could save 81% of the entire system power draw and if i can get that working then you can celabrate

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

It is a good thing that inventors didnt have the internet back in the day, they would have posted on a forum "Using steam to do work", and all the people would have posted (erroneously) "That thing will blow up" "Water cant do that" "You must have spent too much time in a steam super heated room, noob!".

Give it a break guys, this is a great idea for data centres and eventually single PCs. Being skeptical without reason does not make you cool, it makes you look like a troll. Being skeptical and using the scientific method (and selling your invention for 15 billion euros) is cool.

Enjoy,
    S*D

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I should have paid more attention in thermofluids

13. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

It still uses a small radiator, energy in = energy out.

14. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I could be wrong but I thought there was an energy loss with Latent heat during phase change conversions. So matter changing phases is inherently not 100% efficient (which would be a good thing for a cooling device as the energy is converted into kinetic energy.

I could be wrong though.

How does this differ from a heat pipe? I thought they did passive phase change too?

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct...
    Still the question remains, why does it work upside down and wouldn't the performance be better the other way round?
    It doesn't :D
    Ah...well, a second effect takes place: capillary effect.
    Appearently (I've never opened one) the inside of a heatpipe is ribbed, so the fluid will go from the "cold" part where it condenses to the "hot" part were it vaporizes even against gravity.
    I guess...(again haven't opened one) this is how the Vapour-X chamber works as well.

you can test this by pouring just a bottom of coffee in a cup and stacking three lumps of sugar...the coffee will move up against gravity (till the sugar collapses)

Heatpipes used to be tested in different orientations, and I would still expect them to work best when "hot" is down and "cold" is up....
    Testbenches are built this way instead of the normal "sideways" position in an ATX case...coincidence? :D

16. Xir

Xir Modder

17. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

CFC's? Wasn't using CFC's banned in fridges etc as it was damaging the environment when they got old, rusted, and released the CFC's into the atmosphere?

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye - which is why NEC are using CFC-replacements, rather than CFCs. Most of the performance, fewer of the "OMG TEH ENVIRONMENTZORZ" issues.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

If this ever came to desktops at a decent price most would jump for it

high end water cooling is still very expensive, for little to no benifit over the cheaper water coolers( you need huge oveclocks )

if this is Down In the Titan fenrir price range could be fun.

20. Santa-san

Santa-san A friendly person

chlorofluorocarbon? Sounds dangerous ^^; I think it is cool with new inventions, like that thing from Danamics, don't remember the name atm

Tags: Add Tags