1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple explains why no Flash on iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Apr 2010.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yes, but you don't have the videos to prove it.

Yes, in 1984. It looked like this, but kudo's for being the first. Nine years later though PSION brought out the Psion 3. Oh, look, it is a ickle little laptop-a-like with a tiny screen and keyboard and separate apps.

The same year Apple brought the Newton MessagePad 100. Touch screen, handwriting recognition, active input interpretation and integral data sharing across apps (the calendar can refer to names in the address book; a note in the notepad can be converted to an appointment, and so forth). Aftermarket add-ons integrated seamlessly into existing apps.

Now, which represents a new benchmark in technology?

'nuff said.

If anything, the popularity of the iPad will probably encourage an HTML5 standard as websites scramble to cater to this device. Which in a way is not a bad thing.

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I certainly don't have videos, but I certainly can write scripts and buy a video camera. And that's ALL you'd get from me about this issue again! :X

And as for the Psion vs Newton, which is known as the UNSURPASSED PDA?

And as about the popularity of the iPad pushing HTML5 standard, that wasn't what I was referring to - I was talking more about how 30+% of the internet (firefox + opera users) will be locked out when non Ogg HTML5 is used. It is after all, most likely that HTML5 will be mainly used for video - sure, most of us here might use Flash for games and etc, but for the general public? Youtube.

Well, more than 50% will be locked out because IE supports nothing, but that's not really the point. Microsoft will support H264 codec, as evident by one of the blogposts by an employee.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It really isn't a bad thing at all. Most of us are at an agreement that HTML5 is superior to Flash, I believe. It's just a matter of the in between.

This analogy fits well to what I'm getting at. There's plenty of Flash based fuel out there, and now we're getting more and more HTML5 fuel entering into the mix as well, offering better miles to the gallon at the same or less cost. This gets to be a slight problem when shiny new motors in iDevices only take HTML5-fuel and users can't just fill their tanks/browsers with Flash-fuel and drive off when their preferred website has no HTML5-fuel pumps.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

And if Nokia wins their lawsuit against Apple, it'd really put the hurt on Jobs.

6. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Oh come on?
    I don't know one person who likes Macs that know a single thing about computers, 90% of Mac users think its pretty, and just look at their in your face marketing.

That is not a mature comment its more a less fact. And i can almost say this for definite as i went to an art college. So i got used to the snobbery about Apple.

You can use your restrictive Mac but ill stay with my PC which does alot more than yours. And is half the price.

7. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

It wasn't a simple switch, as i said in one of the other comments, i've been using my quad box as win7/hackintosh for few months before i decided to buy a macbook pro. I found myself using quad with win7 less and less and then i sold it. I play games (if i've got time) on ps3. and my development and photo work is now done on macbook pro which does the job perfectly. I've given up on constant upgrades, my pc box used to cost me roughly £700 a year to keep it up to date. I guess that macs don't 'age' that quickly or at least i don't feel any need for an upgrade, i must admit that most of my pc upgrades where on the gaming side (gfx, psu...).

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

You know why?

There's no games for the Mac.

9. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

You know that is factually incorrect...you'll also know that it's going to be even more incorrect on 12th May when Steam launches for the mac.

The idea that most mac users don't know anything about computers is spurious at best, however, if true it would actually be a positive thing - mac users don't really need to know about computers because they don't spend half their life fixing problems. I'm sure there are more people like me who switched to the mac because they just can't be bothered with the hassle anymore.

10. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Yes - because Mac has so many games Apple had to introduce Boot Camp.

AND, my statement was made for dramatism. If I went

It'd have defeated my deadpan/heard all your arguments/sick of it tone. Or as much of a tone one can bring across in words.

Seriously, you Mac users seem to see any negative comment, even one made in jest, as something very BAAAAD.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

:thumb:

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Really? Reeaallllyyy?

Well then, if we're going to get all semantic and dickish, Steam releasing for Mac OS (after all, the operating system is the deciding factor as to whether or not the game will run, not the hardware) will not make him "more incorrect" (last I checked there were only two possible states: correct or incorrect.) because Steam is not a game. The various games which will be available on Steam make him "more incorrect".

13. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

There is a huge difference between wanting to fix problems, and enjoying/caring enough to know exactly how what you built/bought is working. Every Mac user THAT I HAVE HAD PERSONAL CONTACT WITH has no idea what is in the machine they spent so much money on, they have no idea what the difference between RAM and Harddisk space is, the difference between application software and an Operating system. They are, hugely, ignorant, and choose to be. They buy their machine for looks, and because the ads on TV told them that it was a better product.

I don't know a single Mac user who could tell you the reason that they bought the hardware configuration they did, other than it was the cheapest/most expensive spec Mac they could buy... :wallbash:

14. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

now you know me :) - well, not in person of course

there's no point to do this mac vs pc. everybody uses what's good for them. i prefer gaming on consoles and prefer to have a portable computer with really good battery and enough performance to run what i use (aperture is the most demanding app i'm using on it). I just got tired of building rigs, tweaking them and do all those things to keep the tamagochi alive. just got tired and can't be bothered any more.

15. Volund

For the sake of my sanity, and to avoid getting my anus ripped out by people who wish to disagree with my statements, I only refer to people who I know in real life, and who I have spoken to at length about technology.

16. Nexxo

I hear that the moon landings were faked too! I mean, they gotta be, right? Right? :rolleyes:

The PalmPilot? :p But we were talking about technological progress, remember?

Market forces being what they are, either websites will cater to the most popular browsers, or browsers will cater to the most popular standards. Expect non-Ogg HTML5 to be incorporated into Firefox and Opera soon. And IE will be forced to catch up if it does not want to lose even more of its already dwindling share to Firefox and the likes.

There are fewer games for the Mac. There are fewer graphic design and audio programs for the PC. Your point? It's horses for courses.

You know, there is this whole world out there, called Real Life, where people work with computers because they need to do tasks that can only reasonably be done with computers... for who computers are tools, just like, say, cars are a mode of transport.

They are not like us geeks, who lovingly poke and mod and upgrade and build our own personal machine, as a reflection of our interests and personality. They don't care about what is the latest graphic card and how many texture units and ROPs it has. If they want to play games, they buy a console. The choice of which, incidentally, is determined by the games it allows them to play, not the technical specs of the console itself.

Just as some people are not Max Power readers preoccupied with aftermarket air filters and engine tuning chips, big bore exhausts, low profile wide alloys and ICE with subwoofers in the boot, but just want a car for, you know, going to work and shopping, that runs reliably and economically and if it can play their favorite CD that's kind of nice as well, so there are also people who don't care what a computer looks like on the inside, as long as it does the job they want it to do reliably.

Some people just want to turn the key and go, and not have to do anything more technical than fill the tank every week. They are not inferior beings. They are pragmatic people who know what they need, are happy with whatever fills that need reliably, and don't get precious about it because to them it's just a tool. They may get precious about other things like wine, or gardening, or sports because everybody has their own interests and passions; it is just that technology is not one of them. That doesn't mean they don't wash their car every weekend, or didn't buy one in Racing Green because they liked the colour. Just because a car is a tool doesn't mean you don't want it to look smart.

So yeah, there will be people who buy a Mac because it is easy to use (and sorry but compared to a PC it is), does not look like an intimidating eyesore on their desk and does the job they want it to do, and they don't really know what goes on inside the thing. And there is nothing wrong with that.

And frankly, mate, I do not have to go too far on these forums to meet with some real ignorance on PCs, even amongst modders. I mean, how many of you really know how a CPU works? I mean, really works? Can you write assembly code? Can you explain how to write a really tight config.sys and autoexec.bat file like we used to in the good old days and why it was important to do so? Can you tell me what a Landing Zone is? Or a Bernoulli Drive? No peeking now...

gavomatic57 likes this.
  17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah dos was fun.. config.sys the trick was to load everything into high memory using emm386 and load the cd rom drivers ect..

the thing with apple is they do overcharge and you can have a comparable rig for much less if you build it yourself.. not saying apple users aren't smart, I mean you obviously use computers to get things done.. but in general I always go back to this guy I seen walk into radio shack and say 'I'm an idiot.. I don't know anything about vcr's.. please tell me exactly what I need to buy to get it working'

true story.. and he was wearing a trench coat and looked all business like.. there's your apple customer in the flesh nexxo :D

18. Nexxo

It's a smart man who acknowledges his limitations. ;)

Some people can't build their own rig, or are simply not interested in learning how to do so. They just want a quality rig that is easy to use, reliable and does not look like it has been hit with the ugly stick (and to be honest, a lot of PCs offend my aesthetic sensibilities). They are prepared to pay a premium for that. So what?

I'm sure I could build my own car, but do I want to? Or do I want a decent ride that looks smart, is reliable, does the job and I just have it serviced once a year? For some people, cars are a hobby. For others it's a mode of transport. Computers are the same deal.

19. Volund

I feel you took my comment slightly out of context Nexxo,

I am a firm believer in having at least a basic knowledge about the products I use, people who want things to "just work", aka the "magic smoke" folks, are in my opinion idiots. People need to have at least some small bit of self reliance.

Can I build an internal combustion engine from scratch? No I can't, but I drive a car, and I can change a tire, change my air filters, fluids, etc. I know the basic parts of the drive train, and have a basic knowledge of how and why they work.

Do I know how to work dos? No, I don't, as I have never used it, or have had any need to. If, at some point, I do use it, I will learn.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If we're going to go with personal experience, then I could equally tell you that all the hardcore Mac zealots I know absolutely do know what hardware is in their computer, how it all works, what each part is for, etc. They chose to go with a Mac because it's a good looking system (most of them are laptop users), rarely ever crashes, runs quickly on modest hardware, has a short upgrade cycle, doesn't need anti-virus subscriptions or monthly updates to fix holes in the OS that have been there for over 10 years, does not require maintenance/cleaning of the OS after a year in order to keep it running smoothly, etc... In fact, most of the Mac users I have ever encountered have been more knowledgeable that the average home PC user I encountered (I used to work in retail tech support - no, not in PC World, it was an independent store where we didn't B.S. people or oversell).

Does this make my argument better or my opinion "more right" than yours? No. Does this make your argument better? No. Macs are just different to PCs. They are not inherently better or worse; it is simply a different product with it's own strengths and weaknesses. Who gives a toss if you can't open the box and tinker? The vast majority of people simply don't care about doing that.

Apple might have a better marketing department than Microsoft or Dell, but that doesn't mean that their customers are sheep that swallow everything that is shoved in their face. Stating that Mac users are simply idiots who have to have their choices dictated to them is a testament to the arrogant and smug superiority of PC users. And you wonder why the Apple crowd is so vocal in their own defense?

Tags: Add Tags