1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Pete J's 3x SLI 480 Review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 1 May 2010.

1. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

i feel lucky - mines LinX stable at 4 with HT on. (1.3 vcore in BIOS, 1.288 under load)

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just a small update:

Well, I've played through Crysis on tweaked 'Extreme' settings, awesome fun! Even the final battle was bloody smooth, allowing me to run and gun quite happily.

I've now moved onto Warhead and have tweaked the settings again (some of the default settings are actually quite a bit higher than the original :jawdrop: ). Without AA enabled, the game was using up 1300+MB VRAM. With 2xAA, the VRAM usage sits between 1480 and 1520MB. And it's all delivered at 40-60FPS :cooldude:

@barndoor101: Have you considered turning HT off and seeing how much further you can get?

Last edited: 4 May 2010
  3. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

nah - 4ghz is a nice round number. i wont try for more before i realise my water-cooling plans (6 months or so).

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

My Point Of View GTX 480 arrived today, Installed and played some Assasins creed and yes it does run hotter than my GTX275 but no louder and smooth.
    Might get another for sli :clap::clap:

Pete J likes this.
  5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hehe bums you know you don't give a fack.. burn it up you guys are clinically insane =]

6. Teelzebub

You got that right might get a couple for my mantelpiece or should I say mentalpiece just for decoration :lol:

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If you have the money to spare, DO IT! You've seen the figures. Try and put a slot gap between them if you can - that is enough to keep them operating at normal temperatures.
    I know what you mean! They are really nice looking cards!

Edit: I see you're keeping a 250 for PhysX. You may want to try benchmarking with and without it - these cards EAT PhysX and the 250 may be slowing things down!

Last edited: 5 May 2010
  8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I like pete's 'CAN play crysis' XD

9. Teelzebub

Just been playing assasins creed in 3D great fun :hehe:

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Must say i'm impressed with the bravery with the tests, but i guess it's no different to people running the old GX2 cards from the past, or, like me, a dual PCB 295.
    I think i'm going to have to start saving for a 480 now, and a waterblock.

Sam

Ninja Edit, £70 for a 480 EK waterblock isn't that bad really, cheaper than i thought.

11. Teelzebub

I was thinking that water was the way to go if noise was a problem myself.
    But tbh with one GTX480 it's not any louder than the 275 even when gaming.
    Two well we shall see soon.
    I would have to say go for it.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

That's a bloody good price, I was expecting ~£120 for the first ones (for absolutely no reason at all).

13. Teelzebub

Pete what temps are you getting on those cards??
    I was checking the temps on mine with gpu-z last night and was getting 52c on idle!
    And while gaming the fan speed hardly changed and temps where around 60c which I thought had to be wrong, So I checked by touching it and it wasn't that hot??
    I know that case has really good airflow since I altered the way the harddrives mount and added another front fan but this not what I was expecting :)
    I'm really surprised at those temp though :)
    I might take the 250 out and see what happens then ??

Last edited: 6 May 2010
  14. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Yes they do, Arma 2 and Stalker COP returns higher average FPS with an SSD, because the game constantly draws on loading files from the HDD, these are most apparent in the hiccups and freezes, or black screen pauses.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81161

15. Teelzebub

Well Pete just ordered the second Point of View GTX480 for me SLI :) Should be able to play Peggles on high settings now :lol:

Just two more to get for my mentalpiece :lol:

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The problem is that I run a dual screen stet up, meaning that GPU 1 is always running flat out. I've set up a custom fan profile that keeps the fan at 60% (a bearable low hum for me) at idle: GPU 1 is at 70C whereas GPU2 is at 45C; GPU3 at 41C. At these temps the 'grill' is quite cool, barely above ambient.

Glad to hear you're getting another 480 - you'll definitely notice the difference!
    Jaysus! And it's not a small difference either! I actually have ARMA 1+2 but have yet to play them (I got them very cheap a while ago). At the end of the day, I can't be bothered to reinstall everything. SSDs will have to wait for my next rig, probably at least four years away.