1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First build up tp £1500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poollard, 7 May 2010.

1. poollard

poollard What's a Dremel?

Budget:im wanting to spend up tp £1500 max on a new build this includes everything exept monitor and mice (unless i have money left over to add them in) i am planning on buying around august though thats when i will have the money to get it.

Main uses of intended build: gaming uni work and adobe cs4 suite (photoshop etc) maybe some 3D modeling if i get into it
    Parts required:
    case: Antec Twelve Hundred
    NIC: Edimax EW-7727In 150mbps 11n wireless PCI adapter
    RAM: 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.65V (not to sure about this)
    CPU cooler: Titan Fenrir
    PSU: 650W Antec True Power New
    HDD: samsung spinpoint f3
    Optical drive: Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 12x DVD±R, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, SATA, Black, OEM
    GPU: 1GB Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X OC, PCI-E 2.0, 5GHz GDDR5, GPU 875MHz, 1600 Cores, 2x DVI-I/ DP/ HDMI
    CPU: Intel Core i7 930
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Previous build information (list details of parts): had a prebuilt from PC world (that was before i got into computers more
    Monitor resolution: if i have the money as long as its full HD and about 22" im ok
    Storage requirements: 1TB
    Will you be overclocking: yes
    Any motherboard requirements: nope
    Extra information about desired system: i just want it to be the best i can get for that amount of money

this is my first build and first time overclocking so any tips for me are welcome.

thankyou for reading my post :rock:

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Dont think you need any tips mate as your system is spot on.

3. poollard

thanks Ph4ZeD i wasnt to sure if that would be about right so thought i should ask you guys you look like you no alot more than me. :blush:

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

He is right, it is spot on, personally I am jealous :thumb:

5. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

It is a great rig, only thing I would comment on (and thats only if you want to save money) is the case. Do you need the 1200? (It is huge by the way) The Antec 902 will save you money, fit everything and is still a very good cooler!

In terms of the overclocking, there was a post on bit-tech a while back on overclocking the i5 750 (I think) which you can use the same rough methods for. It was pretty comprehensive and helped me a lot for my first proper OC. Otherwise just ask at the time and about a million people will be more than happy to help :D

Its a great build, enjoy building it :D

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

+1

Have fun building it!

7. Danny

Danny What's a Dremel?

Very nice rig indeed, have fun building it.

8. poollard

yeah i no its huge :D thats why i like it i plan on keeping the case for a good while

thankyou all for liking the build i guess that all that time researching it came handy but i rearly didnt think that it would be nearly perfect thanks again :thumb:

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

If your building a computer for the first time, then you can't do enough research. If you have any issues with the build, check back and we'll help you out.

10. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Might sound like a picky complaint, but do you need wireless on a gaming rig? Wired connections are much more reliable for the sort of fast-paced play that PC gaming's associated with.

Aside from that, nothing to report. :)

11. mr_ace

mr_ace What's a Dremel?

if you're ordering from scan, get their installation insurance, it's only £10, which will be very re-assuring when you're handleing very expensive componenets, expecially if it's your first build.

If you know someone with PC building experience, you should get them to give you a hand too

12. poollard

yeah i do my router is 2 rooms away they are not big but i cant trail wires around that so it has to be wireless :/

13. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

just to say I have the same issue. At Uni I can not be directly wired to the router via ethernet so use wireless and as the houses are pretty small and the wireless devices are good I cant say I notice a difference gaming. At least I still always have one of lowest pings on the server, I dont get random spikes of lag, and dont seem to get any packet loss

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Powerline ethernet?

15. poollard

i dont rearly like powerline ethernets i would much rather just have a wireless card there doesnt seem ike anything is wrong with it

16. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

+1 on the scan insurance!!!!!!!!!

personally I've managed to build systems without serious issues (including ramming a screwdriver through a mb when fitting a heat sync) but 10 quid is nothing compared to the loss of a component.

my changes - which you can ignore :)

case: Antec Twelve Hundred

not a great case for modding and quite pricey, personally I'd go for the big haf if you need the space - as your buying august the haf x will be out + some special stuff.

good choice as to download the os would be illegal

PSU: 650W Antec True Power New

go for a 850... I know you wont use it today but when you go dual card in a year for half the price of a new single card you'll be glad you did.

GPU: 1GB Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X OC, PCI-E 2.0, 5GHz GDDR5, GPU 875MHz, 1600 Cores, 2x DVI-I/ DP/ HDMI

go stock, if you want overclock you can buy a cooling solution that will take you further... also look at the gtx470 and a custom cooler - 20% overclock will take it past the 5870

CPU: Intel Core i7 930

take the discount on the 920

Tags: