1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Does anyone really need a 1Kw PSU?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 May 2010.

1. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

thats where your making a mistake just like any other average joe who thinks a bigger number is better - its not about how many watts a PSU can kick out - its about the quality of components that go into making it. my corsair 750HX costs over twice as much as yours because bigger doesnt always = better. you may think your getting a great kick ass deal but in reality that cheap PSU could go boom well below its stated spec. & thats not something that happends once in a bluemoon, there are manufacturers there some big ones & small ones that deliberately lable a PSU 850w when really it can only do 700 at the most, stuff like this happends a lot with cheaper brands.

there are loads of guides on the net that tell you which manufacturer you can trust & which one to stay away from. I know some PSUs can be very very expensive but think of it as insurance - because if a bad PSU cant keep voltage regulated it could well 'blow up' & cause an outage that will spike & in most cases, kill your hardware. & thats something you dont want to happen. so i know it puts a dent in your wallet but a decent PSU especially a bronze/silver/gold rated one will save for a fair few quid on bills & also hassle from having to RMA dead hardware if its still under warranty.

I must insist that you do read some of the guides because i cant stress how important it is if your choosing to build a really expensive machine.

2. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

You should have at least 100 watts to spare on your rig. As far as GPU's eating up PSU's I some how feel I'm the only one who appreciates ATi for making powerful GPU's that are cool, quiet, and energy friendly as I don't want that gasoline burning, terrorist oil supporting, nuclear heat producing, jet engine for a fan GTX 480 any where near my rig as I currently can't afford to build a Nuclear Reactor in my basement to power a SLI config or build a dam to water cool the stupid thing.

3. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

A PSU is like a car. If you buy a car with a top speed of 80mph and run it at 70mph all day, it'll wear down quickly and break quickly. Buy a car that does 150mph, and 70mph is a breeze. Same thing applies to PSUs.

I'm planning on running a 920 d0 and 2x 5850s on a 600W Enermax Modu 87+ Gold rated supply, as that's around 550W OC'ed, and I've seen upper wattage testing showing it's actual limit is around the 670W mark.

4. cdb

cdb No comment

All the 80plus graphs I looked at showed 50% load was the most efficient for electricity consumed from the wall.

For that reason I bought an OCZZ1000m to run at 50% (or close) load and 90.93% efficiency on my pc that can pull 500-550W most of the time.

I prefer the car analogy as well and like to think of my psu cruising along all day not chucking out loads of heat, compared to a smaller psu running at 90%+ load all day.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what PC have you got? even 3x gtx480 will struggle to pull 500w at idle, where idle is most PC's will spend most of its time.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I have a Antec True Power Trio 550w...

Works for my rig, plus it can support another HD4850 if I so desire.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I need a 1KW PSU because I'm running run a massive overclock on a quad core CPU, three dual core graphics cards, 6 GB of overclocked, overvolted RAM and two liquid cooling pumps.

8. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

i use 1k watt but i use 2 5970 and 12 gd of ram and i just put the new intel 980 oc to 5 mhz

9. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

p.s it all watercooled

10. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

Seriously, I replied here just for you so I hope you feel special. Cyberpower was implying that for an average system ideally 50% load is what you should go for, obviously a Quad-SLI GTX 480 System is not an Ideal Average system and therefore the requirements are not equal to an Average Gamer PC I'm taking an educated guess that he posted the video to answer the "Does anyone need a 1000w+ Power Supply".

For gosh darn diddly (Watching the Simpsons :p) at least put some form of effort into making your Sentence? Paragraph? somewhat understandable. I stopped reading your post shortly after the 3k PSU comment as it was harming my eyes by reading it.

PS: I do however disagree with what Cyberpower said, 65% is a decent number with most of my builds being around 75%, my typical Power Supply age is around 3 - 5 years after which it's replaced with a more efficient / quieter model or it blows up because it's made by Rosewill.

Last edited: 8 May 2010
  11. cdb

cdb No comment

Self built. I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz, 6GB ram, HAF 932 case, 2 hdds, 3 8800Gt gpus (was 4 but one died) running folding 24/7 so is never idling.

12. Unicorn

You mean 5 GHz.

13. Unicorn

You need to chill out, think about what you're saying and visit the grammar and spelling thread in general whilst you're at it.

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Sorry. Forgot that most fools on the internet don't understand the subtleties of sarcasm. I apologize for overlooking your intellect.

15. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

How did you manage to downclock that CPU to 5 MegaHertz?:jawdrop:

16. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

And to think I can't run my fairly old rig on a 620W PSU :( Damn hard drives.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Wow. I didn't know PSUs inspired so much rage in people...

At the end of the day, provided the PSU is a high quality model, who cares if someone has a PSU that could power a system three times over? I agree with Borandi; A PSU that isn't run flat out will survive much longer - it's just basic engineering logic.

18. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Not often I agree with PeteJ*, but he's right... let's tone down the rage a bit plz

19. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Corsair TX750W is a very good PSU, I have two, wish i'd gone for the HX range though, as I have cables all over the place and no good places to put them, in Coolermaster HAF 922.

20. [- pio -]

[- pio -] Minimodder

That's not megahertz, it's millihertz! :lol: Five computational operations every 17 minutes :D

Tags: Add Tags