1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 EA: Crysis 2 is 'Halo killer'

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Warrior24_7, 7 May 2010.

1. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Since there won't be a new Halo title launching at the same time as Crysis 2 this year and the fact the Bungie left the M$ fold and probably won't be making another Halo game, the statment rings hollow. But this has been said before...by EA with the first Crysis, tried before, and failed before, only time will tell.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245479

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Um, when did EA say that the original Crysis was going to be a Halo killer? I doubt they did as it was a PC exclusive?

EDIT: Also, I've read your link, and nowhere do EA say "Crysis 2 IS a Halo killer." They said their AIM was to craft a Halo killer. Does anything in your post come near the truth at all?

Last edited: 7 May 2010
  3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

any PC fps for the past 20 years has been a bloody halo killer.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i personally don't really think Crysis will be halo killer, Halo is like Battlefield, it's fun, playing Crysis Wars wasn't even as fun as Call of Duty.

5. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Deus ex was a halo killer.

pimonserry likes this.
  6. omicron

omicron Baud.

Never understood the hype surrounding Halo, it really is the dullest game on earth.

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Halo is naff, most FPS's on the pc kill it! HL1 was far better and came before it!

8. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Very true. Never rated Halo, but then a lot of 360 users thought Gears of War was good.

9. Warrior24_7

The fact that Halo is even mentioned with that kind of reverence from EA is an honor in and of itself, to that game's legendary status! Whats funny is that you NEVER hear the term "Crysis killer", EA doesn't even use that term and it their game! So far every single game that has used the term "Halo killer" has failed to live up to it! The original Crysis was a failure and ended up being a punchline more than anything else, even though it was the best the PC had to offer. This will fail as well. Halo was an exclusive! Crysis 2 will launch across all platforms, so it's TRUE target should be COD: MW2! If it fails (again) to live up to the hype, I just wonder what excuses they'll come up with. With Gears of War 3, the new Medal of Honor and Bungie's new game on the horizon it will be test ed. Being "pretty" is enough on the PC, but not enough on the console...we'll see.

10. bob

bob What's a Dremel?

What do you mean by "halo killer"? Sold more units? Then I'm sure the Call of Duty games have overtaken the halo series.

Crysis is a better game than most people give it credit for (better than halo!).

11. wyx087

wow, nice medium sized wall of text, Warrior24_7

i don't think gunsmith agree with your "original crysis was a failure" statement. and not every game wants to be compared to Halo, EA only said it (just like Crysis 2 writer said MW2 story was crap) to gain publicity. Halo is a household name just like Call of Duty or FIFA or Need for Speed, commercial success does not mean it will be a good game.

they are different kinds of shooters, realistic shooters that require tactics and planning such as Crysis and Battlefield. or Halo/Modern Warfare type arcade shooters that pistols can be used to snipe, assault rifles can be pin point accuracy. i personally think it's pointless to even consider to compare those two types of games.

12. Warrior24_7

I don't give a damn what gunsmith agrees with, numbers don't lie, the game played and sold like $h!t. What is he, you daddy or something? Halo beatdown Crysis so completely that Crytek gave up on PC only and went multi-platform! By EA even saying something like that, means that they've recognized what Halo has achieved in the minds of gamers and they "know" it was a superior product to their own! Thats like all the "WoW killers" that always fail to in their quest to topple the king of the genre. Nobody is trying to make a "Crysis killer". Hell Crytek isn't trying to make a Crysis killer!

Then what does commercial success mean? If the "majority" of people find it desireable and fun, then it's a success! That like saying blue jeans aren't a success because you like to walk around in a thong and bedroom slippers. Halo 3, MW2, COD 4, Gears of War 1 & 2, Killzone 2 ALL outsold Crysis. According to the PC gamers here, people don't even know about Crysis so how can the game even be in the same league with a household great?!!

Really now? So I guess being in a monkey suit, turning invisible and punching people over a building is tactical planning? Have you ever even touched and assault rifle? How about a pistol? C'mon talk about something you actually know about. It's an FPS it CAN be compared, EA wants it to be and so does Crytek. We'll see.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So what are you arguing?

The Crytek never said it was, only EA's ad reps. Even if it wasn't, quality is subjective. And different strokes for different people, some hated Halo, some loved it, although it sold well that has no real indication of it's quality:

Ala, EA's Football games which are the same every year. Or let's say...Bioshock 2?

14. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

There are many things in this world that dont get the recognition they deserve, mostly this comes down to advertising,

All the games you mentioned may have outsold crysis but that doesnt mean they are better games, just that they were more successful on a commercial scale, iirc crysis wasnt a flop though and sold well just not as well as was hoped.

Personally i believe this was because when crysis launched there was the whole stigma of not having a comp powerful enough to actually run it.

Crysis iss known thoughout the PC community as it was only on the PC, Console gamers arent going to know about it are they as they've never had the chance to play it.

15. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Of course Halo sold more - selling average games to console gamers is like shooting fish in a barrel. If Modern Warfare 2 showed us anything its that console gamers will buy anything, regardless of how good it is. Crysis wiped the floor with Modern Warfare 2 in terms of quality, enjoyment, plot, graphics, length, price, but it just didn't sell as well because it dared to push graphics forward, almost beyond the graphics cards available at the time.

Nobody is making a Crysis killer because it's a risk...and there's a recession going on.

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I think that most seasoned pc gamers all agreed that halo was fun, but it's not actually a very good game. Much like the NFS series for the last few games, household name, sells brilliantly, bit crap.

Look at something like Deus Ex, openly referred to by just about any reviewer, magazine, games site, or player as arguably the best game of all time, it definitely features on almost everyone's top 5 - yet you mention it to the average console gamer, or most gamers under 18, they've never heard of it! Yet it's a far bigger success than Halo.

Hollywood is built on this - massive block busters that are 'huge', but they're never actually very good, although they are the ones that will achieve 'legendary status' with the fickle masses until the next fad comes along.

There isn't a proper PC gamer alive that seriously believes Halo to have been that good - it simply can't touch a game like the original HL which game out a long time prior, suggesting that it's never
    been a good game.

oh and all of the games mentioned - Halo 3, MW2, COD 4, Gears of War 1 & 2, Killzone 2 - are very average or just poor.

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My rabid fanboy/idiot detector is going haywire at Warrior24_7 posts.

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

But when they say Halo-killer, I don't think they mean in terms of the quality of the game, they mean sales (because that's all they care about at the end of the day). It's not hard to make a better game than Halo - Crytek have already done it a couple of times before - but taking on an established franchise when you're new to the platform is a daunting task. While I'm sure there's plenty of console gamers who are glad to see it come to their platform, the vast majority probably aren't even aware of its existence next to something like Halo.

October likes this.
  19. wyx087

as almost all other people above me mentioned, commercial success mostly comes down to marketing. it's like Intel's Atom is terrible while selling bucket loads. being a commercial success does not, in any way, mean it is a quality game.

the masses (especially most of the console crowd who are less dedicated to gaming, eg. don't read reviews, buy if DVD case cover looks fun) will buy anything with a familiar name infront of it, Halo just happen to be familiar because previous good console FPS's are discontinued for a long time (Perfect Dark, Golden Eye)

please go play Battlefield Bad Company 2 with your Halo or MW2 play style, i'd love to see a video of you failing. same with Crysis, go watch gunsmith's Ironman walkthrough, totally different gameplay to CoD or Halo series.

20. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Like I said Wuy, Warrior does seem to be a retard. By his measures, Hitler was a fantastic success due to the number of people that followed him.

Silver51 and Gunsmith like this.