1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Iron Man how close are we to that technology??

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 9 May 2010.

1. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

You're gonna beat me to it by like...2 weeks. Damn.

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

As long as it's not an Duke Nukham style release date. Whereby Q3 2010 will mean Q4 2021

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

His propulsion system is repulsor based - explosive thrust from nothing but electricity (hence the suit not needed a refuel and drawing its power from his mini ARC reactor. As far as i know no one's gotten close to electricity = thrust (bar ION drives which are slow as hell but have an effectively infinite top speed) Until you sort that, your battlesuit's going to need refueling often.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

What I want to know is, isn't it a bit cramped in his chest, with the ARC reactor?

In the first film the lovely Ms. Potts puts her hand into his chest cavity, almost to the wrist - Where are the organs that should be there, like say, lungs?

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Maybe the split in between the Lungs.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

He seems to be missing the entire breastbone which supports the ribs. His chest should actually be quite .. squishy..

7. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

Actually it can be done with extremely high voltage difference (30kV+) between a cooper wire and aluminium foil. There are most likely videos of it being demonstrated on youtube typically know as a lifting triangle (or something along those lines) if I remember correctly.

The usual idiots state it is "Anti-gravity" but its just ionised air being accelerated between the two. NASA did some research on it a while back I believe but ended up shelving it.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yes, I know the lungs are not one organ :p

But:

[​IMG]

The ARC reactor looks to be about in the same place as the heart, and those big pipes supplying oxygen to the lungs :p

Not to mention his strawberry tart.

A-la:

[​IMG]

9. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Could have much more of an internal structure that creates its own breastbone?

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hypothetically, if it is "rough" on the outside the breastbone might eventually grow and interact with the tube. But since he is so old the rate of bone growth would be significantly lower than that of babies or kids.

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Yes, well I will be expecting to upset quite a few people, and I will not hand it over to the US government, and Mr. Hammer can keep his greedy paws for himself!

12. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Personally, I think the best way to create an energy source powerful enough... Is to not create one at all... Instead, siphon it off of something that already creates more power than any of us could usefully utilize.

So for example, create a small worm hole. Have one opening be lets say, in the bottom of your boots, and the second be lets say inside the sun somewhere? Voila, much better than an panzy arc reactor, you now have a trillion psi. plasma firehose coming out of the bottoms of your feet with and with the added bonus of a nearly infinite amount of energy behind it. (for all practical purposes)

Now not only do you have the capability to reach a fraction of light-speed, your new found boot boosters now have the added weapons capability of a several mile long plasma cutter, hot enough to carve out chunks of the earths crust, and melt any known substance to man. Not only that, your boots now probibly would emit the single loudest sound known to man kind, that should get some attention.

This still not good enough weapon for you? Just open another wormhole in your gloves, and have the other end be in front of a gamma ray burst. Should have enough power to instantly fry anything in front of your palm for several billion miles, bad guy ran to a nearby solar system? no problem! Just aim your hand at his solar system and let it rip! Can't beat radiation of that magnitude!

There are only a few mild drawbacks of these systems, such as how do you turn it off, how do you also keep from having all the atoms in your body disassociated. The humongous amount of radiation erupting from your feet, and how to actually create a wormhole. But, Meh them just be details.

Perhaps, a more practical approach to this whole wormhole power transmission, would to instead just have the wormhole carry power leads to a few nuclear power-plants, that aughta provide enough go-juice for your iron-man suit needs! (But only panzy-men do this option)

As far as near term Iron-man suit powering, the only thing I could think of that would have high enough efficiency and go-juice to be practical in that small of size would be an anti-matter power cell. 100% mass-to-energy conversion cheesecake! :rock:

So a todo list for any aspiring iron-men:

1: Buy a Shelby cobra
    2: Don't land on it in the development of your suit.
    3-5.999E23: Make wormhole generator/ or anti-matter power-cell
    6.0E24: Profit???

13. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Just don't crash while wearing the suit or you might take out an entire city with you.

14. stivalmighty

stivalmighty What's a Dremel?

Not far I suppose, I more worrying about The Terminator 3 technology comming.

15. Omni

Omni What's a Dremel?

i wouldn't say we are close at all we don't have the technology to for a movable powersorce that small. this was the how the suit was powered so not possible outside a lab. also the flying wont be possible till u can work out how u have jet engines operational with out any fuel soure!

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

For your deliberation:
    The Rule of Cool.

17. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

You'd be amazed what you can do with a roll of duct tape and a rubber band trust me you can make anything fly. Now landing thats a different matter :)

18. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I think we realise the suit is quite far away but how about that crazy desk orniment in peppers office when tony brings her strawberrys?