1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming BioShock was Unmissable

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 May 2010.

1. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

i thought it was a great game but when you get to the third area (the green ish one, with the grass and tropics), it just becomes so slow. Tried to play it twice and always get stuck there.

Bioshock 2 just enforces thaty idea but very early on..

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

BioShock was pretty good, it was just heavily-nerfed for the console crowd and that's a massive shame.

The same thing applies to Far Cry 2 - not trying to be the same kind of game at all, of course, but I interpreted it as a spirited attempt to do something rather special that was destroyed by the demands of five year olds with Playstations.

As you may have realised, I resent this.

3. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I don't agree at all. The flaws in Bioshock, highlighed in this article, have nothing to do with the demands of catering to console-owning demographics. You're just using console owners as a scapegoat rather than giving due thought to why the flaws were present and what should have been done to correct them.

Consider the flaws again: wonky shooting, repetitive later sections, typical final boss - none of these are features that can be said to appeal to console gamers, so blaming the console demographic for their appearance is just silly.

I suspect the causes of these problems were a lack of experience in developing tight FPS controls, tight release deadlines and an understandably less-than-perfect combination of ambition and imagination.

Also, your description of console gamers as "five year olds" is a bit weak and, if I may say so (with irony fully intended), a bit childish.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Remembering the wide-screen problem, remembering the awful drm dilema's around the game, the ever repeating mini pipe games for every goddamn door/chest whatever.

But it was a 'nice' late night vacation filler that I 'needed' to complete just to see how it ends.

5. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

I loved the first Bioshock. I plaid the first 5 mins of bioshock 2 and for some reason it disgusted me. Not touched it since...

6. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Could'nt get through Bioshock either, just got bored after a couple of hours.

I badly want another System Shock game :/

7. veato

veato I should be working

Well said sir. I'm so tired of hearing 'console kiddy.....' rubbish.

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Loved Bioshock (especially the twist), can't seem to get interested enough to get the 2nd game though.

9. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I enjoyed playing BS when it first came out. BS2 on the other hand, I found myself wanting it to end but it kept going and going... same game different story.

I bought BS and rented BS2 (No faith in it really).

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If my impression of console games is coloured, it's because I made the massive mistake of playing quite a bit of Metal Gear Solid 4 recently. What a technical tour de force, but good grief, what an absoulte cluster-asterisks of a game.

11. Hazchem

Hazchem Minimodder

Everyone goes on about the Vita-Chamber and how it breaks the game, am I the only one who simply loaded my previous saved game if I died? I thought they were something of a cop out so I didn't use them at all throughout the game.

12. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Ahh, you're witnessing a totally different phenomenon there, which I call Japanese Game Syndrome, where it feels like you're playing a game that was designed in the mid-1990s. I happen to agree with you on that one. I've felt similarly baffled when playing recent Japanese games like Lost Planet 2 and Resident Evil 5.

I tend to play Western games almost exclusively and, coming from a PC gaming background, I rarely feel like I'm being limited or treated immaturely by virtue of playing the games on a console. Sure, a mouse and keyboard are still faster in an FPS and if you have to access a hundred different spells a joypad isn't the best, but I've never felt like my overall experience has been downgraded, especially when playing games designed to take advantage of a console's strengths. I think Mass Effect 2 on X360 is a fine example.

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This.
    If it weren't for my resentment towards it, that is.

Not if you saw it coming, as most people who played System Shock 2 did. The plot twists in Bioshock were just an expansion on the very same twist in System Shock 2, adapted to fit the Bioshock setting.
    For me it was a predictable rehash (just like the rest of the game), not an exciting development.

My stupidly-long response to Joe's thread a while back pretty-much covers my stance on Bioshock:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2230418&postcount=30

I like this statement, it made me imagine what BioShock would be like as some kind of point and click adventure instead, a modern Myst-clone.
    That would have been far, far better than the unsatisfying action-rpg 'lite' it turned out to be and I think I'd resent it far less.
    Of course, then it would never appeal to the Halo-heads who drive the gaming market these days and would be underhyped and quickly forgotten about.

Funny, that.

Last edited: 10 May 2010
  14. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

Loved Bioshock, but hated Bioshock 2 which definatl suffers from sequel syndrome.

15. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

I've been playing it for months, i like it but keep loosing interest then pick it up again, I'm passed the plot twist at the end and I'm sure there's not a lot left to go but I'll get to it. If there were a console port out there I consider unmissable it's batman arkham asylum. That game played like a movie and just works. Bioshock is just good, let down by being tedious at times

16. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Yes, me too, twice! But i'm determined to play it all the way to the end properly so i can play the second game!

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Three times for me. Maybe I'll be able to form an opinion on it when it stops boring me to death.

Anyway, I look forward to reading the next "this game was universally hated/controversial but I think it's really good" article.

18. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

For some reason I can't play dark enclosed FPS games. They give me motion sickness. Plus I didn't find the first 3 hours of it much fun anyways, or else I would have played the game in 30 minutes spurts.

19. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

I disagree completely, absolutely loved both games, and definitely 2 of my favourite games ever, I won't be forgetting them in a hurry (if ever!) highly recommend everyone tries both of them at least once.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Bioshock as an overall package was a worthy addition, the weak point was the combat, which could get a bit repetitive. The design and story aspects though were well implemented.

Tags: Add Tags