1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment First DSLR what to choose

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Archtronics, 5 Apr 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Hey

Well basically I want to get more into photography main reason that has prompted it is my course a uni which is architecture and I would like to get a DSLR but I have no real clue were to start I obvously dont want to spend loads but some advise on some good bigginner cameras would be very helpfull. :)

thanks

p.s i dont mind buying second hand.

2. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Nikon D5000 if your budget stretches that far. Wherebouts in Chester are you ? I am near there also.

If you want alternatives, Olympus E-620 or Canon 500D are similar prices, depends on your budget.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2010
  3. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

cheers I will have a look and Im live near Malpas (carden park)

4. cybergenics

Ah right, had a friend from Malpas. Got a Pentax K20 and a small Olympus going if you don't want new. Otherwise look in Jessops in Chester but order someone cheaper ! Park Cameras is cheap, just google it.

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Sorry been caught up with uni work out of intrest what sought of price would u suggest for a pentax k20 and the olympus you stated.

Mark

6. cybergenics

Ah, I sold them both...

What is your budget ? If you are likely to get one and want to upgrade, might be worth spending more, to begin with. Nikon D-90 can be had body only for about £629. The kit lens is **** though, I can post some shots to demonstrate if you like. Budget for a better lens too, or go with the D-5000 kit, the kit lens is (less range) but better quality.

7. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Well I was hoping to get something around the 400-500 pound mark, been looking in the four thirds system which I rather like but when You compare the prices there abit expensive. Also had had a look at some canons the 500d and the 450d second hand caught my eye.

Budget wise Im waiting to see how much I can sell my compact camera for I spent 300 on it so hopefully should get abit of that back.

I really just want something to learn on and produce some good images.

8. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Personally I'd go to jessops - and find whatever Canon and Nikon offer for the price you're willing to pay. Handle them both a bit, see what feels most comfortable, then go find that somewhere cheaper elsewhere. Spend the money you saved on a decent bag.

There are of course the other manufacturers, and you can find many reasons why you should and shouldn't (price, choice of lenses, availability) look at them as well...

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Just to throw a rock in the mill pond, there are a couple of sellers on Amazon with Pentax K20D's, body only for £450 and £523 currently. The K20D is discontinued though, with the K7 and K-x (my baby) being Pentax's current generation.

TBH though, if you're at all unsure, grab a Nikon D5000 with the VR kit lens like cyber suggests; especially if you're just starting out. Canon and Nikon stuff seems to be more readily available on the high street, although it's not exactly impossible to find bits for other camera makes.

10. cybergenics

You can get an image stabilised E-520 body with a very good kit lens for not much....

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/411/Olympus-E520-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-Olympus-14-42-Lens.html

If you like Four Thirds. Generally speaking there is an IQ advantage, but its quite a long story and there are also disadvantages. Depends what you are going to be doing really.

11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Do tell....

12. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I like the four thirds systems just due to the fact I need a easily portable camera but I also wanted to get into photography bit of a juggle really, Iv played around with my friends canon 450d which I Liked just want a sound bed of knowledge before I purchuse as last time I ended up buying completly the wrong thing, 15 megapixel compact which i realise now was a little silly for what I wanted it for though tbf its a good quality camera.

Main use for the camera will be high detailed shots of architecture. :)

13. veato

veato I should be working

14. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Right, so go down to Park Cameras and ask the man behind the counter if you can fondle their wares. With your hands. Possibly more than once. That's really going to be the only way to really tell if a particular system is for you.

Edit: The K-x is actually a tiny camera compared to previous generations, but I'm totally biased.

15. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

The Nikon D40 is a really good beginner DSLR or the Canon EOS 450D if you want somthing better.

16. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Thanks guys :D Il be popping to a camera shop once I make it home, so far I am liking the canon 450d and the Pentax K-x seem to be a sound choices.

Your shots silver51 look perticulary good with the pentax I must say.

17. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

If this is your end goal, then at some point you are going to end up looking at Tilt/Shift lenses. Keep that in mind when committing to a system. Not all manufacturers offer those lenses as part of their line up.

18. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

19. Vers

Vers ...

I'll be waiting on that one, too :)

20. Vers

Vers ...

FWIW the 450D is one of the best bangs for the buck, IMO. That said, I'd stick to Canon/Nikon offerings because of several factors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.